View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkeating
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: 4 days now... (gnome font(?) problem) Reply with quote

I just got a Athlon-XP system with nvidia driver running smoothly so i went ahead and did a

Code:
emerge gnome

and all was fine till gnome-panel. It seemed to error witha "seg fault'. so i did a single package emerge as followed:

Code:
emerge gnome-panel

and it seemed to take just fine, so I'm assuming it was a heat problem (i have a huge box fan pointing in the case for right now).

there were a few more packages that did this with gnome but i applied the same solution and they all took(?) -- at least they dodn't warn/halt.

I log into Gnome via gdm (gdm works perfectly) and i get icons, the top panel but no fonts and no lower panel. I can click the icon on the top panel or click the two icons on the screen and all i get are popus with very small versions of the icons and a small line resembinly the text (almost looks like the font is at .0005 pixel

I installed Xfce desktop for a temp solution and Xfce uses GTK n such and it works FINE so any ideas on how to figure out wtf happend to gnome? Im seriously out of ideas and I've been working on this for 4 days now.
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I don't really know what you should do, but I found this thread. Maybe one of the suggestions in it will help you.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=67585&highlight=gnome+fonts

Good luck! :D
bkeating
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to link me. Seems that'd work but everything is default and this still wouldn't explain why the bottom panel is missing. Also; all the areas that have text, wether long words or short, the small line like: - is still in it's place so i don't think it's a font problem.

Perhaps this is a Nvidia proble, but even so, How would Xfce run perfectly when it to is based on GTK2?

should I try recompiling gnome-panel? how would i do this? just emerge it again? I did a

Code:
emerge -p gnome-panel

and it states that it will rebuild the package. *shrug* how can I remove it completey (without removing packages dependant on it so i can start fresh with a brand new emerge?
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can simply merge gnome-panel again with
Code:
emerge gnome-panel
If you do that, your old gnome-panel will be unmerged automatically.
Or you can unmerge it first with emerge -C gnome-panel and then merge gnome-panel again.

Just try it.

Hope it helps. :D
bkeating
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, I removed the gnome-panel package and re-emerged it and it erroed again... here are the last several lines;

Code:
mkdir /var/tmp/portage/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2/image/usr/share/gnome/help/workspace-switcher/it/figures
make  install-data-hook
make[5]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2/work/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2/help/it/workspace-switcher'
/bin/sh ../../../mkinstalldirs /var/tmp/portage/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2/image//usr/share/omf/gnome-panel
for file in workspace-switcher-it.omf; do \
        /bin/install -c -m 644 $file.out /var/tmp/portage/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2/image//usr/share/omf/gnome-panel/$file; \
done
/bin/install: cannot stat `workspace-switcher-it.omf.out': No such file or directory
make[5]: *** [install-data-hook-omf] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2/work/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2/help/it/workspace-switcher'
make[4]: *** [install-data-am] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2/work/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2/help/it/workspace-switcher'
make[3]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2/work/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2/help/it/workspace-switcher'
make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2/work/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2/help/it'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2/work/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2/help'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

!!! ERROR: gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.2.2.2 failed.
!!! Function einstall, Line 343, Exitcode 2
!!! einstall failed

? :(
bkeating
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k, nevermind that post... I tried emerging gnome-panel again (didn't change anything) and all is well... *shrug*

but .. the panel and text still do not show on the Gnome desktop :(

is it possible to unmerge ALL gnome-base packages (automated)?
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably be much easier to simply emerge gnome again.
An other thing you could try is to move the gnome-directories from your home-directory.
For example:
Code:
mv .gnome2 .gnom2alt

Then start gnome and see if it helped.
You could also try to emerge fontconfig again.

BTW: Did you try some of the things suggested in the other post, for example run gnome-settings-deamon?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: