Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The F? Virtual Window Manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 65, 66, 67  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AceTheFace wrote:
What Session-Manager do you all run behind fvwm? Without xfdesktop I don't get transparency at all. Also I don't get the HiddenConsole transparent..

I dont use a session manager, but I think the three main ones to choose from are xsm, gnome-session and ksmserver. you probably already have xsm installed, but it uses the athena widget set and looks very ugly :)

If you're not getting transparency, you probably aren't using an Esetroot compatible program to set your background, if you're using fvwm-root make sure you are using the --retain-pixmap option, eg i use:
Code:
fvwm-root --retain-pixmap --dither wallpaper.png

AceTheFace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I'm using your config, and so fvwm-root was called correctly, but my fault was using a jpg-image as background. fvwm-root doesn't support that type. After converting it to png it works fine..

THX!

Greetz,

Ace

EDIT: But the Hiddenconsole still isn'T transparent....
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What terminal are you using for the HiddenConsole? I'm using aterm, and the "-tr" option makes it transparent as for a normal console.
AceTheFace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
What terminal are you using for the HiddenConsole? I'm using aterm, and the "-tr" option makes it transparent as for a normal console.

I'm using exactly tavisos config. So it's xrvt.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you look at tavisos current config, the "-tr" option isn't being used in the command that starts the hidden console...
Code:
DestroyFunc StartHiddenConsole
AddToFunc StartHiddenConsole
+ I Exec exec rxvt +sb -geometry 144x8+0+0 -name HiddenConsole
+ I Wait HiddenConsole
+ I Autohide HiddenConsole 250 0 N

Add "-tr" to the options on the third line and see if that helps.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Help with zinf and title bar/no title bar problem Reply with quote

Maybe someone here can help. I tried the fvwm mail list but no one seem to be able to answer....

I have been experiementing with Zinf music player lately and if I set the Style for it to:
Code:
Style*Zinf NoTitle, NoHandles, !Borders
then the player looks fine. However if I open up the Preferences or Playlist, I run into trouble as these two other windows also dont have Title, borders or handles

I have placed DecorateTransient in my Style portion of the config and even tried to fix by putting a Style on the Class. But nothing seems to work. Is there another way of keeping the player itself from having titlebars and having the option windows to have titles?
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with zinf and title bar/no title bar problem Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
But nothing seems to work. Is there another way of keeping the player itself from having titlebars and having the option windows to have titles?

Just emerged zinf and gave it a shot, the only way I can make it have a title and borders is with NoDecorHint, it seems to work how you want by default...
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with zinf and title bar/no title bar problem Reply with quote

taviso wrote:

Just emerged zinf and gave it a shot, the only way I can make it have a title and borders is with NoDecorHint, it seems to work how you want by default...

So it should be Style Zinf NoDecorHint? And are you getting titlebar with the the playlist and preferences? I tried it without any Style attributes and I get a titlebar everytime with the player which is what I dont want. There are so many skins available for it that I want to use but dont want that funny titlebar on the player.
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help with zinf and title bar/no title bar problem Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:

I tried it without any Style attributes and I get a titlebar everytime with the player which is what I dont want. There are so many skins available for it that I want to use but dont want that funny titlebar on the player.

try adding:
Code:
Style * MwmDecor, MwmFunctions, OLDecor, GNOMEUseHints

to your fvwm2rc. this should make fvwm honor your applications notitle requests.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with zinf and title bar/no title bar problem Reply with quote

sa wrote:
try adding:
Code:
Style * MwmDecor, MwmFunctions, OLDecor, GNOMEUseHints

to your fvwm2rc. this should make fvwm honor your applications notitle requests.

Ohh I could give you a big hug (but my husband would be jealous)

Thank you! That worked! Thanks for your help

C
TheEternalVortex
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaasja wrote:
Fvwm comes with an Init(Start)function.

My passage looks like this:
*snip*

HTH,
Karsten

How can I make them start on a particular page?
sburnett
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an odd and very annoying problem. I usually use <Alt><Tab> to switch windows. This works fine, but whenever I focus a window by clicking on it, my window list is no longer in order. The previously focused window moves to the bottom of the list, rather than being pushed down one position in the stack. Is there some option I can set to change this?

By the way, I'm using the Click-to-focus method. Could this be part of the problem?
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@TheEternalVortex: there are "StartsOnPage" and "StartsOnDesk" styles which allow you to specify where an application is started. The manpage has the details.
TheEternalVortex
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to only make them start on that page for that instance, and to start on the page I open them on in all other cases? For instance I want a firebird window on page 2 when I startup, but I often open several more windows on other pages later on.
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheEternalVortex wrote:
Is it possible to only make them start on that page for that instance, and to start on the page I open them on in all other cases? For instance I want a firebird window on page 2 when I startup, but I often open several more windows on other pages later on.

Make a function like this

Code:
DestroyFunc StartFooOnPage
AddToFunc StartFooOnPage
+ I Exec Foo
+ I Wait Foo
+ I Next (Foo) MoveToPage x x

Then in StartFunction instead of Exec Foo, use StartFooOnPage.
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, after having read 12 solid pages of FVWM, I am willing to give it a shot. Right now I am emerging FVWM and will start by using taviso's config files. However, I already have some questions!

1) In Gnome/KDE (WMs I have used before) things like a screensaver, powermanagment, file manager, etc. is already included. Does FVWM include all these things, or is it just a very basic WM to which I have to add all the extra components?

2) What is "true transperancy"? I read that some people were thrilled about seeing "true transparency"; I can't share their joy unless I know what it is! 8O

I'm excited about getting to know FVWM better! :D
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor Gnome, nor KDE include screensavers, they both use xscreensaver to do that...
You can start xscreensaver like this:

Code:

AddToFunc StartFunction
+ I Test (Init) Exec exec xscreensaver -no-splash

As for true transparency: it means you can't only see your background through the window, but also the underlying windows etc.

hth
tommy_fila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for that information! Now i'm off to the man pages. I started fvwm, hoping that I would be able to do something, but I realized that without a thorough understanding of the man pages I was lost. Anyways, I'll probably be back here pretty soon with lots of questions! :D I fvwm works out for me!
XiuX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicity is nice, i loving it xD
rav
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was detered from even trying fvwm by the ugly setup they use at uni, but after skiming over this thread, it may be worth a try. Just a couple of questions though, before I emerge. ;)

Firstly, what is with the "gnome-libs-1.4.2" and "ORBit-0.5.17"? I dont wan em. I allready have "-gnome" set, and it appears its to do with the gtk support. And as usual, the etcat output is very discriptive "Adds support for x11-libs/gtk+ (The GIMP Toolkit)" duh. So, anyone know what the gtk support is exactly needed for in fvwm? or at the very least, where I can find this out?

Secondly, how slow is the true transparency? As atm, only aterms virtual trans seems to actualy work to any desirable speed with this crappy old tnt2 im using. Rxvt and Eterm, were just too slow.

And lastly, has anyone managed to pull off something like fluxbox tabs yet? Although im sure they're only usefull at this low resolution >_<
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rav wrote:

And lastly, has anyone managed to pull off something like fluxbox tabs yet? Although im sure they're only usefull at this low resolution >_<

Well as far as the gnome thing, i believe it has more to do with having built in gnome support. I have built fvwm safely without it and use gtk2 in my USE flags and not gtk.

As for the tabs, I have not used it myself but there is a module included for tabs. FvwmTabs. I forget which USE flags specifically call for building it but I believe it is perl and tcltk.
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rav wrote:
Secondly, how slow is the true transparency? As atm, only aterms virtual trans seems to actualy work to any desirable speed with this crappy old tnt2 im using. Rxvt and Eterm, were just too slow.

True transparency is pretty fast, I use it on my old Portégé notebook (P2 300, 128Mb RAM, 2Mb graphics card) and it's still, I wouldn't say bleeding fast, but at least fast, there's no lag in opening the menu's etc. So you TNT2 should have no problems with it :wink:
Evolent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello...

I'm so glad to see a bunch of new converts, thought I'd offer up a screenshot and some wisdom of my own from my long suffering .fvwm2rc file.

Screenshot Here

One of my favourite features is scrolling through pages with the mousewheel using the following two functions:

Code:

AddToFunc PageNext
+ "I"   PipeRead 'if [ $$[page.nx] -eq 0 ] ; then echo "GotoPage 1 $$[page.ny]" ; elif [ $$[page.ny] -eq 0 ] ; then echo "GotoPage 0 1" ; else echo "GotoPage 0 0"; fi'

AddToFunc PagePrev
+ "I"   PipeRead 'if [ $$[page.nx] -eq 1 ] ; then echo "GotoPage 0 $$[page.ny]" ; elif [ $$[page.ny] -eq 1 ] ; then echo "GotoPage 1 0" ; else echo "GotoPage 1 1"; fi'

Mouse 4 R       A       PageNext
Mouse 5 R       A       PagePrev

Another feature I like is dragging windows with the right mouse button anywhere on the window when holding down ctrl:

Code:

Mouse 3 W       C       RaiseAndMove

(But that one isn't very exciting really)

I guess there are probably other interesting things but it's all become so transparent to me now... aint fvwm great? :D

-Benj
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolent wrote:
One of my favourite features is scrolling through pages with the mousewheel using the following two functions:

Code:

AddToFunc PageNext
+ "I"   PipeRead 'if [ $$[page.nx] -eq 0 ] ; then echo "GotoPage 1 $$[page.ny]" ; elif [ $$[page.ny] -eq 0 ] ; then echo "GotoPage 0 1" ; else echo "GotoPage 0 0"; fi'

AddToFunc PagePrev
+ "I"   PipeRead 'if [ $$[page.nx] -eq 1 ] ; then echo "GotoPage 0 $$[page.ny]" ; elif [ $$[page.ny] -eq 1 ] ; then echo "GotoPage 1 0" ; else echo "GotoPage 1 1"; fi'

Mouse 4 R       A       PageNext
Mouse 5 R       A       PagePrev

I do the same thing with desktops instead of pages:
Code:
Silent Mouse 4 R N GotoDesk 1 0 0 7
Silent Mouse 5 R N GotoDesk -1 0 0 7

Replace "7" with the number of desktops you have - 1.
Lonely-Star
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
Tavis, I like your PackWindow* functions a lot.
Is it possible to modify them, so they:

a) Grows to the next window instead of moving there
b) Stops at the TaskBar.

I tried to do it myself, but I failed 8O
Oh, and by the way: Thanks for your fvwm2rc, Tavis. It gave me great starting point!!!

Nathan
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 12 of 67

Jump to: