Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NotQuiteSane wrote:
at this point i'm chrooting in with liveusb to fsck all logial volumes to see if that makes a difference

NQS

so far 2 minor errors in /opt..

corrcted hotname..

same error.

nqs

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
jbarnes8
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well init mounts root as read only....and that might possibly by why it can't fix the filesystems either. I'm not sure if changing it in init is the correct thing to do...but if you have 5 minutes to spare, you could try booting it once with the
"-r" removed from init's line "mount -r /dev/mapper/something something" just to see what happens. If init was completely written for you, I would not suggest it as a permanent fix, but if it boots up correctly then you will know that some script or configuration elsewhere was supposed to take care of it...perhaps the attributes in lvm display are incorrect?

just remember, these are all guesses and that I'm not familiar with LVM (i'm considering using it, that's why I keep trying to help). I seriously doubt mounting without "-r" will mess anything up worse...but there is possibility. Be careful what you do.

I'm not sure how the "precendence" of mount attributes work with LVM. I don't know if you can write to a VG on a filesystem that's mounted read-only

EDIT: my point: it's trying to write to /etc/mtab which resides in (root) /etc which is read only (vg-root mounted read only). mount needs to be able to write to that file otherwise it can't mount other filesystem (like usr or home). mtab keeps track of the filesystems/devices that are currently mounted.
($mount == $cat /etc/mtab )

Last edited by jbarnes8 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:52 am; edited 3 times in total
rufnut
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NotQuiteSane wrote:

same error.

Wonder if you could try an older lvm2 and udev ?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-801954.html

As you can see from the above thread LVM2 has had some recent changes to "static" defaults.

This caused my netbook some grief too with its dmcrypt , lvm booting.

:)
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbarnes8 wrote:
well init mounts root as read only....and that might possibly by why it can't fix the filesystems either. I'm not sure if changing it in init is the correct thing to do...but if you have 5 minutes to spare, you could try booting it once with the
"-r" removed from init's line "mount -r /dev/mapper/something something" just to see what happens. If init was completely written for you, I would not suggest it as a permanent fix, but if it boots up correctly then you will know that some script or configuration elsewhere was supposed to take care of it...perhaps the attributes in lvm display are incorrect?

just remember, these are all guesses and that I'm not familiar with LVM (i'm considering using it, that's why I keep trying to help). I seriously doubt mounting without "-r" will mess anything up worse...but there is possibility. Be careful what you do.

I'm not sure how the "precendence" of mount attributes work with LVM. I don't know if you can write to a VG on a filesystem that's mounted read-only

I'll give it a try. I've been running haggard all weekend. freind went to ER with what we orginally thought was a stroke, so between that, this and my schoolwork...

I have to have the computer working by noon tomorrow, so if I haven't got it figured by morning, i'll back it up, install unencrypted, and continue working on it in a VM. either going SSD or 500gb seagate in January anyhow.

NQS

jbarnes8
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe...sorry... I forgot to ask... did you try

mount -n /usr

?

i guess writing to mtab is not 100% necessary... -n tells mount not to write to mtab
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbarnes8 wrote:

Well, that woks. now fighting X issues and wireless

NQS

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: