Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The F? Virtual Window Manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 65, 66, 67  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is really amazing. I just started playing arround with FVWM. I used taviso's .fvwm2rc to get going, and with some adaptions I nearly got it to look like on taviso's screenshots. :wink:

Unfortunately I stumbled over some problems, which I am not able to solve. I already started reading the man-pages and this monster-threat, but maybe someone can take a look at the following issues.

I am using the latest FVWM 2.5.10-r4 from portage. After starting as a use with 'startx' I somtimes (but not always!) get the following output:
Code:
[FVWM][FlushMessageQueue]: <<ERROR>> Failed to write descriptor to 'FvwmAnimate':
- select rc=0
- terminate signal=N

--icon-size
--border

Before this output appears, there is a 30 seconds delay until the load-utils above the pager (xosview / xnetload), pager, peksystray, xcalendar, DigitalClock and hiden-console show up. During this 30 seconds the mouse pointer can be moved, but no action on click. Strangely this problem occures most of the times, but not always, sometimes the startup just works as expected, without delay and without the mentioned error message. So what's going on?

Another problem is the following line in the StartFunction, which is not directly related to fvwm:
Code:
+ I Test (Init) Exec tail -n 0 -f /var/log/messages | osd_cat -a 30 -A left -o 10 -i 10 -f cure -c white -d 10 -s 1

Of course this doesn't show anything with "tail -n 0", so I removed the "-n 0", but the main problem with this line is, that osd_cat aborts with an error message due to "-f cure". I have this front from the artwiz package installed, but I am unable to use the "-f" function on osd_cat at all, so nevertheless which font I try to use with the "-f" function, it always aborts with "ABORT: Requested font not found". The osd_cat man page tells, that by default the font "fixed" is used, but even when trying "-f fixed", it aborts with the same error message. The only way I could get it running, was by not using the "-f" function at all, then it uses the default fixed font. I also could get it to work with
Code:
-f '-misc-fixed-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'
, but not with other fonts by using this way of expressing the font-name (I also tried -artwiz-cure-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* without luck). I thought there may be a problem with my fonts.aliases, but the fonts.alias files seem to be ok, and everything else is working fine. Anyone any idea?

The last thing that I discovered until now, is the digital clock in the lower right corner. Taviso has the following comment in his .fvwm2rc:
Code:
# FvwmApplet-DigitalClock is a modified version of the FvwmScript script that comes with
# fvwm-themes, I just changed it to print the date and time.

and the FvwmShelf line is:
Code:
*FvwmShelf: (17x3, Colorset 18, Frame 0, Swallow FvwmApplet-DigitalClock `FvwmScript FvwmApplet-DigitalClock 1
8`)

but I only get the digital clock without date, so only the time like "23:17" shows up. No idea what to do, so that it shows the date in front of the time, like in Taviso's screenshot. Someone please enlighten me.

From the rest I have seen so far, I'm very impressed, especially the function to minimize windows to thumbnails and mouse-gestures are pretty amazing. I also like the support for my two extra buttons on my intellimouse explorer, without having to use imwheel. There is so much in tavisos config file, I still even haven't touched the surface (that's my impression). Taviso did a nice job on his config file, to implement so many interesting features, and to comment everything that well, thanx a lot for your work. But I think I don't like this huge FvwmButton bar on the right side, and mabe the base taskbar is also not really necessary, both take their space on my 1280x1024 screen. Taviso, maybe you can tell me why you need 3 different menu's to start programs (ok, it's 2+1, because only the left-click menu and the bottom-bar launch-menu are identical, the FvwmButton sidebar can be classified as some kind of short-cut app-starter). I probably will kick the bars, it should be enough to have the left-click menu. At the moment I am not quite sure, if I just should stick with taviso's config file and start modifying it to my needs, or if I should start a new config file from scatch, 'stealing' all the interesting stuff from various config files.... Any suggestions? Until now I only know about taviso's and ikaro's config files. Are there any more that good, I should take a look at?

BTW Right now I miss the ability to switch workspaces using the mouse-wheel, and I don't exactly understand, what the mouse-wheel is supposed to do with the actual config when on the root window, but I think I should be able to fix this without any larger problems :wink:
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I have another serious problem, I totally forgot to mention:

Most fonts are displayed too small, at least a good piece smaller than on taviso's screenshots. The text is barely readable in the menu, the FwvmButton bar and for example in gvim with 8 points (on the other hand the text in a terminal looks slightly too large).

This must have something to do with Xft.dpi, I assume. xdpyinfo it telling something about 75x75dpi, and when not using a .Xresources file, it seems to be using 75dpi.

But I remember to have seen something with 96dpi on WinXP, and also in the .xinitrc for XFCE4.

When I use a .Xresources file with
Code:
Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.hinting: 1
Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
, the fonts's get slightly too large, so that the text is not properly shown any more in the FwvmButton bar on the right screen side.

I am not sure if the Xft.dpi option is the only way to fix such a problem.

How do others solve this issue???

BTW When using the above mentioned .Xresources file, the mousepointer changes to a strange triangle, also I did not specify any mousepointer in .Xresources. How to solve this, and what else do you put in your .Xresources?
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, and one last thing before I go to bed... :wink:

Anyone here using gnome-settings-daemon with FVWM ??? I remember the hint, that this app should be able to solve such fonts's problems.

I am also curious: Is anyone using a session-manager with FVWM, and if yes, which one ???
plbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the fvwmscript digitalclock, the current output is just the time in 24hr format how can I get it to display day 12hr format? do i need a different script?
taz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcxAsh: Not to seem rude or anything, but there isn't much difference between Eterm and aterm. Thus, you could install xterm, then you would be able to use Esetroot, and uninstall xterm. The only drawback to that is you woulndn't be able to do transparent backgrounds with the terminal. The one consolation is that the xterm install is relatively small, less than 2M, if memory serves.

On a side note, I tried ikaro's theme, and for some reason I couldn't get the menu bar on the left to work, any ideas? I've looked at the code and haven't found where this is instantiated.

Thanks

Last edited by taz on Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keffin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master One wrote:
Oh, I have another serious problem, I totally forgot to mention:

Most fonts are displayed too small, at least a good piece smaller than on taviso's screenshots. The text is barely readable in the menu, the FwvmButton bar and for example in gvim with 8 points (on the other hand the text in a terminal looks slightly too large).

This must have something to do with Xft.dpi, I assume. xdpyinfo it telling something about 75x75dpi, and when not using a .Xresources file, it seems to be using 75dpi.

But I remember to have seen something with 96dpi on WinXP, and also in the .xinitrc for XFCE4.

When I use a .Xresources file with
Code:
Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
, the fonts's get slightly too large, so that the text is not properly shown any more in the FwvmButton bar on the right screen side.

I am not sure if the Xft.dpi option is the only way to fix such a problem.

How do others solve this issue???

BTW When using the above mentioned .Xresources file, the mousepointer changes to a strange triangle, also I did not specify any mousepointer in .Xresources. How to solve this, and what else do you put in your .Xresources?

I was having font problems myself, then I stole the lines you have from XFCE4s startup script. However, apparently Gnome/KDE/XFCE4 like to play with the fonts to make them look right for you, which FVWM does not do.

In mozilla I found an option (Edit -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Fonts) where you can choose the "display resolution", then "other" and it will ask you to measure the length of a line and tell you the actual dpi you are using. Then sub this value into the code you showed above over the 96 that comes with XFCE4s default installed config file. My FVWM startup now reads
Code:
xrdb -nocpp -merge - << EOF
Xft.dpi: 85
Xft.hintstyle: hintmedium
EOF
# Launch xscreensaver (if available), but only as non-root user
test $UID -gt 0 && test -z $VNCSESSION && xscreensaver -no-splash &
fvwm

Strangely mozilla insisted on using old settings for the UIs text (eg. the menus) so I wiped its configs and rebooted to make sure everything was singing from the same sheet, then it all worked fine. I hope this helps you.

You can also install gtk-theme-switch (the newest in portage is for gtk2, emerge an older one for gtk1 if you need it) which you can use to set the gtk1/2 theme/font/font sizes.
Souperman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drownd wrote:
I'm using the fvwmscript digitalclock, the current output is just the time in 24hr format how can I get it to display day 12hr format? do i need a different script?

You have to edit the FvwmApplet-DigitalClock file to change the format of the date string and possible make the widgets large enough to fit all the text you want. Trial & error was my best friend.

Here is my version.
.fvwm2rc - look at StartFunction for how to start the clock and the very last lines for the styling/colorset.
Screenshot.

Mine is a "stand-alone" clock, i.e. not swallowed by FvwmButtons, but you should be able to figure it out.
Keffin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master One wrote:
Another problem is the following line in the StartFunction, which is not directly related to fvwm:
Code:
+ I Test (Init) Exec tail -n 0 -f /var/log/messages | osd_cat -a 30 -A left -o 10 -i 10 -f cure -c white -d 10 -s 1

Of course this doesn't show anything with "tail -n 0", so I removed the "-n 0", but the main problem with this line is, that osd_cat aborts with an error message due to "-f cure". I have this front from the artwiz package installed, but I am unable to use the "-f" function on osd_cat at all, so nevertheless which font I try to use with the "-f" function, it always aborts with "ABORT: Requested font not found". The osd_cat man page tells, that by default the font "fixed" is used, but even when trying "-f fixed", it aborts with the same error message. The only way I could get it running, was by not using the "-f" function at all, then it uses the default fixed font. I also could get it to work with
Code:
-f '-misc-fixed-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'
, but not with other fonts by using this way of expressing the font-name (I also tried -artwiz-cure-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* without luck). I thought there may be a problem with my fonts.aliases, but the fonts.alias files seem to be ok, and everything else is working fine. Anyone any idea?

You can use xfontsel from the command line to find the fonts you can express in that manner, it would seem that it doesn't like letting you name artwiz fonts like that (I have them installed too, but not showing in xfontsel). Within fvwm I seem to be able to use the font like this
Code:
Font "xft:cure:Medium:Roman:size=11:encoding=iso8859-1"

Maybe you could try and use that description in the call. Cure only comes in one size though, so the size=11 bit is a bit redundant, but that's how I tested it so that's how I'll post it...
MagnusBerg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have learned something new, and that's not better english. :-)

To change menufonts for your gtk apps and have a consistent environment you make two files in your homedirectory - '.gtkrc' and '.gtkrc-2.0'.

.gtkrc could look something like this.
Code:

style "myfonts" {
       fontset = "-*-helvetica-bold-r-normal--17-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-15,*-"}
class "GtkWidget" style "myfonts"

.gtkrc-2.0 will be like this.
Code:

gtk-font-name = "helvetica bold 12"

The size will be similar becuase one is in pixels and the other one is in points. (I suppose.)
plbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a screenshot of mine based off squeegys taviso and ikaros

http://24.168.89.255/
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master One wrote:
After starting as a use with 'startx' I somtimes (but not always!) get the following output:
Code:
[FVWM][FlushMessageQueue]: <<ERROR>> Failed to write descriptor to 'FvwmAnimate':
- select rc=0
- terminate signal=N

--icon-size
--border

Before this output appears, there is a 30 seconds delay until the load-utils above the pager (xosview / xnetload), pager, peksystray, xcalendar, DigitalClock and hiden-console show up. During this 30 seconds the mouse pointer can be moved, but no action on click. Strangely this problem occures most of the times, but not always, sometimes the startup just works as expected, without delay and without the mentioned error message. So what's going on?

I played arround all day, but I have still no clue what this error is all about. It never appears on the first start after a reboot, but most of the time when exiting and restarting the Xsession. I tried to start fvwm2 with the -D option, but it seems there is no related output for this problem.

Master One wrote:
BTW Right now I miss the ability to switch workspaces using the mouse-wheel, and I don't exactly understand, what the mouse-wheel is supposed to do with the actual config when on the root window, but I think I should be able to fix this without any larger problems :wink:

Must have overseen, that this is achieved by "Strg" + MouseWheel in Tavisos setup :wink:

Keffin wrote:
In mozilla I found an option (Edit -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Fonts) where you can choose the "display resolution", then "other" and it will ask you to measure the length of a line and tell you the actual dpi you are using. Then sub this value into the code you showed above over the 96 that comes with XFCE4s default installed config file

Thanx for the hint, I just tried this, but the resulting value is again 96 dpi for my screen, as expected. This value seem to be correct anyway, but Tavisos defined font-size for the buttons in the FvwmButton bar on the right side seems to be too large, as now with 96 dpi some button names exceed the width of the bar, thus the last letter of some button names is not visible any more, which leeds to the conclusion that Taviso must have set the wrong dpi for his screen :roll:

BTW Instead of adding
Code:
xrdb -nocpp -merge - << EOF
Xft.dpi: 85
Xft.hintstyle: hintmedium
EOF
to the startup file, or the .Xresources file, I now added the commands to my .Xdefaults file, and this solved the mentioned problem with the ugly mouse pointer theme. Pretty stange, it seems, that the presence of a .Xresources file overrides an existing .Xdefaults file, also it is processed with the -merge option in xinitrc.

Keffin wrote:
Master One wrote:
I have this front from the artwiz package installed, but I am unable to use the "-f" function on osd_cat at all, so nevertheless which font I try to use with the "-f" function, it always aborts with "ABORT: Requested font not found".

You can use xfontsel from the command line to find the fonts you can express in that manner, it would seem that it doesn't like letting you name artwiz fonts like that (I have them installed too, but not showing in xfontsel).

I know about that, but this does not help in this particular case, because it's a font-option of a programm that gets executed by the Exec command from the .fvwm2rc, so it is not using the font-settings of the WM. It's no big deal, if I am unable to tell osd_cat which font to use, but it is annoying not to be able to find the solution for a problem.
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagnusBerg wrote:
To change menufonts for your gtk apps and have a consistent environment you make two files in your homedirectory - '.gtkrc' and '.gtkrc-2.0'.

Quite interesting, where did you get the info from? I also played arround with this matter. Any idea, how it is possible to make it use truetype fonts? Entering "xft:something" does not work, and also it's much better now, it still looks pretty ugly. I am not really sure about this point/pixel conversion, at least for .gtkrc the value 17 produces a pretty large font, therefor I corrected it to 12.
MagnusBerg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master One wrote:
MagnusBerg wrote:

Quite interesting, where did you get the info from? I also played arround with this matter. Any idea, how it is possible to make it use truetype fonts? Entering "xft:something" does not work, and also it's much better now, it still looks pretty ugly. I am not really sure about this point/pixel conversion, at least for .gtkrc the value 17 produces a pretty large font, therefor I corrected it to 12.

I Googled on the word 'gtkrc-2.0' and found a Gnome maillist with little faulty suggestions that I fidled with. I combined it with some code from /etc/gtk/. Now it works with all my gtk apps.
And yes, I use big fonts. Have a 21 inch monitior with 1600x1200 resolution and sitting leaning back with my foot on the desk. And my eyes about one meter from the screen. :-)
kappax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00t w00t t00t t00t, my new FVWM set up :)

http://www.yellowk.com/~kappax/screenshots/screenshot-Jun-14.06.jpg
Distro: Gentoo
kernel: 2.6.0-test9-mm2
----------------------
vi makes me :wq in word pad :(
rezza
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kappax wrote:

Got enough virtual desktops there? :lol:
kappax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rezza wrote:
kappax wrote:

Nope, I think I want to add some more.
Distro: Gentoo
kernel: 2.6.0-test9-mm2
----------------------
vi makes me :wq in word pad :(
Souperman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rezza wrote:

Actually, they're pages of the same desktop. Not quite the same thing. :wink:
</pedantic>
MagnusBerg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rezza wrote:
kappax wrote:

World record! :-)
blue.sca
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If have kinda problem with my window decoration. I read through the man pages and tried anything, but nothing did it.
Here you can see a part of my screen, the window on top is an inactive window and the border has an small black line. The lower windoe is active and the line is not there. I want it like above, any hints? Thanx in advance...
bd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

After seeing some really nice screenhots in the screenshot thread I decided to emerge FVWM. Exited as I were i expected to get the great look directly, but now I understand that it isn't possible.

However, I want a desktop which looks much like this.

Could anyone give me links to tutorials who can teach me how to do this, or even better, give me a complete config that I can use directly (after downloading the correct iconsets and images of course...)...

Then, I also wonder if there's a file manager included or if i need to emerge one separatley. Which would be the best choise if that´s the case?
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bd wrote:
Hi!

After seeing some really nice screenhots in the screenshot thread I decided to emerge FVWM. Exited as I were i expected to get the great look directly, but now I understand that it isn't possible.

However, I want a desktop which looks much like this.

Could anyone give me links to tutorials who can teach me how to do this, or even better, give me a complete config that I can use directly (after downloading the correct iconsets and images of course...)...

Then, I also wonder if there's a file manager included or if i need to emerge one separatley. Which would be the best choise if that´s the case?

That looks like a modified version of taviso's config, which can be found at this address http://dev.gentoo.org/~taviso/, which is very well documented btw

As to the filemanager question, there's none delivered with fvwm, so you'll just have to choose one, which one is completely up to you, I'm using nautilus or evidence, but it's possible to use any filemanager with fvwm (rox, konqueror, gentoo,...)
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue.sca wrote:
If have kinda problem with my window decoration. I read through the man pages and tried anything, but nothing did it.
Here you can see a part of my screen, the window on top is an inactive window and the border has an small black line. The lower windoe is active and the line is not there. I want it like above, any hints? Thanx in advance...

My guess would be the colorsets you are using...can you post your config for the decor?
blue.sca
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
DestroyFunc FuncFvwmDecorBackground
AddToFunc   FuncFvwmDecorBackground
+ I TitleStyle AllActive   TiledPixmap white/wtitle.png
+ I TitleStyle AllInactive TiledPixmap white/wtitle.png
+ I ButtonStyle All Simple -- UseTitleStyle
FuncFvwmDecorBackground

Style "*" Button 1, Button 2, Button 4, Button 6, GrabFocusOff

+ I FuncFvwmDecorBackground
AddButtonStyle 2 \
    ActiveUp   (Pixmap white/focus.png -- flat) \
    ActiveDown (Pixmap white/close-pressed.png -- flat) \
    Inactive   (Pixmap white/focus.png -- flat)
AddButtonStyle 1 \
    ActiveUp   (Pixmap white/focus.png   -- flat) \
    ActiveDown (Pixmap white/focus.png -- flat) \
    Inactive   (Pixmap white/focus.png   -- flat)
AddButtonStyle 6 \
    ActiveDown (Pixmap white/icon-pressed.png -- flat) \
AddButtonStyle 4 \
    ActiveDown (Pixmap white/max-pressed.png -- flat) \

DestroyFunc FuncFvwmReloadDecor
AddToFunc FuncFvwmReloadDecor
+ I BorderStyle Simple -- HiddenHandles NoInset
+ I TitleStyle  -- Flat
+ I ButtonStyle All -- Flat
FuncFvwmReloadDecor

this is everything, no colorset used and i dont really know, where it would be sensfull ;)

btw, is allucid around here? i've seen screens of hes config and im very interested in your config. mind posting it?
Keffin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Screeny

I've done a bunch more work on my setup :D. Most noticable are more gDesklets than you can wave a very large stick at, and the pager sort of using the wallpaper as its background. Actually I made a script (very badly) that takes a wallpaper and makes a new version with 4 mini-versions of itself superimposed in that corner, then I use RootTransparent and tinting for the pager background - inspired by a post in here somewhere asking about using thumbnails of apps in the pager, but that seemed overkill.

I'm just wondering now how I can make best use of the desklets and pager... using an app full screen stops me using them completely and I don't want to restrict the space I can use for an app, nor do I want the pager/desklets always on top. Also since I'm using the thumbnail function, minimising something to get at the pager takes a noticable time. I'm thinking I need a function attatched to a key-combo (perhaps just the windows button) that sets the style of the pager and desklets to "StaysOnTop" while the key is held, and reset to "StaysOnBottom" when the key is released. Anyone know how I could go about this?
Master One
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keffin wrote:
New Screeny

I've done a bunch more work on my setup :D.

Damned, if I only could find the time to pay arround with it as much as I would like, FVWM is so absolutely awesame :)

Your setup look very nice, also I prefer dark backgrounds, I think it's better for the eyes.

What's this iconset you are using, and where to get it?

I already saw it several times, and I like it very much.

I just downloaded the Gentoo iconset, which I also like a lot, but the problem is, that those icons are all only in one size, but most icon-sets usually come in at least 3 different sizes, especially as I want to use the standard small-size 16x16 for my menu-icons, but larger ones for a starterbar (if I'm gonna use one).

I searched the forum concerning icon resizing, but I until now I didn't find a quick and dirty solution.

Anybody has an idea, how to resize all icons from one directory (which are all the same size of 78x79 I think) to two different other sizes to other directories using a simple script? I don't really want to install Gimp to manually resize each single icon by myself...

And Keffin, do you use EXPOSE as replacement of window-list? I only took a short look at it until now, but I am not quite sure if it gives any advantage. I use windowlist with alt-tab mainly for quick switching between the actual and previous window, without looking long enough on the display to enjoy the good look of it :wink:

Keffin wrote:
Most noticable are more gDesklets than you can wave a very large stick at, and the pager sort of using the wallpaper as its background. Actually I made a script (very badly) that takes a wallpaper and makes a new version with 4 mini-versions of itself superimposed in that corner, then I use RootTransparent and tinting for the pager background - inspired by a post in here somewhere asking about using thumbnails of apps in the pager, but that seemed overkill.

I like the goodweather gdesklet very much, so I probably will also go for gdesklets, when I am done with my initial setup (which takes way longer than expected, but I first have to get into "FVWM" -> still studying the manpages).

Please tell me, was the installation of the gdesklet starterbar without problems? I have read some posts, that most desklets work fine except the starterbar, but I have no idea what problems it could cause.

Keffin wrote:
I'm just wondering now how I can make best use of the desklets and pager... using an app full screen stops me using them completely and I don't want to restrict the space I can use for an app, nor do I want the pager/desklets always on top. Also since I'm using the thumbnail function, minimising something to get at the pager takes a noticable time. I'm thinking I need a function attatched to a key-combo (perhaps just the windows button) that sets the style of the pager and desklets to "StaysOnTop" while the key is held, and reset to "StaysOnBottom" when the key is released. Anyone know how I could go about this?

I'm also still unsure about my future desktop layout, as I want some info shown permanently, but also want to have as much space as possible on each viewport for maximizing windows. Maybe I'll use the pager in a bottom line together with date & time, I think this info is the most important info I want to see at all times. When using the gdesklet starterbar, this one has not to be accessible all the time, as well as goodweather, I think it should be enough to have them sticky on all viewports but no on top. The idea with a button binding for bringing them on top, but only as long as the button is pressed, if very good, and I can't await to see the proper implementation here :)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 46 of 67

Jump to: