View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eulallia1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: XMonad issue post-installation Reply with quote

I've emerge xmonad, xmonad-contrib, and its dependencies.

After the installation I copied /usr/share/doc/xmonad-0.8.1/xmonad.hs to ~/.xmonad/, set xmonad to run in my xinitrc and started the wm.

For some reason however I get

xmonad.hs:13:17:
Could not find module `XMonad.StackSet':
Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

consistently. This being the default config there doesn't seem to be any difference with the config that xmonad defaults to however this is preventing me from using any other config which implements this module.

If you've ran into this issue or have some advice I'd be greatly indebted.

Thank you
myceliv
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like XMonad didn't get installed or registered correctly, or perhaps you changed ghc versions afterward? Like python or other toolchain bits if you change major compiler versions you'll need to rebuild things afterward. You could unmask and install app-admin/haskell-updater to rebuild haskell libs and apps for you whenever changed dependencies or toolchain requires it.

If you can, ask for help in irc on #gentoo-haskell, or, (probably quicker to get help:) #xmonad on freenode. This will likely be easier to troubleshoot that way. Otherwise please pastebin the output of
Code:
ghc-pkg check
and check that
Code:
ghc-pkg list xmonad
and
Code:
ghc-pkg list xmonad-contrib
list the right versions as installed in
Code:
/some/path/to/package.conf
. Also please pastebin your xmonad.hs somewhere just in case something's messed up there. If you're using the super verbose ones from man/xmonad.hs perhaps use wgetpaste or hpaste.org instead of putting it inline here.
eulallia1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

myceliv wrote:
Looks like XMonad didn't get installed or registered correctly, or perhaps you changed ghc versions afterward? Like python or other toolchain bits if you change major compiler versions you'll need to rebuild things afterward. You could unmask and install app-admin/haskell-updater to rebuild haskell libs and apps for you whenever changed dependencies or toolchain requires it.

If you can, ask for help in irc on #gentoo-haskell, or, (probably quicker to get help:) #xmonad on freenode. This will likely be easier to troubleshoot that way. Otherwise please pastebin the output of
Code:
ghc-pkg check
and check that
Code:
ghc-pkg list xmonad
and
Code:
ghc-pkg list xmonad-contrib
list the right versions as installed in
Code:
/some/path/to/package.conf
. Also please pastebin your xmonad.hs somewhere just in case something's messed up there. If you're using the super verbose ones from man/xmonad.hs perhaps use wgetpaste or hpaste.org instead of putting it inline here.

for now I'll stay on the forums and i'll ask later on #xmonad

here's the output of the requested commands: http://pastebin.com/f2d5ae63b
myceliv
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it can be confusing to run user installed and system installed versions at same time, but I've never had it give "module not found" errors unless the package install was really broken, which should show up when you run ghc-pkg check. Yours says everything is installed correctly.

I guess what I would do in this situation is choose only one of user or system install for xmonad and xmonad-contrib, uninstall all of them, then re-install. If that doesn't work something must be very strange with your install. I guess you could also try renaming your ~/.xmonad directory and starting from an empty one.

System install (recommended):

• ghc-pkg unregister --user xmonad
  • emerge -a --depclean xmonad xmonad-contrib
  • emerge -a xmonad-contrib # will pull xmonad too, and any other deps you don't have yet

For user installs:

A reason to choose cabal install method is to use darcs version of xmonad which has many more features currently, since has been so long since last release. However you can also install it with package manager. Use xmonad-contrib-darcs ebuild from haskell overlay.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: