View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
particleman14
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: whats to cool about gentoo? Reply with quote

so i did the whole install thing and now i have a very basic system running fluxbox, but simple tasks that i used to do such as execute an .exe file back in windows
it seems like it's 5X harder to do the same in gentoo!

i dont understand i was under the impressions gentoo was cooler than this.
I knew it would be a lil tough, but like simples tasks are huge amounts of work will it ever get better for me!?
digicosm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running a source-based distribution like Gentoo is quite different than running a binary-based OS like Windows. Sure, installing things takes longer. But you have the confidence that things are tuned for your system, worms and virii aren't buried in the EXEs, and life is generally better :-)
particleman14
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya but like gentoo is cool and all, but it seems like unecesary for it to be so difficult to install and do everyday things.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: whats to cool about gentoo? Reply with quote

particleman14 wrote:
I knew it would be a lil tough, but like simples tasks are huge amounts of work will it ever get better for me!?

What simple tasks are you interested in doing?
particleman14
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for example i d/led a IRC script into my home directory

using rox i click on the .exe file and i get an error message saying access denies or something
and i try other ways to open it like in BASH but it still wont work
in windows i dbl clicked
and blam i had a nice IRC script
beejay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is work - always. It can also be a lot of work - depending on what you want to do. You should have known that. You have to read a lot of Documentations, you have to compile nearly everything from scratch. Will it get better? - Yes. Once you have installed the basic kits it is likely possible that they will run forever. However if you are on a real bleeding edge system (i.e. ~x86) Gentoo can sometimes slap your face (but every other distro could do that, too). Positive is the effect of learning with Gentoo. I personally never experienced such an increase in that. Although I already had a lot of Linux-Experience before using Gentoo I can say that I started from the beginning again.

Using Gentoo is fun for me - I like the flexibility and the way to administrate it. There is no major configuration tool that kills your hand-made configs.

It might be possible that you will never really get into Gentoo. That's ok. Some people just want their things working withoud fiddling around in the configs. If you think you are such a person, then use Debian, Mandrake or whatever.
beejay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

particleman14 wrote:

using rox i click on the .exe file and i get an error message saying access denies or something
in windows i dbl clicked

Is this a joke? - You cannot run Windows executables in Linux (it might be possible with wine). Please excuse the question, but are you completely new into Linux? If so you maybe should try another Linux-Distribution which is more user-friendly.

Oh, and btw. : never choose an OS or Software because of it's coolness, since this behaviour is very uncool ;)
particleman14
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the main reason i chose gentoo was for learning and i've learned a whole buttload, but ya i like the idea of custom configuring all my sutff, but sometimes just not all of it.. cause for a user like me i dont need that big extra flexibility, like some parts of gentoo are overkill for me...

good experience but gentoo might not be for me..

if maybe windows had portage then that'd be my kinda thing:)
particleman14
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i know i'm super noob to linux but thats y i chose gentoo so i could challenege myself and i like the challenge but some parts of it are really hard for me and very discourageing when i put in 2 hours of work and fiddling and still get nothing
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'd be a great idea if you'd get yourself a noobie book on linux ...because it's VERY different from win* ...not only the .exe bit ...you'll learn, don't worry, we all did :D

and, i hope you'll enjoy your stay with gentoo (or at least linux)

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is "cool" for many reasons, including but not limited to learning to build and use a linux from the ground up and optimizing your programs for your system by choosing their dependencies yourself with as little hand holding as possible. Just these two reasons alone make it almost "the" optimal linux development system.
particleman14
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also i find that using gentoo everyday things like surfin the net seem a whole lot slower than what i'm used to it takes like 15 secs to load my mozilla is that normal? did i do something wrong?
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digicosm wrote:
Running a source-based distribution like Gentoo is quite different than running a binary-based OS like Windows. Sure, installing things takes longer. But you have the confidence that things are tuned for your system, worms and virii aren't buried in the EXEs, and life is generally better :-)

I don't understand why people don't write viruses for Linux... doesn't take much to list / and delete all...
(If the user is like me and runs 24/7 on root)
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

particleman14 wrote:
also i find that using gentoo everyday things like surfin the net seem a whole lot slower than what i'm used to it takes like 15 secs to load my mozilla is that normal? did i do something wrong?

Yea, youy closed it :). mozilla is slower to load than ie b/c ie never really quits, it loads at boot. Just leave mozilla open. And check out firebird. It's a lot faster.
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

particleman14 wrote:

No. Konquerer (erer?) is faster than mozilla IMHO... ie is loaded in RAM when windoze starts, so it loads faster... but hogs RAM...
pytigger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try "emerge kde" or "emerge gentoo", following the desktop setup guide. Using these Desktop environments are lot more effective for the user (not for the computer of course). There are visual filemanagers, help files, games and other tools for these environments.
If this is no better for you, than you really should try Red Hat or Suse. The latter is really easy to install and setup, but you probably have to pay to get installation CDs and manuals. RH can be installed by CD.

For IRC you should check out Mozilla's IRC client and X Chat, though I don't like the Mozilla one. There's K IRC too, and GAIM, which can access AIM, ICQ and IRC simultaneously. I don't know whether they support scripting. But Linux proves and excellent platform for IRC bots!

The sole fact that you installed Gentoo with X Windows proves you are a relatively smart guy. Now just don't scare away just because it get's harder sometimes. Often enough the learning curve is very steep. Just have trust in yourself and keep on going. You will certainly earn the rewards of your struggles: stability, performance and security, besides all the free software and programming environments.
But not if you give up now!
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely the IRC scripts that you donwloaded was for mIRC and can not be used in a Linux IRC program (without serious modifications I would assume).

The first thing you need to do is to leave your Windows world (i.e everything you have learned about how things are done under Windows and inside Windows programs) and start building your Linux knowledge. It is a different world, things are done differently, scripts used in Windows programs will not work.

If you want things to work as in Windows, use Windows. If you want to learn how Linux does things, you have to get the fundamental knowledge of Linux and how it works and what is different from Windows.

Jumping into Linux and esp. Gentoo without such a knowledge will only give you a frustrating experience. As another poster said, find some good bokks about Linux, read all you can on the web and try to understand what is different between Windows and Linux. When you do, you are ready.

Erik
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<I>Jumping into Linux and esp. Gentoo without such a knowledge will only give you a frustrating experience. As another poster said, find some good bokks about Linux, read all you can on the web and try to understand what is different between Windows and Linux.</I>

I think the original poster is expecting to be considered "cool" because he is able to hand his hand held, not because he is smart enough to figure things out for himself.
Nermal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EzInKy wrote:
<I>Jumping into Linux and esp. Gentoo without such a knowledge will only give you a frustrating experience. As another poster said, find some good bokks about Linux, read all you can on the web and try to understand what is different between Windows and Linux.</I>

I think the original poster is expecting to be considered "cool" because he is able to hand his hand held, not because he is smart enough to figure things out for himself.

Like grammar / spelling and the fact that HTML tags are turned off in this forum.... ;)
TenPin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out using Redhat linux about 2 years ago. I think it was a very good way to start because installing RH7.1 was a breeze and it sets up alot of stuff for you. Nowadays RH9 is even more user friendly and will ease you into using Linux.

After using RH for about 8 months I learned enough of the underlying intricacies of linux to try Gentoo. I also learned that RedHat gives you a pathetic package management system (rpm) and is nowhere near as flexible as Gentoo for dynamic use. (Redhat works well in a corporate environment.)

The trick is to remember that if it doesn't work its only because you don't know what you're doing, not because its broken ;) The solution is to read, faff, read, faff, ask, faff some more... until it works. Yes this can take up an awful lot of time but you learn a heck of alot and if you don't have the time then you have no business complaining... go use Redhat or *gasp* windows.
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

particleman14 wrote:

in windows i dbl clicked

Please don't tell me you're trying to run a Windows executable in Linux.
semiSfear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think Gentoo is though, then hey! Just think of the name "Gentoo", it's the coolest *nix distro name out there :D

Just to enlighten you if you don't know what I'm talking about. Gentoo is the name of a penguin family (just like king penguin). Nice ah... Get it... Gentoo = penguin = Tux = Linux Sure beats the hell out of Red Hat.

No seriously. Changing OS. Specially to linux from Windows is hard. It's like changing transportation, to a helicopter from a car. You have to be interested and read a lot of docs mans. But the best thing with the Gentoo distro is this forum. It has helped me 90% of the times when I didn't know what the hell to do.
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clete2 wrote:
I don't understand why people don't write viruses for Linux... doesn't take much to list / and delete all...

Umm...thought I'd just pipe in here and mention that this is a *VERY bad idea*. One mis-typed command (say for example you wanted to type "rm -rf ./*", but typoed and typed "rm -rf /*"), and your entire system is dead. There's all sorts of other security issues that this brings up, as well. There's no good reason to use root as your regular user; with sudo and other programs available, it's really just bad policy to not use a non-privileged user for day-to-day things...
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nermal wrote:
EzInKy wrote:

Like grammar / spelling and the fact that HTML tags are turned off in this forum.... ;)

ROFL...one too many beers when I posted that I'm afraid :oops:
progster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clete2 wrote:
digicosm wrote:

seriously, in my eyes you're not a linux user... you're not supposed to run root 24/7. What's the use of a multi-user system if you always log in as root? Not to mention security issues and the fact that you could wipe out your entire system without linux complaining... until you try to do something after rm -Rf / somedir/someotherdir finished ;)

~Progster
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: