Slow ICC...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apopatos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Slow ICC... Reply with quote

I wanted to do some benchmarks comparing lame encoding with different versions of gcc and various CFLAGS.
The best time was with GCC-4.4.2 and CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O3 -pipe" in my 64bit system.
The time was 1m5.916s.
Then thought to try a Window$ binary via Wine. I found a binary of lame that had bin compiled with ICC-11.1.046. The results were quite amazing since this 32bit binary via emulation gave me a score of 1m2.794s!
So I decided to try ICC natively. Followed the instructions and installed ICC-11.1.056 via portage but whatever ICCFLAGS I use the times are always over 1.10s. I even patched with the AuthenticAMD patch without better results.
Now I have these flags in my /etc/make.conf:
Code:
ICCCFLAGS="-O3 -xW"
ICCCXXFLAGS="${ICCCFLAGS}"

I added -xW because my processor is Athlon64@3000+ and supports SSE2.

What could be wrong guys? My native 64 bit version is much slower than the emulated 32 bit one.
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are differences of 10% or less. This is not enough to draw conclusions from because many things can cause a 10% speed difference.

What could be happening:
  • The code is placed differently in memory, leading to different caching effects.
  • The 64-bit code has pointers that are twice as long as the 32-bit code. This results in more memory traffic and higher cache pressure on the 64-bit versions.
  • While 64-bit arithmetic can be expected to help, the code might not be written in a way that allows the compiler to take advantage of that, at least not enough to offset the larger pointers.

...just a few guesses.
Apopatos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it says that lame works pretty well with ICC. Also always lame64 is faster than lame32, despite the CFLAGS :?
Apopatos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it says I must have the libelf library for AMD patch to work http://server01.iiiii.info/patch-AuthenticAMD.html while I have elfutils. Could it be the problem? I suppose not, since both do the same job, right?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: