View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiss-o-matic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Xorg busted after upgrading Reply with quote

My mchine has some old packages in it, so a whole deep world update isn't happening (blockers). I did some packages, and apparently one of them really cocked up the works. I indeed did re-emerge the nivida drivers after doing a new kernel. I get this error

Code:

XF86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0

/dev/tty0 indeed, does not exist. I've googled arond and found some really old posts... none o them leading me to a solution though.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you follow the Xorg 1.6 Upgrade Guide?
kiss-o-matic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure did. /dev/tty0 still doesn't exist. :(
kiss-o-matic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have really fisted myself on this one. It was bitching about fsck.reiserfs not being available. reiserfsprogs were indeed unemerged. Remerged them and rebooted, and not it says the block is corrupted and only reboots. Blech. I'll go in w/ a System Repair CD, but somethin tells me grabbing the handful of files that I store locally, sticking them elsewhere, and starting from scratch is a far better plan that surgically messing with the current build.

Still not sure what the problem is though. /dev was basically empty, so of course, nothing worked. I think the tty0 thing was pure coincidence. If it wasn't that, it would've been one o a myriad of other things.
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiss-o-matic wrote:
/dev was basically empty, so of course, nothing worked.

That one sounds like a problem with udev. Maybe it isn't being started up? Unfortunately I don't know enough about it to know what to suggest to try.
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiss-o-matic wrote:
I seem to have really fisted myself on this one. It was bitching about fsck.reiserfs not being available. reiserfsprogs were indeed unemerged. Remerged them and rebooted, and not it says the block is corrupted and only reboots. Blech. I'll go in w/ a System Repair CD, but somethin tells me grabbing the handful of files that I store locally, sticking them elsewhere, and starting from scratch is a far better plan that surgically messing with the current build.

Still not sure what the problem is though. /dev was basically empty, so of course, nothing worked. I think the tty0 thing was pure coincidence. If it wasn't that, it would've been one o a myriad of other things.

Perhaps you could try and post the output of dmesg?
kiss-o-matic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmesg gave nothing really good. In fact, it had only one very vague error. I suspected dbus, and tried re-emerging it w/ the kitchen sink. The reiserfs thing really screwed me though. I wound up cocking up the super block when I ran fsck.reiserfs --rebuild-sf. Thank GOD I made a tarball of my homedir. I think there's one MySQL database I would've rather saved, but I won't die without it. Other than that, all my data is properly stored elsewhere, so I'm not too bothered by rebuilding (which I'm going to start in about 30 minutes as it were).
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiss-o-matic wrote:
dmesg gave nothing really good. In fact, it had only one very vague error. I suspected dbus, and tried re-emerging it w/ the kitchen sink. The reiserfs thing really screwed me though. I wound up cocking up the super block when I ran fsck.reiserfs --rebuild-sf. Thank GOD I made a tarball of my homedir. I think there's one MySQL database I would've rather saved, but I won't die without it. Other than that, all my data is properly stored elsewhere, so I'm not too bothered by rebuilding (which I'm going to start in about 30 minutes as it were).

Okay :) . Good luck, pity we could not help you :( . One question, seeing you use ReiserFS, I was wondering the following: Are you going to use it again after these experiences? Do you think it could be related to the FS?
kiss-o-matic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not using it. This was an old build -- I've since moved on to ext3. The added speed I might get isn't really worth it. Already ran fdisk -- ext3 it is.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: