View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qfingers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: winex-cvs gone!!! Reply with quote

The ebuilds for winex-cvs have been removed. Transgaming requested it. I'm wondering if we can create a site to maintain a ebuild for it. Any ideas? I don't agree with the descision. If there is a cvs version, there should be a build for it. Transgaming doesn't officiall support gentoo. I'm not interested in "renting" there software. They should close source it (which they can't), or open source it (which they should). I have thought about buying it many times for "voting" rights, but looking at the results of the voting, most people vote for games I don't own or want to play.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfingers wrote:
The ebuilds for winex-cvs have been removed. Transgaming requested it.

I'm wondering where you heard about this, can you provide more information/details -- like a link to an article or post (I seem to have missed this)?

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.transgaming.com/license.php?source=1

You can still go there and download the source?
qfingers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:

I'm wondering where you heard about this, can you provide more information/details -- like a link to an article or post (I seem to have missed this)?

I did a emerge rsync this moring and the winex-cvs-3000.ebuild has the details. Here is the quote from it:
winex-cvs-3000.ebuild wrote:

This package was removed from portage tree due to the request from Transgaming. Here is an extract from there email:
The primary reason for the WineX CVS tree being publicly available "under the Aladdin Free Public License (AFPL) is to give outside" developers who have an interest in the project the ability to track our most current work, and to assist us with code or testing. Our work is very complex though, and only a limited number of developers have the skills required to contribute. The intent of the public CVS tree is *not* to provide a 'free' version of WineX that can be used without paying for it. | We want everyone with an interest in the project to contribute, whether they contribute code, or money to assist us with our development efforts. | We felt that the AFPL was a good compromise to allow that to happen, which is why we chose it.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Glad I have all my games working in Wine at the moment. I can live without Winex then I guess. I've never been interested in paying for code that is sub-quality, that's why I don't use Microsoft software any more. I can get problem ridden and frusterating code for free, instead of subscribing to it through transgaming.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Niek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, this is lame. First, they forced Debian too remove WineX from Debian's packaging system (see this thread) and now they are forcing Gentoo to remove the source based packages :roll:
The old ebuilds are still (and will ever be) availible via CVS: http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/app-emulation/winex-cvs/?hideattic=0
If there's a problem with this ebuilds (not longer working due to structure changes in CVS etc), please notify me about it and I'll try to fix this. In that case we can put them online at breakmygentoo.net.
Bye,

Niek.
Moofed
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This explains why cvs wouldn't connect last night when i was trying to re-emerge winex to work with glibc 2.3.2. I gave up with the cvs and just grabbed the binary off of p2p. I dont even feel bad for doing it after learning about their latest shenanigans. :x
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I BonezTheGoon... why pay for code when thats what microsoft does to its users... Linux is suppose to be based on a free software community. This is not to say that I don't support WineX's software, I personally love it, I just think it should be made free
Raymond R
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games cost time and money to make. I would be more than happy to go into a retail outlet and shell out $70 for a linux release.
Until such time as Linux ports for games are common place, there will be a real need for companies like TransGaming (I am a subscriber).

dlpierce please read this: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=8272
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish that places like gamestop and babbages would start getting linux retails game in... i would gladly buy them

What are the chances of HL2 coming out with a linux port? Anybody heard anything about this?
kosamae
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oubipaws wrote:
i wish that places like gamestop and babbages would start getting linux retails game in... i would gladly buy them

What are the chances of HL2 coming out with a linux port? Anybody heard anything about this?

There was an online petition, that started about a month ago, and I am planning on doing a hard, paper petition. However, my paper petition hasn't been going so well, I got a lot of initial interest, but only one person mailed me a signed letter. If anyone else is interested, email me at kosamae@ignmail.com for my address, and mail it to me soon. I'm sending in whatever I have on August 22.
endgamer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... if I wanted to pay, I would just get m$ windoze... Transgaming has lost my support, and I had decided I would pay the cash this morning. Screw that now.
qfingers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kosamae wrote:

There was an online petition, that started about a month ago, and I am planning on doing a hard, paper petition. However, my paper petition hasn't been going so well, I got a lot of initial interest, but only one person mailed me a signed letter. If anyone else is interested, email me at kosamae@ignmail.com for my address, and mail it to me soon. I'm sending in whatever I have on August 22.

The problem with petitions is that there are too many gaming manufacturers. You'll get a few but not all, and usually the few you do get are games that didn't sell well or they have a linux fan working at the company. Transgaming does ok stuff, and said they would release there code GPL or LGPL when they had 20000 subscribers which they need to stay in business. Well, they have signed contracts with other companys for there source (which was never voted on). So now they can divide there work with doing things for subscribers and these companies. As a subscriber you are not guaranteed they will release code and how long it will take. So now I get to pay $5.00 a month waiting for the "next" release which can happen sometime in the future. I'm not sure I'm interested in that. If they had specific timelines for things to get done, I would be more interested in subscribing, but not without time schedules.
Raymond R
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfingers wrote:

...So now I get to pay $5.00 a month waiting for the "next" release which can happen sometime in the future. I'm not sure I'm interested in that. If they had specific timelines for things to get done, I would be more interested in subscribing, but not without time schedules.

I subscribe for three months everytime there is a new version. I did once last year, and once this year. This way I get something everytime I lay my money down. $15 a year is pretty minimal ($1.25/month), I spend more on coffee in a week than I have to pay TransGaming in a month for their software.
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree that it doesn't cost that much, but its the point behind it.

I bought it at first, then I got the CVS version and realized how little difference there was between the two... now without the free cvs, I will be using wine and only wine
qfingers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oubipaws wrote:
i agree that it doesn't cost that much, but its the point behind it.

I bought it at first, then I got the CVS version and realized how little difference there was between the two... now without the free cvs, I will be using wine and only wine

Currently I have to use both. But, it may come to the point where wine is "better" then winex. If that happens, subscriptions will stop and it will be over. Transgaming's cash cow will have to find another field to graze.
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe if more people start to use wine, then transgaming will decide to release their binaries free too :D
hjlane3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The intent of the public CVS tree is *not* to provide a 'free' version of WineX that can be used without paying for it.

This is crap. I say boycott transgaming's WineX.

Quote:
emerge unmerge winex winex-cvs winex-transgaming

And btw, it's not only winex-cvs that's been removed, but winex has too. Leaving only winex-transgaming left. IE, pay for the package to give put in /usr/portage/distfile and then emerge.
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sorry, but thats bull *crap*...
wine plays most of my games fine, so screw transgaming
qfingers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hjlane3 wrote:
This is crap. I say boycott transgaming's WineX.

And btw, it's not only winex-cvs that's been removed, but winex has too. Leaving only winex-transgaming left. IE, pay for the package to give put in /usr/portage/distfile and then emerge.

I think they should also remove the winex-transgaming. Transgaming should have to maintain the ebuilds for there product. I certainly don't want gentoo's developers working for free on Transgaming "commercial" offering.
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it make it easier having gentoo handle all of the ebuilds... but I agree some groups should handle their own ebuilds
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, they don't put their copy protection work in the CVS, fair enough that's closed source and not cover by the licensing of the rest of WineX - but removing CVS access because they are unwilling to allow people to sample their work before being bound by their subscription crap.

I signed up when they first arrived with the promise to let the changes to WINE flow back to the main tree after a certain amount of people paid them - that never happened. I continued to pay in order to play my games - and they never worked.

Please tell me what in the world should make me support them or encourage my friends to buy their product?
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres no reason they should...
that would be like microsoft requiring us to pay for directX... you know that would be bullshit and you know someone else would come along and do it for free
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get this straight... They want to provide free code to people who are going to contribute, but to noone else. Thats pretty low IMO.

Once again Transgaming has managed to piss me off...

I wear my avatar with pride.
Sir_Stinksalot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can they really stop you from redistributing a public cvs?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: