Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The F? Virtual Window Manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 65, 66, 67  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: fvwm-menu-desktop? Reply with quote

Has anyone here tried using fvwm-menu-desktop to build menus?

I tried to build one based on the man page but I am only able to build the kde-sys menu and it comes up in a language other than my own.

I like the idea of this menu building thing and it would be cool if fvwm had some sort of ability to create menus such as this.

How does KDE know which apps to put in a menu that are "legacy" apps?

Thanks
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonely-Star wrote:
a) Grows to the next window instead of moving there

actually, i think it might be possible with the Maximize command, if you look up the "grow" syntax, i believe it's possible to make it grow until it hits something. :)
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: fvwm-menu-desktop? Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
I like the idea of this menu building thing and it would be cool if fvwm had some sort of ability to create menus such as this.

It is a good idea, kde apps come with .desktop files that descripe how they should be put into menus, there are plans to make a generic format based on the one at freedesktop.org and make scripts for each window manager to convert these files into the correct format, then all x applications installed via portage will come with a file...when its finalised, I will probably be responsible for writing the script for fvwm :).

check out http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0016.html
Lonely-Star
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "grow" argument works great. It even respects the Taskbar ;)
Thanks, Tavis.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: fvwm-menu-desktop? Reply with quote

taviso wrote:

It is a good idea, kde apps come with .desktop files that descripe how they should be put into menus, there are plans to make a generic format based on the one at freedesktop.org and make scripts for each window manager to convert these files into the correct format, then all x applications installed via portage will come with a file...when its finalised, I will probably be responsible for writing the script for fvwm :).

check out http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0016.html

That is good info. Thanks!
z33k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey taviso,

I've downloaded your .fvwm2rc file and have been playing with it. I don't ahve any of the icons that go in the menu though, are they part of the fvwm_icons package or did you get them elsewhere? If you got them elsewhere, could you tell me where to get them?

Thanks,
Z33k

Edit ~
One other question, Where do I edit the config so that the menu pops up when I press the right mouse button, not the left?
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

z33k wrote:
are they part of the fvwm_icons package or did you get them elsewhere? If you got them elsewhere, could you tell me where to get them?

No, not part of fvwm_icons, I got them like this:

Code:
$ snarf http://download.qnx.com/d_manager/d_man.php # it's about 185M
$ isoinfo -i d_man.php -J -x '/rep621/qnxinstall_w-2.4-x86-qnx.qpk' | \
tar -zvf - -x 'qnx/qnxinstall_w/core-2.4/x86/usr/share/icons/topics' # isoinfo is from app-cdr/cdrtools
# There's approx 300 icons in gif format, so you will have to convert them to png...eg
$ for i in *.gif
> do
> convert ${i} png:${i/.gif/.png} && rm -f ${i}
> done

HTH :)

Quote:
Edit ~
One other question, Where do I edit the config so that the menu pops up when I press the right mouse button, not the left?

try Mouse 3 R A Menu MenuFvwmRoot, if you copied it from my config I use the right button for mouse gestures, so you might want to disable them.
Roptaty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn.. HiddenConsole, an irssi inside and an OSD script to go with the irssi...
:P And don't forget the stroke commands... ;)

taviso, you are to blame for this. You have converted another one (me) to your little 'fvwm-against-the-rest' war. I hope you are satisfied. ;)
tr4nce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I want to add HiddenConsole to my fvwm-crystal desktop (click to see) but the script doesn't work correctly... How do i do to make it work?

Thanks
chrisashton84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey taviso, I downloaded your .fvwm2rc (as has 1/2 the people here it seems :P thanks btw). Anyway, I did a few quick changes and I was wondering if you might be able to help:

http://www.chrisashton84.com/files/fvwm-2-15-04.jpg

http://www.chrisashton84.com/files/.fvwm2rc-2-15-04

A few things, yes. First, why are the icons on the desktop like that (I haven't touched that area of the config). I was assuming it would show real screenshots of the windows but instead it shows the icon, if it has one. Note the rxvt icon is just a miniature block of text, completely useless as it is.

Second, I added a menu item to change the background pic using:
Code:

SetEnv fvwm_backgrounds_path $[HOME]/wallpapers
SetEnv fvwm_backgrounds_exec xv -max -root -quit

Code:

AddToFunc FuncFvwmMenuDirectory
+ I PipeRead 'case "$0" in \
   $[fvwm_backgrounds_path]*) myexec=$[fvwm_backgrounds_exec] mypng=backgrounds.png;; \
        $[fvwm_rom_path]*) myexec=$[fvwm_rom_exec] mypng=games_puzzles_dice.png;; \
        $[fvwm_video_path]*) myexec=$[fvwm_video_exec] mypng=film.png;; \

Code:

DestroyMenu MenuFvwmConfig
AddToMenu MenuFvwmConfig
+   MissingSubmenuFunction FuncFvwmMenuDirectory
+   %backgrounds.png%"Change Background"  Popup $[fvwm_backgrounds_path]
+   %graphics_palette_view.png%"Color Browser" Exec exec gcolor

However, instead of correctly changing the background pic (which if typed in the console this does) this puts a full-screen pic up, then I have to choose to set it as the root pic and choose to exit. Any ideas? Or perhaps there's a better way to do this?

Third, I was wondering if there was a way to remove the gray border on the left side of the buttons bar (not too important, but still...). Also, is there a way to make the buttons trasparent/translucent? (Not important, but cool. And I know crystal can do this, so it should be possible). Lastly, why do I have this ugly 5px border on the windows? I didn't change anything that I can tell:
Code:

#################
#Style * Font "xft:Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Roman:size=11"
Style * Font "xft:Courier:Bold:size=8, BorderWidth 1, HandleWidth 1"
Style * Color #f6f6f6/black, HilightBack black, HilightFore white
Style * MWMFunctions, MWMDecor, HintOverride, DecorateTransient, NoPPosition
Style * IconBox 20 100 100 -15, SloppyFocus, MouseFocusClickRaises
Style * SmartPlacement, WindowShadeSteps 20, ResizeOpaque
Style * Button 1, Button 2, Button 4, Button 6, GrabFocusOff
Style * NoIconTitle, Icon unknown.png

Sorry for the lengthy post, but the irc channel wasn't too helpful. Thanks again for letting us know about fvwm!
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisashton84 wrote:

http://www.chrisashton84.com/files/fvwm-2-15-04.jpg

very nice!
Quote:
A few things, yes. First, why are the icons on the desktop like that (I haven't touched that area of the config). I was assuming it would show real screenshots of the windows but instead it shows the icon, if it has one. Note the rxvt icon is just a miniature block of text, completely useless as it is.

Hmm, do you have ImageMagick installed? media-gfx/imagemagick, it's a popular set of command line image manipulation utilities (among other things), I make use of them in my config.

Quote:
However, instead of correctly changing the background pic (which if typed in the console this does) this puts a full-screen pic up, then I have to choose to set it as the root pic and choose to exit. Any ideas? Or perhaps there's a better way to do this?

Oops :) It's a bug in my config, change the function to this:
Code:

DestroyFunc FuncFvwmMenuDirectory
AddToFunc FuncFvwmMenuDirectory
+ I PipeRead 'case "$0" in \
      $[fvwm_rom_path]*) myexec="$[fvwm_rom_exec]" mypng=games_puzzles_dice.png;; \
      $[fvwm_video_path]*) myexec="$[fvwm_video_exec]" mypng=film.png;; \
      $[fvwm_audio_path]*) myexec="$[fvwm_audio_exec]" mypng=audio.png;; \
      $[fvwm_image_path]*) myexec="$[fvwm_image_exec]" mypng=graphics_presentation_person.png;; \
   esac; \
   fvwm-menu-directory --icon-title folder_view.png --icon-file ${mypng:-file_text_view.png} \
   --icon-dir folder_paper_closed.png --dir "$0" --xterm exec --exec-file "${myexec:-gvim}"'

Then define your execs like this:
Code:

SetEnv fvwm_audio_path $[HOME]/media/audio
SetEnv fvwm_audio_exec "beep-media-player --play"

SetEnv fvwm_image_path $[HOME]/media/images
SetEnv fvwm_image_exec "xv -root -max -quit"

Quote:
Third, I was wondering if there was a way to remove the gray border on the left side of the buttons bar (not too important, but still...).

Yes, its just a normal button made to look skinny and bound to Nop, I thought it looked cool :P

Quote:
Also, is there a way to make the buttons trasparent/translucent? (Not important, but cool. And I know crystal can do this, so it should be possible).

Yes, add RootTransparent to the Colorset your ButtonBar uses (theres some information on using Transparency in the faq at fvwm.org).

Quote:
Lastly, why do I have this ugly 5px border on the windows? I didn't change anything that I can tell:
Code:

Style * Font "xft:Courier:Bold:size=8, BorderWidth 1, HandleWidth 1"

This line is a typo, change it to this:
Code:

Style * Font "xft:Courier:Bold:size=8", BorderWidth 1, HandleWidth 1

Quote:
Thanks again for letting us know about fvwm!

No problem ;)
chrisashton84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, almost got it working just right - I had to change the background changing program because it didn't work with transparencies. Now I'm using
Code:
habak -i filename -S

The problem is the -S has to come after the file name to tell it to scale that. Is there any way to concat strings in the config file? I set
Code:
SetEnv fvwm_backgrounds_param2 " -S"

but how could I code this so it's added to the command after the file name?

EDIT: They do it in the fvwm-crystal code but seeing as I uninstalled that.... and I can't find it on the internet anywhere... perhaps someone with fvwm-crystal could post or email me their setup? (I know there's tons of config files so it might not be so easy to post it or find the right area)?

EDIT EDIT: Guess they used a perl script to get the random desktop function. Very odd, since habak comes with a random chooser function... oh well, guess I can't go about it that way. Maybe I could do a simple shell script? But I don't know much about doing that. I could even ln a wallpaper.last file to whatever was used last. Hmm... help?
z33k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey taviso, I have been messing around with your config and slowly im getting Fvwm to play like I want.

Couple issues though, I dont have any buttons on my window title bars. I left that part of the config uncommented though. Im assuming it is the part where you talk about the vectors and there is an ascii picture of the window titles. What am I dont wrong? If I need to post my config I can, I just didnt want to take up all the space if I dont need to.

Second, when a window is thumbnailed and dethumbnailed is there a way to slow the animation down a bit? I like eye candy, but i have a fast machine and it goes by so fast i can barely see the flipping! :)

Thanks for the help so far. I'm liking fvwm more and more every day. I never thought that possible! haha I used to laugh if people said they used fvwm. no more!

-=Josh=-
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

z33k wrote:
Second, when a window is thumbnailed and dethumbnailed is there a way to slow the animation down a bit? I like eye candy, but i have a fast machine and it goes by so fast i can barely see the flipping! :)

Code:
       *FvwmAnimate: Delay msecs
              Tells  FvwmAnimate how many milliseconds to sleep between frames
              of animation.

or turn up the number of flips :D

Code:
       *FvwmAnimate: Iterations iterations
              Tells FvwmAnimate how many steps to break the animation into.

*FvwmAnimate: Twist twist
              Tells FvwmAnimate how many revolutions to twist  the  iconifica-
              tion frame.

taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The problem is the -S has to come after the file name to tell it to scale that.

Code:
$ cat > myhabak
#!/bin/sh
habak $* -S
^D
$ chmod 755 myhabak

you could do it without a wrapper, but this is simpler :)

btw, have you read the manpage for FvwmBacker?, might be something that will appeal to you :)
z33k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am stumped as to why I don't see any buttons on the window title bars. Ive read through some of the man page, though that is a lot of info to get through all at once.

Ive left the button part of your config pretty much untouched taviso. Here is the section below:
Code:

Colorset 7 fg black, bg white, NoShape, RootTransparent Buffer, Tint #5a8ade 60
Colorset 8 fg black, bg white, NoShape, RootTransparent Buffer, Tint #f6f6f6 20

DestroyDecor DefaultDecor
AddToDecor DefaultDecor
+ TitleStyle LeftJustified Height 16
+ TitleStyle InActive ( VGradient 16 1 #cacaca 50 #000000 -- Flat ) Active ( VGradient 16 1 #5a8ade 50 #000000 -- Flat )
+ ButtonStyle All InActive ( Colorset 8 -- Flat )
+ ButtonStyle All Active ( VGradient 15 1 #f6f6f6 90 #000000 -- Flat )
+ AddButtonStyle  4 ActiveUp Vector 9 30x30@2 30x60@2 60x60@2 60x30@2 30x30@2 30x35@2 60x35@2 0x99@4 0x0@2 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  4 Inactive Vector 7 30x30@3 30x60@3 60x60@3 60x30@3 30x30@3 30x35@3 60x35@3 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  4 ActiveDown Vector 10 35x35@2 35x65@2 65x65@2 65x35@2 35x35@2 35x40@2 65x40@2 0x99@4 0x0@2 99x0@2 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  1 Inactive Vector 4 44x44@3 44x45@3 45x45@3 44x44@3 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  1 ActiveUp Vector 6 44x44@2 44x45@2 45x45@2 44x44@2 99x99@4 99x0@2 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  1 ActiveDown Vector 8 49x49@2 49x50@2 50x50@2 49x49@2 99x90@4 99x0@2 99x0@2 0x0@2-- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  6 ActiveUp Vector 7 30x60@2 60x60@2 60x50@2 30x50@2 30x60@2 0x99@4 0x0@2 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  6 Inactive Vector 5 30x60@3 60x60@3 60x50@3 30x50@3 30x60@3 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  6 ActiveDown Vector 8 35x65@2 65x65@2 65x60@2 35x60@2 35x65@2 0x99@4 0x0@2 99x0@2 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  2 ActiveUp Vector 6 30x30@2 60x60@2 60x30@4 30x60@2 0x99@4 0x0@2 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  2 Inactive Vector 4 30x30@3 60x60@3 60x30@4 30x60@3 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  2 ActiveDown Vector 7 35x35@2 65x65@2 65x35@4 35x65@2 0x99@4 0x0@2 99x0@2 -- Flat
+ ButtonStyle 1 - MwmDecorMenu
+ ButtonStyle 6 - MwmDecorMin
+ ButtonStyle 4 - MwmDecorMax

Style * UseDecor DefaultDecor

I was thinking there might have been images referenced for the buttons that i dont have, but i cant see any. FVWM doesnt output any errors to STDOUT or STDERR either about the buttons. Am I just missing a command or something? Thanks in advance!

-Josh
Pestlett
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried using Fvwm and while it is hard, I have to admit that this has been my favourite wm, ever!!
Not only can it be optimised perfectly for speed and beauty, you also get a great satifaction when you see it run. So far I have created some basic scripts by looking at what other people have scripted. The most helpful was by Tavis Ormandy.
I was wondering if anyone else had any extra things that they have done that looks cool, and if you could please post it on here. A lot of the old links are now broken :(.

Thanks
rawoul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

z33k wrote:
I am stumped as to why I don't see any buttons on the window title bars.

You probably forgot to add the mouse bindings to the buttons, for example for button 2 (close) you should add:
Mouse 0 2 A Close
z33k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raoul wrote:

You probably forgot to add the mouse bindings to the buttons, for example for button 2 (close) you should add:
Mouse 0 2 A Close

That was it!! I had commented those mouse bindings out when i started modifying Tavis's config. My buttons work now! Thanks much.
appetitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your post got me to finally start giving up old faithful 1.24 fvwm. Since I started back in the 1.1.41 kernel days and worked out X long, long ago, I never bothered upgrading fvwm since it worked fine, fast, and faithfully. Most window managers nowdays are full of fluff, so no real need to upgrade IMO.

About the only problem was that fvwm-convert-2.2 wasn't installed and I needed to manually build fvwm2 in order to convert my old rc file. Looks like SmartPlacement has been improved for congested desktops. That might have been worth the upgrade, but usually I have plenty of space via the Pager.

------

Speaking of the old days, I recall that several years ago someone was working on smarter popups. The idea is to minimize the mouse travel from the time when you first initiate a menu selection (generally when you left click on the background) to release on the desired program. Currently selections follow the one dimensional list paradigm (i.e. you move only up to down some list, meaning there are only two choices immediately possible), but this old idea had a octagonal structure, so you could move 8 ways instead. There was an effort to put it into fvwm 2.2 as I recall. Here's an example:

Code:

Simple:                                                                         Efficient:
 LOGINS: -> MachineAA                                     
                     MachineBB                                       MachineAA
                     MachineCC                            MachineHH            MachineBB
                     MachineDD                     MachineGG         LOGINS            MachineCC
                     MachineEE                             MachineFF          MachineDD
                     MachineFF                                       MachineEE
                     MachineGG
                     MachineHH

(hmm, wonder what this looks like in your browser...'code' should have a non-proportional font)

With Simple, to get to MachineHH, you must pass down the entire list. With Efficient, it is one short movement. Unless you are an immortal, you do care about how long something takes (more than if it has sharp or smooth edges).
Being a Gentoo user means living in a house inhabited by a family of crazed carpenters. When you wake up, the house is different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved, or perhaps someone has removed the floor under your bed.
TheEternalVortex
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys use for your left/middle/right click on the desktop?
mtj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using no taskbar-module (admittedly I fell in love with fvwm and Linux in general when I found out how to switch off that abomination :) ):
left: utilities/applications menu
middle: window operations
right: window list
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

left: root menu
middle: windowlist
right: mouse gestures :)
tarsh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I share my Fvwm setup with the rest of you, just started so have not written that many tweaks yet. Most ideas has come from reading taviso's setup. But I'll keep on perfecting and testing different setups. So far Fvwm has given me headaches and the feeling of satisfaction when I managed to get some features working.

Thanks taviso for the Thumbnailing functions, Thanks Wedge_ for the processlist function.

Screenshot
.fvwm2rc
BobDylan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: about fvwm-menu-headlines Reply with quote

I would like to setup fvwm-menu-directory to work with advancemame.
Let me explain myself:

I have a rom directory $HOME/games/roms
populated with *.zip rom files

To launch advancemame you have to type "advmame myrom" where myrom is the name of the *.zip file without the .zip extension.

Since fvwm-menu-directory works with absolute paths, I'm unable to use it for browsing and launching my roms (advancemame hangs when you issue "advmame $HOME/games/roms/myrom.zip), but I don't want to build a static menu because the content of my "roms" directory changes very often.

Any help would be appreciated. :wink:

*EDIT* replaced fvwm-menu-headlines with fvwm-menu-directory, what a dumb mistake...

Last edited by BobDylan on Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 13 of 67

Jump to: