View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i4dnf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gerard82: unlock the widgets (if they are locked), then right click the K-menu icon on your taskbar and select "switch to classic menu stile"
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want it looking like it was all made with crayons by a 5 yr old then stay with KDE 4.3. I removed KDE and depcleaned after the most recent set of upgrades, it's not worth having something that is ugly AND has the usability of a bike with square wheels
Sujao
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
if you want it looking like it was all made with crayons by a 5 yr old then stay with KDE 4.3. I removed KDE and depcleaned after the most recent set of upgrades, it's not worth having something that is ugly AND has the usability of a bike with square wheels

Oh wise cokehabit then please share your endless wisdom with us and tell us which Desktop Environment you chose as your godly tool...Or just stfu and stop spamming.
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
if you want it looking like it was all made with crayons by a 5 yr old then stay with KDE 4.3.

You have a VERY talented 5 yr old and very good crayons when he/she can do these beautiful gradients and glass effects ;-)
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sujao wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

Oh wise cokehabit then please share your endless wisdom with us and tell us which Desktop Environment you chose as your godly tool...Or just stfu and stop spamming.
after 5 years and 3200 posts you think i'm spamming? :roll:

It depends on my mood, I quite often fel at home in something minimal so I use OpenBox for that but for all-round usability I have Gnome with a dark theme and compiz-fusion setting all the effects. Although currently i'm on windows. If you want any screenshots just ask
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apheus wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
if you want it looking like it was all made with crayons by a 5 yr old then stay with KDE 4.3.

You have a VERY talented 5 yr old and very good crayons when he/she can do these beautiful gradients and glass effects ;-)
it's the big blobs of red and other colours which makes it look like someone with crayons has done it
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
Right now, I' running with Kde 4.3.1 on my Quad Core with an Nvidia Top 260 and I must say that it's pretty fast like Kde 3.5.10 actually.

But, on my Thinkpad T61 with a cheap intel card, it's pretty slow actually.

So, like we used to say, Kde est une usine a gaz, I don't know if there is an english expression for that, but if we translate, Kde is like a big gaz factory.

And on my Thinkpad X300, which is very much as T61, I even went from xfce to KDE-3.5.9 half a year ago because KDE-3.5.9 felt snappier ! (+ more consistent). Sad to see how kde-3.5 is slowly starting to disintegrate. What a waste :(
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafo wrote:
The dolphin file manager was mentioned. IMHO the file manager is an application that Microsoft did very well ever since Windows 95, and many X-based file managers have been less fun to use. Not surprisingly my favourite so far is 'xfe'. Now since Dolphin is highly configurable, is it possible to set it up so that you can use it more or less like Windows Explorer?

Windows Explorer does only well as long as you don't know anything better. Especially its file handling is virtually nonexistant.

You can use Dolphin pretty much like Windows Explorer ootb, but is has a lot more features. Yes, it has tree-view.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Oh wise cokehabit then please share your endless wisdom with us and tell us which Desktop Environment you chose as your godly tool...Or just stfu and stop spamming.after 5 years and 3200 posts you think i'm spamming? :roll:

Hi Cokehabit, is this the first time that you post outside the Off The Wall subforum :P

Last edited by d2_racing on Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
Hi Cokehabit, is this the first time that you post outside the Off The Wall subforum :P
in about a year, yes :D
anton_kg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree. It was huge improvement since first releases and 4.3.2 became much better.
However, kde4 is not ready for stabilisation and replacing 3.5 (we don't have slots any longer).
I feel like it's overkilled and not very logical in general. It all starts from KDM with not long enough input fields so user can't see typed password. An invalid password reply is just a black color font, which is again not logical and a bit annoying for some reason.
Very simple and basic functions like window title in the konsole does not work with "screen" so I can't see a progress of emerging packages; the default theme is ugly and not usable on small screens (laptops) and so on.

Yes, it all might be possible to change, replace, reconfigure etc but it's not ready for end user.
If it get stable for x86 as it got for amd64, I'll kick developers, mask it locally or switch to another WM like gnome, although i never used it before.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anton_kg wrote:
It all starts from KDM with not long enough input fields so user can't see typed password. An invalid password reply is just a black color font, which is again not logical and a bit annoying for some reason.

Why would you want to 'see' your typed password when there are just (lots of) dots? Although I'll agree that a too short input field isn't quite elegant, it simply doesn't matter.
anton_kg wrote:
Very simple and basic functions like window title in the konsole does not work with "screen" so I can't see a progress of emerging packages

Easy. Settings -> Edit Current Profile -> Tabs -> Tab Title Format -> Insert (Window Title set by Shell)

Last edited by asturm on Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anton_kg wrote:
Very simple and basic functions like window title in the konsole does not work with "screen" so I can't see a progress of emerging packages

I don't know what you mean by "screen" here, but:

Right click in Konsole, select "Edit current profile". Open the second tabsheet (should be named something like "sub windows") and set the first "format" line to "%w". Now konsole and yakuake get their sub window titles from the shell. This way I can see emerge's progress in yakuake, although it lags a bit. For konsole, the current sub window title is also the main window title.

Edit: Someone was faster than me - more accurate instructions for $LANG=en above ^^

Last edited by Apheus on Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerard82 wrote:
I have searched the system settings but I can't find the classic menu style.

unlock plasmoids, right click on the k-menu menu button, choose 'change to classic menu'

gerard82 wrote:

Another thing I'd like to have the same as in 3.5 is ctrl-tab desktop switching.
How do I set these in kde4?
Gerard.

in system-settings mouse&keyboard, global shortcuts?

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sujao wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
shift+alt+f12, eyecandy gone

True, but also all the effects. And they are not only eyecandy in my oppinnion. For example in 3.5 you also had the title bare of a window fly to the taskbar when you minimize the window. I find this helpful to see where this window went to. In 4.3 only a composite effect is available. Actually NO effects without composize are there.

you can turn on/off certain features with either key shortcuts or in systemsettings

asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When have KDE users been afraid to reconfigure things so they'd suit their needs? That's what it is all about...
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Sujao wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

after 5 years and 3200 posts you think i'm spamming?

no, trolling.

asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Usability in KDE4.3 is worse then 3.5.10 Reply with quote

Sujao wrote:
Example: After you pluged in a new usb device you see a new "button" in the device widget with the symbol of a usb dongle and it has a hover effect so you click it. It also says "2 actions for this device". But where are they? Where can I see them? You have to click the whole device button for the old "What do you want to do?" Window to appear. But then I see all the actions anyway, why show them earlier? And after it has been mounted, there is a smal icon on the right of the device button. But has no hover effect of its own so one assumes its just a status indicator. But NO, if you click on that symbol you will anmount the device! How should I know this? Oh and then I realize there is a smaller icon on the picture of the usb dongle too. Is that clickable too? No, not this time. You get my idea?

Well, I didn't have any problems with the Device Menu at all, maybe because I automatically associated the Eject button with what it is. However, I agree that the following ancient 'Action' Menu should be moved inside that same widget.
Sujao
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
you can turn on/off certain features with either key shortcuts or in systemsettings

So? Where exactly can I turn on the minimize-animation without having composite?
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patient: every time I try to use KDE 4.? I get this terrible pain in my head

Doctor: My advice is to stop using KDE 4.?
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sujao wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

So? Where exactly can I turn on the minimize-animation without having composite?

you turn on composite and everything off you don't need.

and even with 3.5 composite was used for that. in fact it used COMPOSITE instead of aiglx&co

Sujao
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Sujao wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

you turn on composite and everything off you don't need.

and even with 3.5 composite was used for that. in fact it used COMPOSITE instead of aiglx&co

You didn't understand me. I said "WITHOUT having composite". I had no composite in 3.5.10 and still the animation of the title bar moving to the taskbar.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure you had COMPOSITE. The COMPOSITE extension of X has nothing to do with the compositing effects you might now from compiz - or kde4

Sujao
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure I didn't have it. I activated it in xorg.conf after installing KDE 4.3 or do you have root access to my machine and know something I don't? :D
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the composite extension is enabled in X by default.

and again - composite extension has nothing to do with compositing effects in compiz or kde4. It was/is a quick&dirty workaround to enable some effects.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: