My harddrive ran out of space..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teknik0s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: My harddrive ran out of space.. Reply with quote

Code:
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root             1.7G  1.7G     0 100% /
/dev/hdd1             2.0G   53M  1.8G   3% /backup
none                   62M     0   62M   0% /dev/shm

I have 2 very small harddrives thats i run on my little gentoo p166 server. And i was emerge -u system.. and i come to check my space this morning and it seems i am out. This system has nothing on it but (the basics) plus apache, gallery, and php... i dont think this looks right.

If it is.. what can i do to get more space.. can i allocate some space from that /backup to /root? (in the beginning i wanted to use software RAID to make both of these 4 giggers one, but i couldnt find much info on that)

If it isnt right, is there a way to search for maybe "big unused files" or stuff like that. Unused junk that shouldnt be there. I wouldn't know where to start or how to search by file size, etc.

JaReD
Dark_Hunter
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete files in /usr/portage/distfile
teknik0s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are all of those ? Do i need them to unmerge or no?
hensan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can safely remove the whole distfiles dir, after a package is installed the distfiles are only useful if you want to re-emerge the package or upgrade to a new -r* version without having to re-download the sources.
teknik0s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok now i have 1.5GB used (that took off 200mb) hey that is good, but is there any way to get more space?
duff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/var/tmp/portage will be pretty big if you've had a lot of failed/cancled emerges.
klac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably remove most of the contents of /var/tmp safely. Also, check the sizes in /var/log; if you're not planning to use the logs, you can probably get rid of some of the older ones.

If you have a spare HD you can borrow from another system, you can use the Hard Disk Upgrade mini-howto to move data back and forth between partitions. However, be sure to have a backup, and to do all the optional parts (ie comparing the source and destination folders) - I killed my installation yesterday by failing to follow all the directions :oops:
klac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably remove most of the contents of /var/tmp safely. Also, check the sizes in /var/log; if you're not planning to use the logs, you can probably get rid of some of the older ones.

If you have a spare HD you can borrow from another system, you can use the Hard Disk Upgrade mini-howto to move data back and forth between partitions. However, be sure to have a backup, and to do all the optional parts (ie comparing the source and destination folders) - I killed my installation yesterday by failing to follow all the directions :oops:
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negative on deleting random files in /var/tmp. I read in another thread about recovering HD space and someone pointed out that XFree uses /var/temp to cache data and deleting files improperly may cause problems with XFree.

Between /var/tmp/portage and /usr/portage/distfiles you can recover plenty of disk space by deleting files in those directories.
klac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...according to this, files in /var/tmp can be deleted, just not on every reboot. X should rebuild what it needs there (I don't have it installed yet, I just finished the first emerge system from stage 1), as it's able to do so when it first runs.

Possibly, if /var/tmp is cleared out from single-user mode, it can be safely emptied.

Also, try 'find /var/tmp -atime 30 -type f' to find all files that have not been accessed in 30 days (requires that 'noatime' is not set in fstab, and has not been for at least 30 days). Swapping ctime for atime will get you files that were created more than 30 days ago; they may also be candidates for removal.

Also, check /tmp - anything there should be safe to remove (according to http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.15.html.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your using ccache rm -rf /root/.ccache/* will clean up a considerable amount of space.
teknik0s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow i deleted everything in /var/tmp.. now i have like 600 mb free.. i just hope it didnt mess anything up :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: