recompiling kernel: /lib/modules/<version>/misc is not
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fingolfin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: recompiling kernel: /lib/modules/<version>/misc is not Reply with quote

I installed Gentoo last weekend without a hitch. Compiling the kernel succeeded and upon reboot I had everything working except my USB mouse.
I found out that I needed to recompile my kernel with the correct modules to get USB support, so I did so and all went well. Except a few modules that worked before, plust the new USB ones don't load any more.

I recompiled many times trying to solve this. I'm pretty sure I've been recompiling correctly:

make mrproper;
<restore .config backup>
make menuconfig;
make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

I also changed the EXTRAVERSION in the Makefile so that my new modules would go in a different directory under /lib/modules. All my recompiled kernels install and boot just fine (using GRUB), except for a few modules that don't load, which happen to be all the ones in my modules.autoload:

NVdriver (I expected this, need to recompile for each kernel I think)
snd-card-emu10k1
snd-pcm-oss
(the usb modules too, don't remember their names)

I finally found that I don't have a /lib/modules/<version>/misc directory in my recompliled modules, but I do in my original modules folder. This directory contains all my snd* modules. So why don't I get this directory when I recompile? I've searched everywhere and can't figure out what's wrong. I hope all the smart people here in the forums can help me.
static
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you been remembering to copy the bzImage file from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot to /boot? Believe it or not, my first gentoo install I forgot :roll:
Fingolfin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: copying bzImage Reply with quote

Yes, I've copied /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/bzImage-custom2, which is on the same partition as /.
My /boot/grub/menu.lst is as follows:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hdb1 vga=775

title=gentoo Linux Custom 2
root(hd1,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage-custom2 root=/dev/hdb1 vga=775

title=Windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
Superdog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Same Problem Reply with quote

Got the same Problem, installed Gentoo last friday and everything worked fine, but when rebooting with the fresh kernel, the module for my network card didn't load. The module is there (looked for it and found it) but modprobe doesn't find it. already found out that modprobe uses the wrong paths, but I don't know how to change modprobes presets
tod
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: recompiling kernel: /lib/modules/<version>/misc is Reply with quote

Fingolfin wrote:

NVdriver (I expected this, need to recompile for each kernel I think)
snd-card-emu10k1
snd-pcm-oss
(the usb modules too, don't remember their names)

I finally found that I don't have a /lib/modules/<version>/misc directory in my recompliled modules, but I do in my original modules folder. This directory contains all my snd* modules. So why don't I get this directory when I recompile? I've searched everywhere and can't figure out what's wrong. I hope all the smart people here in the forums can help me.

Hi!

The alsa sound kernel drivers are similar to the NVdriver. You need to remerge after every kernel upgrade.

hth

tod
tod
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Same Problem Reply with quote

Superdog wrote:
Got the same Problem, installed Gentoo last friday and everything worked fine, but when rebooting with the fresh kernel, the module for my network card didn't load. The module is there (looked for it and found it) but modprobe doesn't find it. already found out that modprobe uses the wrong paths, but I don't know how to change modprobes presets

Hi!

Just a guess, but you might try manually

#update-modules

although I think that that gets run automagically on reboot.

hth

tod
Fingolfin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Its all cool... Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip about reemerging alsa, that fixed the sound drivers. I tried the USB modules again and they work now. A simple solution to seemingly difficult problem. I'm happy. :D
MasquedAvenger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, make clean before you make dep, not after. I've run into problems in the past by doing it the other way around.

James
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: