odd system 'pausing' issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandoraxero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: odd system 'pausing' issue Reply with quote

I seem to have run into a strange issue where my system, for no reason that i can explain, stops outputting stuff unless there's keyboard/mouse/other peripheral input. It happens predictably when there's no activity. when i'm trying to run ZSNES or something like that,,,, its screen output will just stop until i move the mouse, gamepad, or keyboard.

It also happened when i was running a badblocks on an external hard drive. so i'm sure it's not just a single-program issue. even wget on the VGA console does it.

I tried rebooting the system in question, but no effect.

the system is a 100% stable i686 system with kde4, no ~arch stuff, kernel 2.6.30, I have a LOT of the ACPI stuff in the kernel enabled, as the system is intended to be on the extreme end of low-power (Intel Atom Netbook, with gentoo on SD Card.), so I'm thinking something in that category might be screwing up, but I could be completely off-target.

the Netbook is a Toshiba Mini NB205 Series.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost wonder if it's trying to blank the screen but the blank is failing and it ends up just interrupting the output process.

Quote:
I have a LOT of the ACPI stuff in the kernel enabled

I don't know what exactly you mean by LOT, but I can't forsee anything in ACPI options causing you an issue. But I wonder what you have set in the graphics section. Isn't there some blanking stuff?
pandoraxero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

err... perhaps i need to put this into perspective... screen output freezes after a number of seconds... if it were a matter of minutes, i'd say probably a failure at blanking, but i don't think that's the case in this instance. when i say i have a lot of ACPI stuff enabled, i mean i have just about everything that'd be likely to save power enabled in the kernel .config. i read somewhere that some toshiba laptops had issues with ACPI in the past... not sure if this is still the case, though... that's why i mentioned it.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... have you checked to see if you can get a bios update? Those can do a world of good sometimes. I see what you mean about acpi; I remember in the olden days, having to disable it often; but things seem to be better on that front now.

I have pretty much the same laptop, except mine's made by MSI. But it's pretty much the same thing from what I can tell (a guy at work has the one you do, so I took a look). I haven't had any acpi related issues and I think they run on the same subsystem (atom 270 is it?) so that's why I think of the bios.
py-ro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the same Issue on an Asus T91 Netbook. No BIOS Update available.

Py
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: