LVM2 disk failure
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: LVM2 disk failure Reply with quote

hi,

This is the scenario:

I have 4 disks together in one LVM2 logical group. Unfortunately one of my disks in LVM that also was carrying my root partition died (not completely, it has a lot of bad sectors).

I did not have any RAID on it nor do i have any backup of the lvm configuration.

Is there any chance I can recover data from other 3 disks? I don't mind using 3rd party tools to do that.

Thanks,

zeky
fikiz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I think that the Volume Group structure is replicated among all the Physical Volumes that belong to it. This can give you the possibility to recover the Logical Volumes that doen't had extents on the failed disk.

You should connect the other 3 disks to a working machine (or boot from an USB key) then try commands like lvmdump or lvmdiskscan . Maybe you can activate the VG and mount the LV that are healthy.

alternatively, if you still have access to the /etc/lvm directory of your system you can find a text version of the Volume Group structure. With it, it is possible to attempt a manual recover; I made it a couple of times, but it isn't so simple.

I don't know recovery tools for LVM, sorry.

hth,
ciao.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an article here.

Here is an excerpt wrote:
When a mirror leg fails, LVM converts the mirrored volume into a linear volume, which continues to operate as before but without the mirrored redundancy. At that point, you can add a new disk device to the system to use as a replacement physical device and rebuild the mirror.

Hope it helps :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: