Threaded FFTW3 on Gentoo vs. <a binary distro> [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diddly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Threaded FFTW3 on Gentoo vs. <a binary distro> [solved Reply with quote

So I'm benchmarking an algorithm, the core of which is an FFT operation implemented by the FFTW library.

I am comparing both the single threaded and multithreaded APIs of FFTW version 3.2.2, running these 2 tests on both Gentoo and another distro. Both use glibc 2.9, both use gcc 4.3 (Gentoo is 4.3.2, other is 4.3.3). FFTW 3 is compiled with the same options/optimizations. I am running this all on the exact same hardware.

The tests just pound away running the FFT operation, and timing the result. I don't care about responsiveness, latency, anything desktop, just data throughput.

I am finding that for all intents and purposes, the single threaded benchmark is very close, with Gentoo slightly ahead (by maybe 5% or so)

However, in the threaded tests the binary distro tops Gentoo, in some cases by as much as 50-100%.

What could cause this to happen? Perhaps some kernel parameter that I am not aware of (I configured the Gentoo one myself, but might have missed something silly?)

Anything else?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by diddly on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
diddly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think I found the cause.

In fact, FFTW was _not_ compiled with all the same options. On Gentoo it was using openmp for threads, while on the binary distro, it was not (which means pthreads). Apparently their pthreads implementation is quicker. When I recompiled FFTW with openmp on the binary distro, the performance was much closer to that of Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: