Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The F? Virtual Window Manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 65, 66, 67  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mongrol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
Mongrol wrote:
Ah, that still grabs the mouse pointer and positions it over each task button as I tab around. No use.

Infact, I lie. It doesn't do anything.

Well, it works perfectly for me. I don't like things grabbing the mouse pointer either, thats why I use it.

Ah, it seems I'm missing a function "FocusAndRaise". I'm starting off with the basic generated config so don't have it.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry about that :) I forgot it wouldn't always be there.
Mongrol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret is it? Go on, I`ll buy you some scones! :)
Mongrol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, so I've found the following after mucho googling

Code:

AddToFunc "FocusRaise"      "I" Focus
+            "I" Raise

Key Tab      A   M   Next [CurrentDesk] FocusRaise
Key Tab      A   MS   Prev [CurrentDesk] FocusRaise

Alas, its a poor cousin to friendly task switching as it only cycles around a fixed list and if a program doesn`t accept focus, its game over. With the WindowList module insisting on grabbing the pointer and then taking great joy in flinging it all around the screen, I can only assume what I'm attempting is far above my n00b abilities. The more I dig the more I`m impressed by the power this wm has, but why the default setup has been kept in such an archaic and unfriendly manner is mindboggling. The initial learning curve badly needs ironed out.

I shall press on regardless.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongrol wrote:
Secret is it? Go on, I`ll buy you some scones!

Oops again, I thought you must have found it already or I'd have posted it :D

Mongrol wrote:
With the WindowList module insisting on grabbing the pointer and then taking great joy in flinging it all around the screen

Is it still doing that? I've never had that problem :(
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongrol wrote:
Code:
Key Tab      A   M   Next [CurrentDesk] FocusRaise
Key Tab      A   MS   Prev [CurrentDesk] FocusRaise

Alas, its a poor cousin to friendly task switching as it only cycles around a fixed list and if a program doesn`t accept focus, its game over.

Easily fixed ;)

Code:
Key Tab      A   M   Next (CurrentDesk, AcceptsFocus) FocusRaise
Key Tab      A   MS   Prev (CurrentDesk, AcceptsFocus) FocusRaise

I'm not sure what you mean by Fixed List, if you want the order changed based on what was last focussed, look up FlipFocus, or look here.
nrl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I started setting it up (based on a config here) I now have a 4x2 desktop and I can move from page to page with Ctr-Alt and h/j/k/l (just like scrolling in The Editor), I have lots of other cool bindings too and plenty of eye candy for good measure.
Anyway have a calculus test tommorow so no more messing about till after that.

FVWM rocks :twisted:
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongrol wrote:
The more I dig the more I`m impressed by the power this wm has, but why the default setup has been kept in such an archaic and unfriendly manner is mindboggling. The initial learning curve badly needs ironed out.

I shall press on regardless.

I agree with you on that one. I am not even sure what made me come to this wm....it seemed to be a turn of events that all happened at the same time...this thread, a website with great screenshots...and something else. But now, as I have said before, I am addicted and cant see myself using anything else.

The only thing I would like is a better launcher or mouseover effects for FvwmButtons.

I could go on....
downed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey everyone i use both freebsd and gentoo I'm not on freebsd at the moment but want to set my fbsd box with fvwm, taviso's as well as many of the others I have seen on this thread look incredible are all these things I see in the screenshots the pagers i see minimized programs on the desktop(look like little screenshots of programs not sure exactly what it is)? is all that in gentoo portage? I want all that stuff but the only thing i find in the way of ports in freebsd for fvwm is fvwm itself and fvwm-themes also are all those icons i see in the menu included with fvwm anyone help me out TIA
Mongrol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what does everyone do for task switching? Do you all use the Windowlist function? Is so, doesn`t the mouse pointer drive you mad? The more I look at this the more I can't understand why the developers have left such a cludgy system unaddressed. IMO the windowlist module needs a serious revamp and should allow moving between the buttons without stealing the mouse. I've got two hands, I want to use two hands!

Apologies to everyone as I think I'm going on about this a bit much but its such a core issue to desktop comfort. I've also noticed the much praised crystal-theme hasn't developed a sensible solution. So I assume there isn't one.
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongrol wrote:
So what does everyone do for task switching? Do you all use the Windowlist function? Is so, doesn`t the mouse pointer drive you mad?

I use WindowList bound to middle button on the desktop, I also use FvwmProxy a lot.

I'm having trouble understanding what's wrong with the mouse pointer, you don't like the warp? why dont you move the pointer back where it was when you're done? The menu is modal unless you tear it off (middle click on the title), you can't do anything else with the mouse until it'd done...if you dislike the modal nature of WindowList, use one of the other options...FvwmTaskBar, FvwmIconMan, Circulating, FvwmCascade, etc, etc.

or is it the warp after selecting a window? just rewrite WindowListFunc to suit your tastes..

Quote:
The more I look at this the more I can't understand why the developers have left such a cludgy system unaddressed.

I'm having difficulty understanding why you keep calling WindowList cludgy, are we using cludgy in the same way "ugly hack"? If so, I have no idea what gives you this impression, dozens of developers and projects have used fvwm code in their own projects as it's renowned for the quality and maturity of it's codebase.

Quote:
IMO the windowlist module needs a serious revamp and should allow moving between the buttons without stealing the mouse. I've got two hands, I want to use two hands!

...WindowList is modal in it's non-torn off state, you cant do anything else while its in use....if you dont like the modality, use something else! FvwmWinList, TaskBar, IconMan, there are so many choices!

Quote:
Apologies to everyone as I think I'm going on about this a bit much but its such a core issue to desktop comfort. I've also noticed the much praised crystal-theme hasn't developed a sensible solution. So I assume there isn't one.

It would be helpful if you could describe is happening that you dont like, if you dont know the terminology, just describe it. And what you would like to see happen, again no need to use terminology if you dont know it...to be honest, i'm still not sure what your having trouble with. Is there screenshots or another familiar interface you are trying to replicate you can show us? maybe WindowList is not what you need :?

edit: I'm writing this post from an iBook, the alt-tab equivalent is also a modal menu with large icons, although it doesnt warp the pointer you can't do anything else with it while the menu is displayed (clicking outside the menu dismisses it, and it also takes keyboard focus, as with fvwm)..it would be easy to make a similar behaviour (and appearance) with fvwm, and simply move the mouse pointer back to where it is when the menu closes.
downed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey taviso got a couple questions for you...I see those little "icons" on your desktop that look like small screenshots of programs what is that also the transparent pager you have what are those called?Also are they in portage or is it part of fvwm itself TIA BTW how long did it take you to put together all that stuff to make that incredible looking desktop we all see and admire ;] And can we expect more jawdropping fvwm2rc files from you in the near future? Thanks for your time /me ends rant
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

downed wrote:
hey taviso got a couple questions for you...I see those little "icons" on your desktop that look like small screenshots of programs what is that also the transparent pager you have what are those called?Also are they in portage or is it part of fvwm itself TIA BTW how long did it take you to put together all that stuff to make that incredible looking desktop we all see and admire ;] And can we expect more jawdropping fvwm2rc files from you in the near future? Thanks for your time /me ends rant

Well, if you dont mind me not being taviso, I think I can answer a couple of your questions :)

The screenshots are just that. screenshots of applications when you iconify them. In his fvwm2rc file it is called the Thumbnail function. It is quite cool.

The pager? Are you speaking of the buttons on the bottom of the page? Cuz if you are, that is a transparent FvwmTaskBar. There is a pager and it is on the right side of the screen on the bottom.

You can find all kinds of goodies in his config file. I have learned a great deal of what things do when I dont understand the man pages just from reading over taviso's fvwm2rc file.

HOpe this helps.
Levi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't know if anyone cares, but I spent some times to create dynamic menus for fvwm using PipeRead and since it took me some time to figure out how that works, I'll post my results here. This way you can change the menu without restarting fvwm.

First, there is a small bash-script that parses files for the menus.
The script is more complicated than neccessary because I wanted to abstract from the fvwm-menu-architecture. This way the files can be parsed more easily in other programs (as menus for other wms or for a graphical editor I might write if I find the time). Also, I'm not good at scripting, so please don't hate me if the script is ugly. ;)

Code:

#!/bin/sh

filename=$1
menu=`basename $1 | cut -f 2 -d .`

if [ ! -e $filename ]
then
        echo "DestroyMenu $menu"
        echo "AddToMenu $menu"
        echo "+ \"\<Empty\>\" Nop"
else
  awk -v menu=$menu -F % '
  /^T/ { print "AddToMenu " menu " \"" $2 "\" Title" }
  /^B/ { print "AddToMenu " menu " \"" $2 "%" $4 "%\" " $3 }
  /^E/ { print "AddToMenu " menu " \"" $2 "%" $4 "%\" Exec " $3 }
  /^P/ {
    sws = gensub(/ /, "", "g", $2)
    print "AddToMenu " menu " \"" $2 "%" $3 "%\" Popup " sws
  }
  /^S/ { print "AddToMenu " menu " \"\" Nop"}' $filename

awk -v menu=$menu -F % '/^P/\
  {
    sws = gensub(/ /, "", "g", $2)
    print "DestroyMenu " sws "\nAddToMenu " sws "\n+DynamicPopupAction Function list" sws
    print "AddToFunc list" sws "\n+ I DestroyMenu recreate " sws
    print "+ I PipeRead '\''parse.sh ~/.fvwm/menu." sws "'\''"
  }' $filename
fi
exit 0

Place this script somewhere in your path so the script can find it.
This script expects one file for every Popup-Menu in ~/.fvwm
The name has to be "~/.fvwm/menu.<Popup-Name>"
If your popup has spaces in the name, like "Open Office", remove all spaces for the <Popup-Name>. The filename should then be "~/.fvwm/menu.OpenOffice"
The Syntax is as follows:
Each line describes one entry in the menu/popup.
In each line there are several fields seperated by "%" symbols.
The first field is only one letter and can be one of the following:
"S" is a seperator. No other fields are required
"T" is a title. It expects one more field with the title
"P" is a popup. It expects two more fields. The first is the displayed name which at the same time specifies the filename in which the info for this popup is stored. The second is a filename for an icon.
"B" is a builtin fvwm-command. It expects three more fields. The first is the displayed name, the second the command to call, the third is the icon.
"E" is exactly the same as B, just that it executes external commands.

Here are two of my files as an example:
Code:
T%Fortress
E%Terminal%Eterm --buttonbar false --trans true --scrollbar false%mini.term.xpm
E%File Manager%xfe%mini.filemgr.xpm
E%Editor%kwrite%mini.edit.xpm
S
P%Accessories%mini.edit.xpm
P%Development%mini.hammer.xpm
P%Network%mini.telnet.xpm
P%Multimedia%mini.paint2.xpm
P%Games%mini.xlander.xpm
P%Open Office%/usr/kde/3.2/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/soffice.png
S
P%Exit%mini.stop.xpm

Code:
E%&Writer%/usr/bin/oowriter%/opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/share/icons/ooo_writer.png
E%&Impress%/usr/bin/ooimpress%/opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/share/icons/ooo_impress.p
ng
E%&Draw%/usr/bin/oodraw%/opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/share/icons/ooo_draw.png
E%&Math%/usr/bin/oomath%/opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/share/icons/ooo_math.png
E%Web &Editor%/usr/bin/ooweb%/opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/share/icons/ooo_web.png
E%&Office%/usr/bin/ooffice%/opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/share/icons/ooo_office.png

The first is my main menu, the second is obviously the OpenOffice-Popup.

When you have converted your menus to this format, you can replace all the menu-stuff in your .fvwm2rc-file with this

Code:

DestroyMenu <name>
AddToMenu <name>
+ DynamicPopupAction Function listmain

AddToFunc listmain
+ I DestroyMenu recreate <name>
+ I PipeRead 'parse.sh ~/.fvwm/menu.<name>'

<name> is the name of your root-menu, in tavisos-config that is Utilities, and the root-menu has to be placed in ~/.fvwm/menu.<name>

So, that's my current setup. If you see potential problems (of which there are propably dozens) or improvements, please let me know.

EDIT: Fixed a bug in the script.

Last edited by Levi on Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
appetitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongrol wrote:
So what does everyone do for task switching?

I have a 13x1 pager and I spread the tasks out. Most important tasks have labeled icons in the pager and I either mouse cursor to the appropriate page or cntrl-left/right arrow. Using a list rarely works out, I might have a dozen xterms or emacs running and the right click window list rarely works. Organizing where tasks are run is my best method, and once long ago I had fvwm1 setup to launch specific tasks to specific desktops.
Being a Gentoo user means living in a house inhabited by a family of crazed carpenters. When you wake up, the house is different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved, or perhaps someone has removed the floor under your bed.
kappax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all I am new to FVWM and I am loving it.

But one thing I cant figure out

I am trying to set it up so when I press the windows key and left mouse on a window I can move that window. also when I press the windows key and the right mouse I can resize that window
Distro: Gentoo
kernel: 2.6.0-test9-mm2
----------------------
vi makes me :wq in word pad :(
psyqil
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kappax wrote:
I am trying to set it up so when I press the windows key and left mouse on a window I can move that window. also when I press the windows key and the right mouse I can resize that window
You have to assign a modifier to your win keys, here's the part in my .xmodmap:
Code:
keycode 115 = Super_L
keycode 116 = Super_R

add mod3 = Super_L Super_R
and in my .fvwm2rc:
Code:
Mouse   1       W       3       Move-or-Raise
Mouse   3       W       3       Resize-or-Raise
jasonou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also loving fvwm...2 quick questions though:
1) How can I make the mouse bindings so that if I click on a window button (close, maximize, etc.), then move the pointer away from the button and release the mouse button, nothing will happen to the window? (aka 'like every other window manager)

2) Is it just me, or are simple tasks like maximizing a window and switching a desktop a little bit laggy? I have the -wm +bs options in my xserver.

Thanks!
usingloser
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my borders, I just want a flat black line, but I can't seem to get rid of the classic decor with the handles at all four corners that are broken off from the bars on the sides. And they are by no means flat. Any help?
jasonou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone explain the difference between 'Exec exec' and just 'exec'? I can't seem to find the answer in the man pages. Thanks!
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonou wrote:
1) How can I make the mouse bindings so that if I click on a window button (close, maximize, etc.), then move the pointer away from the button and release the mouse button, nothing will happen to the window? (aka 'like every other window manager)

Well, you are binding something to the Click, sounds like you want to bind it to the Release..so bind your buttons to a function that executes the command after Release..e, C.
Quote:
2) Is it just me, or are simple tasks like maximizing a window and switching a desktop a little bit laggy? I have the -wm +bs options in my xserver.

just you :) if you search back a few posts there is a link to mailing list post by an fvwm developer on how to improve efficiency if you use lots of transparency, apart from that..remember you can make fvwm do a million things every time a window is maximised, if you are seeing lag there it's worth investigating what setting/commands you are having fvwm run that is slowing it down.
Quote:
Could someone explain the difference between 'Exec exec' and just 'exec'? I can't seem to find the answer in the man pages. Thanks!

Not much difference, Exec invokes a shell (the same way the exec(3) works), if you are Exec'ing something that is going to be open for a long time, the shell may still be waiting for the application to return..you can use Exec exec to replace the shell with the applicaion (effectively saving a few bytes of memory).
Quote:
For my borders, I just want a flat black line, but I can't seem to get rid of the classic decor with the handles at all four corners that are broken off from the bars on the sides. And they are by no means flat. Any help?

I have:
Code:
BorderStyle Active Solid black -- NoInset HiddenHandles
BorderStyle InActive Solid black -- NoInset HiddenHandles

usingloser
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taviso aka FVWM god wrote:

I have:
Code:
BorderStyle Active Solid black -- NoInset HiddenHandles
BorderStyle InActive Solid black -- NoInset HiddenHandles

So do I, thats why I can't figure out whats going on.
Zeddicus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only bothered by one tiny little thing at the moment.

I can't seem to figure out how to change the color of the font in the titlebar when InActive.

As you can see, in

http://zed.endofinternet.net/screenshots/2004-03-19_1600x1200.png

When inactive, the white font is pretty much unreadable. I'd like to have the font white when active, black when inactive...where should I be looking? I've looked through the fvwm man pages, but...damn there's a lot. No need to post code, just direct me, please :)
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illuminatus wrote:
I can't seem to figure out how to change the color of the font in the titlebar when InActive.

You should have two colorsets, one for Active and one for Inactive windows like this:

Code:
Style * Colorset 13, HilightColorset 14

The font uses the fg colour and the font shadow uses the fgsh colour, so just set that to whatever you like :)
Flow_NTC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a little problem when starting gdesklets:
it starts properly but the displays are not transparent :(
i set no background in the config, but still there is a purple like background behind the display, what makes gdesklets looking very stupid

ps: on kde there is no such problem. perfectly working there
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 22 of 67

Jump to: