How can I see errors that fly off the screen on boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mindjoy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: How can I see errors that fly off the screen on boot Reply with quote

I installed Gentoo AMD64 from the LiveDVD. Now I have two problems:

(1) I cannot boot into the new system and I don't know what the problem is since all the messages fly off the screen. Is there a way to see these messages? Are they saved in some log? If so, where and how can I see them?

(2) If I reboot into the LiveDVD, it logs in automatically into gentoo/gentoo and I cannot gain access into root since I don't know its password. How can I get to su to root to check my installation on the hard drive?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

John
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) Maybe, depending on what is failing. Generally, only the last couple of screens of text will be useful for this problem anyway. You might be able to page backward, unless your problem is that you get a kernel panic on boot. Start with providing us everything that is on the screen when the system ceases to produce more output.

(2) How did you gain root access to mkfs a filesystem the first time? However you did it, that is probably how you need to gain root this time. Be careful not to mkfs your system again, since that will destroy any existing content.
mindjoy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Can't remember how I booted before starting installation Reply with quote

(1) I uploaded an image of my screen after Gentoo boot fails, you can see it at http://vigord.com/gentoo/boot-screen-messages.jpg.

Please note that I configured GRUB in such a way to boot either Window XP, which was on my hard drive from before or newly installed Gentoo. Booting into Windows works fine.

(2) The problem is that I don't remember how I gained root access the first time. I tried again, but I can't recreate the same thing. I tried interactive boot, but it didn't help. Everything appears like a "twilight zone" right now.

What would be a normal way to install Gentoo from the LiveDVD (made from "livedvd-amd64-multilib-10.1.iso")? I definitely like what I see when I boot the LiveDVD, what is the easiest way to install the same system to the hard drive?
whiteghost
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superuser on live dvd is
[code]sudo su[code]

have to go by handbook to install gentoo. with livedvd is a lot easier, you can copy and paste a lot of commands.
boot error may be because kernel is lacking drivers to see your drive.
something similar here
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-701092-start-425.html

and look at this
http://www.kernel-seeds.org/working.html[/code]
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I see errors that fly off the screen on boot Reply with quote

mindjoy wrote:
I cannot boot into the new system and I don't know what the problem is since all the messages fly off the screen. Is there a way to see these messages? Are they saved in some log? If so, where and how can I see them?

Use the Scroll Lock button. That's what it's there for!
mindjoy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be a problem because my Linux partition is of type xfs (although I think I installed xfs support according to the Handbook)?
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be certain that you enabled xfs file system support in your kernel, because it is disabled by default.

BTW did you forget to set the passwd for root? Chapter 8. Configuring your System
mindjoy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Conclusion Reply with quote

Thank you everybody who tried to help! The problem was in the missing of SATA drivers (nVidia based) that were not configured into the kernel. Everything else was done properly. This was pointed out in this posting: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-785486-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html.
(BTW: The Scroll Lock does not work on my box.)

Gentoo Linux rules!
mindjoy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention interesting peculiarity about how LiveDVD AMD64 10.1 boots. If you switch to verbose mode during boot it boots all the way to the KDE with gentoo/gentoo user and then you can't get root access to proceed with the hard drive installation (I haven't tried "sudo su" as somebody suggested here). On the other hand, if you leave it to boot without switching into verbose mode, it will get stuck and stop in the middle of starting the KDE. Then you need to press Alt+F1 to get the command line with root. Just type startx to get into KDE/X Window system. Now you have full blown GUI with root login and, therefore, you can install Gentoo on the hard drive by following the Handbook.

Thank you for your attention, I hope this will help somebody!
Kingoftherings
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: How can I see errors that fly off the screen on boot Reply with quote

Ant_P wrote:

Use the Scroll Lock button. That's what it's there for!

I've always wondered how you can scroll back in the terminal.
So how does scroll lock work? Does it just stop scrolling, or does it allow you to scroll backwards and view what was previously printed?

I can't really test it because as far as I can tell, the scroll lock key was DOA on my keyboard. Or perhaps the scroll lock light doesn't work, I can't tell.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shift+PageUp / Shift-PageDown. The scroll lock key serves as an alternative to Ctrl+S/Ctrl+Q, in that it temporarily inhibits the generation of additional output.
ReeferMac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mindjoy wrote:
Forgot to mention interesting peculiarity about how LiveDVD AMD64 10.1 boots. If you switch to verbose mode during boot it boots all the way to the KDE with gentoo/gentoo user and then you can't get root access to proceed with the hard drive installation (I haven't tried "sudo su" as somebody suggested here). On the other hand, if you leave it to boot without switching into verbose mode, it will get stuck and stop in the middle of starting the KDE. Then you need to press Alt+F1 to get the command line with root. Just type startx to get into KDE/X Window system. Now you have full blown GUI with root login and, therefore, you can install Gentoo on the hard drive by following the Handbook.

Thank you for your attention, I hope this will help somebody!

ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY!
Thanks for the tip! Was wondering how I was going to find the root password for the liveDVD... LOL!
Thanks again!!!!!

- Mac
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: