Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The F? Virtual Window Manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 65, 66, 67  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derryth wrote:
christsong84 wrote:
I vote for tonight ;) (but I've never been known for patience..hehe)

Ok, I'm not that patiented myself either. Tonight it is then. :) I'll just have to go and backup my home directory and I'll be set. Wish me luck!

as ordered: good luck ;) hehe
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: You'll be hooked Reply with quote

Well, it is nice to see some more converts. But look out because you will get hooked.
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: You'll be hooked Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
Well, it is nice to see some more converts. But look out because you will get hooked.

isn't that what gentoo is all about? addiction!

my list so far of addictions:
linux (gentoo 'caus it's easy to maintain with portage)
nwn (linux version 'cause I get better performance as well as no darn opengl error that crashs it) :D
fvwm (so configurable...must...tweak...)
etc...

;)
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: You'll be hooked Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:

I'm boostrapping atm. And I know I will get hooked (perhaps I already am). It's partially because of that I'm hoping to switch computer sience to a gardening related degree next year. It would be too much to work on computers all day and then get back home and start playing with another computer. Perhaps it's also better to keep computers as a hobby so that I will never get bored with them. I can always take a computer science class every now and then since I've already gotten into university.

edit: I forgot to ask, what use flags should I set to be able to use kde and gnome apps?
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: You'll be hooked Reply with quote

Derryth wrote:
Chickpea wrote:

I'm boostrapping atm. And I know I will get hooked (perhaps I already am). It's partially because of that I'm hoping to switch computer sience to a gardening related degree next year. It would be too much to work on computers all day and then get back home and start playing with another computer. Perhaps it's also better to keep computers as a hobby so that I will never get bored with them. I can always take a computer science class every now and then since I've already gotten into university.

edit: I forgot to ask, what use flags should I set to be able to use kde and gnome apps?

include in USE="kde gnome"...not that hard really ;)

I'm a computer addict...I've yet to be bored with it. CS degree and job and hobby...I'll admit it's a bit much but hey...social stuff's over-rated ;) (I'm kidding on the over-rated comment)

Though I think I need to redo my computer as I'm having plenty of issues that I think relate to configuration problems...(gcc acting flakey and compiles having 40% chance of failure...computer freezing under any duration of load, etc). Hope everyting goes well on your install!
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: You'll be hooked Reply with quote

christsong84 wrote:

I'm a computer addict...I've yet to be bored with it. CS degree and job and hobby...I'll admit it's a bit much but hey...social stuff's over-rated ;) (I'm kidding on the over-rated comment)

Though I think I need to redo my computer as I'm having plenty of issues that I think relate to configuration problems...(gcc acting flakey and compiles having 40% chance of failure...computer freezing under any duration of load, etc). Hope everyting goes well on your install!

*hits self in the head* That's pretty obvious.

My problem has always been that I'm interested in way too many things to be able to ever pursue all of my interests. :( I sometimes thinks that it's also better to do one thing as a job and another one as a hobby so that I can get two things. Then I can try to do some of the others on the side.

My computer is a bit stupid too. It goes a bit too hot for my liking and some of the components aren't quite optimal. But it's mine and it works. My installs working too so far except that I had to start bootstrapping over because I stupid download stopped in the middle.
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: You'll be hooked Reply with quote

Derryth wrote:
christsong84 wrote:

*hits self in the head* That's pretty obvious.

My problem has always been that I'm interested in way too many things to be able to ever pursue all of my interests. :( I sometimes thinks that it's also better to do one thing as a job and another one as a hobby so that I can get two things. Then I can try to do some of the others on the side.

My computer is a bit stupid too. It goes a bit too hot for my liking and some of the components aren't quite optimal. But it's mine and it works. My installs working too so far except that I had to start bootstrapping over because I stupid download stopped in the middle.

heh...opps. I can understand on the heat issue...mine 'caused problems on the initial install which is why I want to start over again. (after backing up my .fvwm2rc of course ;) )

((dual xeons + geforce FX = space heater for my room...but I have litterally cut down on my heating costs...I was quite amazed...just hope the summer doesn't make it worse :P ))
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: You'll be hooked Reply with quote

Derryth wrote:
I forgot to ask, what use flags should I set to be able to use kde and gnome apps?

putting gnome and kde in the USE flags will only give you support for gnome and kde apps

If you do an
Code:
emerge -pv fvwm
You will see a nice list of USE flags. These are USE flags indicated in the ebuild
Code:
x11-wm/fvwm-2.5.8-r3 [2.5.8-r5] -bidi -debug -gnome +gtk +gtk2 +imlib +ncurses +nls +perl +png +readline +rplay +stroke +tcltk +truetype -xinerama  23 kB
Although on this screen you don't see color when you do this in your term you will see color. The USE flags in red are the ones you have enabled and those that are in blue are flags that are "disabled"

Mostly you should be able to use any Kde or Gnome app as long as you have the proper dependencies
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: You'll be hooked Reply with quote

christsong84 wrote:
heh...opps. I can understand on the heat issue...mine 'caused problems on the initial install which is why I want to start over again. (after backing up my .fvwm2rc of course ;) )

((dual xeons + geforce FX = space heater for my room...but I have litterally cut down on my heating costs...I was quite amazed...just hope the summer doesn't make it worse :P ))

Don't even speak about the summer. When it was like 35 degrees celsius here I was unable to do anything on my computer due to over heating and it's just a little athlon xp 2400+ with radeon 9100. But this is getting a bit off topic so I should say something strictly on topic now. Hmm... I' think I'll set up my fvwm a little on the weekend so that I can post a screenshot (if I can figure out how). I don't think I could stand that ugly thing for more than a day anyway. I wish it was already tomorrow so I could start setting it up.
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: You'll be hooked Reply with quote

Derryth wrote:
christsong84 wrote:

Don't even speak about the summer. When it was like 35 degrees celsius here I was unable to do anything on my computer due to over heating and it's just a little athlon xp 2400+ with radeon 9100. But this is getting a bit off topic so I should say something strictly on topic now. Hmm... I' think I'll set up my fvwm a little on the weekend so that I can post a screenshot (if I can figure out how). I don't think I could stand that ugly thing for more than a day anyway. I wish it was already tomorrow so I could start setting it up.

tip: easiest way to get up and running is to just use taviso's fvwm2rc file and then start tweaking from there (I really think taviso's file should probably be the default...not that ugle sucker they put up there initially :P )
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: You'll be hooked Reply with quote

Derryth wrote:
Hmm... I' think I'll set up my fvwm a little on the weekend so that I can post a screenshot (if I can figure out how)

Just do

Code:
emerge imagemagick

and then

Code:
import -w root somename.png

You could of course just use gimp to make a screenshot and a dozen others ways exist as well, but this is the one I use :)
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: You'll be hooked Reply with quote

christsong84 wrote:
tip: easiest way to get up and running is to just use taviso's fvwm2rc file and then start tweaking from there (I really think taviso's file should probably be the default...not that ugle sucker they put up there initially :P )

Thanks for the tip! I think I'll do just that now that I've been able to locate the file. Just have to figure out what all the stuff means some time.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: You'll be hooked Reply with quote

theBlackDragon wrote:

You could of course just use gimp to make a screenshot and a dozen others ways exist as well, but this is the one I use :)

or
Code:
 emerge scrot
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Using thumbnails in fvwm menu ?? Reply with quote

jean456 wrote:
I've heard about a new piece of software called epeg that can generate thumbnails very fast and I was wondering: is it possible to use such software in fvwm menu for browsing image directories ?
It would be another fvwm's power demonstration...

This isnt a problem in theory, but unfortunately fvwm doesnt include jpeg support..i suspect it's due to the disputed patent status, so the thumbnails wont be displayed in fvwm menus :(

However, doing this with png is trivial :D

imho, the best way to do this would be as a MissingSubmenuFunction, you can use convert from imagemagick to make the thumbnails.
Code:
SetEnv fvwm_wallpaper_dir /home/taviso/wallpaper

DestroyFunc WallpaperBrowser
AddToFunc WallpaperBrowser
+ I DestroyMenu WallpaperBrowser
+ I AddToMenu WallpaperBrowser
+ I + DynamicPopDownAction DestroyMenu WallpaperBrowser
+ I PipeRead 'test ! -d $[fvwm_wallpaper_dir]/.thumbs && mkdir $[fvwm_wallpaper_dir]/.thumbs; \
   for i in $[fvwm_wallpaper_dir]/*; do \
      test -f "$[fvwm_wallpaper_dir]/.thumbs/${i##*/}" \
         -a "${i}" -ot "$[fvwm_wallpaper_dir]/.thumbs/${i##*/}" || { \
            convert -quality 0 -scale 32 "${i}" "png:$[fvwm_wallpaper_dir]/.thumbs/${i##*/}" 2>/dev/null \
               || continue; \
         }; \
      printf "+ %%%s%%\\"%s\\" Exec exec fvwm-root -r %s\\n" \
         "$[fvwm_wallpaper_dir]/.thumbs/${i##*/}" "${i##*/}" "${i}"; \
   done'

note: if you have a lot of wallpaper, this will be slow the first time you run it.
note2: this will still work if you have non-image files in your walpaper dir.
note3: I've used fvwm-root -r in this function, which only supports xpm and png, the menu will still display jpg's or whatever, but fvwm-root wont set them as wallpaper...you can set this to Esetroot or xv or somthing if you use a lot of jpeg's.

Then all you need to do is set this function as the MissingSubmenuFunction for your configuration menu, mine is called MenuFvwmConfig, substitute with whatever your's is called :)

Code:
AddToMenu MenuFvwmConfig MissingSubmenuFunction WallpaperBrowser
+ %graphics_convert_polaroid.png%"Browse Wallpaper" Popup WallpaperBrowser

Little demo: http://dev.gentoo.org/~taviso/browsewall.png

If anyone has any improvements, feel free to reply :)

ps: bit of a delay before replying, but i was only thinking about it today and remembered your post :)

Last edited by taviso on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Using thumbnails in fvwm menu ?? Reply with quote

taviso wrote:

However, doing this with png is trivial :D
i

Yea, for you maybe being the superior jedi master of fvwm....I am still trying to figure out what mwmdecor is :P
Keffin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Damn you Reply with quote

You've got me so interested in trying out fvwm and I don't have any spare time for the next 3 weeks :(. But then I get 5 weeks free to play :twisted:.
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Damn you Reply with quote

Keffin wrote:
You've got me so interested in trying out fvwm and I don't have any spare time for the next 3 weeks :(. But then I get 5 weeks free to play :twisted:.

hey...you can just use traviso's config file and tweak as needed throughout ;) easy startup and you're good to go...and just tweak little things along the way.

of curiosity...where's the images for the references on the menu? I can't find them...but then again I'm not searching terribly hard either. (e.g. Alt button image...app images, etc)
Roptaty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Damn you Reply with quote

christsong84 wrote:

of curiosity...where's the images for the references on the menu? I can't find them...but then again I'm not searching terribly hard either. (e.g. Alt button image...app images, etc)

Look at an earlier post in this thread. taviso has posted the step-by-step guide to get those installed
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

SetEnv fvwm_image_path $[HOME]/media/images
SetEnv fvwm_image_exec xview

DestroyFunc ImageBrowser
AddToFunc ImageBrowser
+ I DestroyMenu ImageBrowser
+ I AddToMenu ImageBrowser
+ I + DynamicPopDownAction DestroyMenu ImageBrowser
+ I PipeRead 'test ! -d $[fvwm_image_path]/.thumbs && mkdir
$[fvwm_image_path]/.thumbs; \
   for i in $[fvwm_image_path]/*; do \
      test -f "$[fvwm_Image_path]/.thumbs/${i##*/}" \
         -a "${i}" -ot "$[fvwm_image_path]/.thumbs/${i##*/}" || { \
            convert -quality 0 -scale 32 "${i}"
"png:$[fvwm_image_path]/.thumbs/${i##*/}" 2>/dev/null \
               || continue; \
         }; \
      printf "+ %%%s%%\\"%s\\" Exec exec fvwm-root -r %s\\n" \
         "$[fvwm_image_path]/.thumbs/${i##*/}" "${i##*/}" "${i}"; \
   done'

anything I'm doing wrong? all I get is all the directories in my home dir...and no thumbs :P
chrisashton84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

fvwm_Image_path

Shouldn't be capitalized, or does it matter? Besides that make sure the menu itself is set up correctly:

Code:
+   MissingSubmenuFunction WallpaperBrowser
+   "Change Background"                     Popup WallpaperBrowser

I'm just noting this because I forgot to set the right MissingSubmenuFuction and it confused the heck out of me for a while.
astaroth_pod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Taviso, what are all the icons in your config file? I can't find them in any packages...

(Also I can't make the artwiz font work, but that's something I'll figure I suppose) =)
psyqil
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astaroth_pod wrote:
what are all the icons in your config file?
Have a look at page 13 of this very thread...;-) Click!
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisashton84 wrote:
Code:

fvwm_Image_path

Shouldn't be capitalized, or does it matter? Besides that make sure the menu itself is set up correctly:

Code:
+   MissingSubmenuFunction WallpaperBrowser
+   "Change Background"                     Popup WallpaperBrowser

I'm just noting this because I forgot to set the right MissingSubmenuFuction and it confused the heck out of me for a while.

heh...I actually found that last night...problem was nano seg faulted on save...nooooo!!! (I'm rebuilding my computer from scratch now...every thing's fsck'd up now :P
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my installation finished and I'm writing this from my really ugl... I mean highly fuctional fvwm. I'm reading the man page and trying to make some sense into this while installing some programs.
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derryth wrote:
I just got my installation finished and I'm writing this from my really ugl... I mean highly fuctional fvwm. I'm reading the man page and trying to make some sense into this while installing some programs.

go get taviso's fvwm2rc...it really is a great starting point and is well commented :)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 15 of 67

Jump to: