Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The F? Virtual Window Manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 65, 66, 67  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flow_NTC wrote:
i got a little problem when starting gdesklets:
it starts properly but the displays are not transparent :(
i set no background in the config, but still there is a purple like background behind the display, what makes gdesklets looking very stupid

ps: on kde there is no such problem. perfectly working there

The kind of root transparency used by apps like gdesklets relies on a pixmap being published so it knows what the root window looks like..if you have used xsetroot or something like that, prperties like ESETROOT_PMAP_ID are not set, so the transparency doesnt work. (check out the fvwm-root man page in the description of the --retain-pixmap option for more about this), or if you are a programmer you can read a technical description about it and the advantages of this method here.

apparently kde will take care of this for you (if you dont use any applications that rely on the pixmap being published, doesnt that waste loads of memory?...seems like a lot of waste for some small convenience :))

anyway, if you emerge xv you get a cool little utility called bggen that will make solid or gradient pixmaps (it's very configurable) suitable for using with fvwm-root...should solve your problems :)

Alternatively, use FvwmBacker and setup a colorset to do it, and set the RetainPixmap option. :)
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to get the mplayer control window to move to the bottom right of the screen each time it's opened, but it just will not work. I'm using the method from the fvwm FAQ that monitors new windows with FvwmEvent, and I can get it to work fine with other apps, but it has no effect on mplayer for some reason. Anyone know what's going wrong?
jasonou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any advantage in defining colorsets with FvwmTheme?
hrnick
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
I've been trying to get the mplayer control window to move to the bottom right of the screen each time it's opened, but it just will not work. I'm using the method from the fvwm FAQ that monitors new windows with FvwmEvent, and I can get it to work fine with other apps, but it has no effect on mplayer for some reason. Anyone know what's going wrong?

I'm using the following to make mplayer start in the top right corner of my screen. I don't use the mplayer gui myself, but if I run gmplayer it will start in the same corner. The only problem is that the file select dialog and the video window will start in the same place
Code:
Module FvwmEvent       FvwmEvent
*FvwmEvent:            Cmd
*FvwmEvent:            PassId
*FvwmEvent:            Add_window NewWindowEvent

AddToFunc NewWindowEvent
+ I WindowId $0 ( "MPlayer" ) Move -0 0
Fitzsimmons
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Window and Button colors Reply with quote

I've got my inactive windows looking something like this:

http://fitz.homelinux.org/temp/aterm-inactive.png

When activated, I want them to look exactly the same except for the title and the buttons to be white instead of grey. Right now, I'm getting something like this:

http://fitz.homelinux.org/temp/aterm-active.png

I also don't like getting those lines inbetween the buttons. Here's my makeshift, jury-rigged, hardly-commented and probably error-ridden config file:

http://fitz.homelinux.org/temp/fvwm2rc

Yes, I have all sorts of colorsets and things that are not being used... I plan on cleaning all that up when everything is working.

Thanks for any help
dh3rm3
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Window and Button colors Reply with quote

ssjf wrote:

When activated, I want them to look exactly the same except for the title and the buttons to be white instead of grey. Right now, I'm getting something like this:

I also don't like getting those lines inbetween the buttons. Here's my makeshift, jury-rigged, hardly-commented and probably error-ridden config file:

Yes, I have all sorts of colorsets and things that are not being used... I plan on cleaning all that up when everything is working.

Thanks for any help

I got the same problem when adapting from taviso's fvwm2rc
Anyway try this , ( except for the colorset, fill with your owns )
It should remove the lines

Code:

DestroyDecor DefaultDecor
AddToDecor DefaultDecor
+ TitleStyle LeftJustified Height 12
+ TitleStyle InActive ( Colorset 8 -- Flat ) \
    Active ( Colorset 8  -- Flat )
+ ButtonStyle All InActive ( Colorset 8 -- Flat )
+ ButtonStyle All Active ( Colorset 8  -- Flat )
+ AddButtonStyle  4 ActiveUp Vector 7 30x30@3 30x60@3 60x60@3 60x30@3 \
        30x30@3 30x35@3 60x35@3 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  4 Inactive Vector 7 30x30@3 30x60@3 60x60@3 60x30@3 \
        30x30@3 30x35@3 60x35@3 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  4 ActiveDown Vector 2 35x35@2 35x65@2 65x65@2 65x35@2 \
        35x35@2 35x40@2 65x40@2 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  1 Inactive Vector 4 44x44@3 44x45@3 45x45@3 44x44@3 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  1 ActiveUp Vector 4 44x44@2 44x45@2 45x45@2 44x44@2  -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  1 ActiveDown Vector 4 49x49@2 49x50@2 50x50@2 49x49@2 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  6 ActiveUp Vector 5 30x60@3 60x60@3 60x50@3 30x50@3 30x60@3 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  6 Inactive Vector 5 30x60@3 60x60@3 60x50@3 30x50@3 30x60@3 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  6 ActiveDown Vector 5 30x60@3 60x60@3 60x50@3 30x50@3 30x60@3 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  2 ActiveUp Vector 4 30x30@2 60x60@2 60x30@4 30x60@2  -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  2 Inactive Vector 4 30x30@3 60x60@3 60x30@4 30x60@3 -- Flat
+ AddButtonStyle  2 ActiveDown Vector 4 35x35@2 65x65@2 65x35@4 35x65@2 -- Flat
+ ButtonStyle 1 - MwmDecorMenu
+ ButtonStyle 6 - MwmDecorMin
+ ButtonStyle 4 - MwmDecorMax

Style * UseDecor DefaultDecor

Jesco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried my hands again at fvwm. I used taviso's config, stole some bits from ikaro (his cool popup menu) and changed the colors to my liking. I have, however, a couple of problems:

- When I first start fvwm, the windows do not responds to keyboard/mouse input (they are focused, though). The FvwmButton Bar doesn't respond neither. I have to first select a window from the WindowList.

- Thumbnails only start working when I restart fvwm.

- I cannot use special characters like backslash et al. When I press alt-gr a small blue windows pops up.

Does anybody have an idea. I'm a bit stuck on these and could need a helping pointer.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

henrik wrote:
Wedge_ wrote:

I'm using the following to make mplayer start in the top right corner of my screen. I don't use the mplayer gui myself, but if I run gmplayer it will start in the same corner. The only problem is that the file select dialog and the video window will start in the same place
Code:
Module FvwmEvent       FvwmEvent
*FvwmEvent:            Cmd
*FvwmEvent:            PassId
*FvwmEvent:            Add_window NewWindowEvent

AddToFunc NewWindowEvent
+ I WindowId $0 ( "MPlayer" ) Move -0 0

That's the kind of thing I was trying to do, but it just doesn't work for some reason. I can get it to pick out the MPlayer window correctly, and if I use a command like "WarpToWindow", it does that alright. However, if I try to use "Move", it just ignores it. I even tried opening FvwmConsole, typing "Move 100p 100p" and selecting the window directly and it still didn't work.
Flow_NTC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeah go that transparent stuff working
but now i have a crazy problem i set:
Quote:

Style gdesklets NoTitle,NoHandles,!Borders,WindowListSkip,CirculateSkip,StaysOnBottom,ParentalRelativity

but gdesklet has still borders and stuff like that....somebody got an idea?
BobDylan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taviso wrote:
You arent limited to using a WindowList, there are hundreds of other techniques, like Wedge_'s Circulate binding above, or a Transient Pager, or FvwmProxy (totally rocks, try it), or hundreds of variations of them and other alternatives. I already have a menu that shows screenshots of open windows, and allows you to pick one, I'm also working on a OSX expose style function, using a compination of FvwmEvent and Iconify.

Well, Taviso, are you preparing a new FVWM Revolution ?
I wonder what secret treasures you've put in your new config file...
Wedge_ wrote:
That's the kind of thing I was trying to do, but it just doesn't work for some reason. I can get it to pick out the MPlayer window correctly, and if I use a command like "WarpToWindow", it does that alright. However, if I try to use "Move", it just ignores it. I even tried opening FvwmConsole, typing "Move 100p 100p" and selecting the window directly and it still didn't work.

This kind of thing works only if I specify MPlayer* instead of MPlayer in my config file.

Last edited by BobDylan on Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobDylan wrote:
Wedge_ wrote:

This kind of thing works only if I specify MPlayer* instead of MPlayer in my config file.

Where do you mean?
BobDylan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
BobDylan wrote:
Wedge_ wrote:

Where do you mean?

+ I WindowId $0 ( "MPlayer*" ) Move -0 0
or Style MPlayer*
Fitzsimmons
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Window and Button colors Reply with quote

dh3rm3 wrote:
ssjf wrote:

Thanks for any help

I got the same problem when adapting from taviso's fvwm2rc
Anyway try this , ( except for the colorset, fill with your owns )
It should remove the lines

[snip]

That almost works, however it seems that the 'x' (button 2) is taking different coloring instructions than all of the other buttons. The title and other buttons will turn white when the window is active, but the x turns black. What's going on with that?
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobDylan wrote:
+ I WindowId $0 ( "MPlayer*" ) Move -0 0
or Style MPlayer*

OK, I'll try that.
aaronjb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to work out if something in particular is possible with FvwmPager now for a little while, but it's escaping me (not hard :D )..

I'm using the fvwm-crystal config, slightly modified so far to suit me better, but I'd really like the iconbox & Pager to display tiny thumbnails of the windows (I know, miniscule thumbnails!) instead of the 16x16 icons.. Is that possible?

Aaron
BobDylan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaronjb wrote:
I'm using the fvwm-crystal config, slightly modified so far to suit me better, but I'd really like the iconbox & Pager to display tiny thumbnails of the windows (I know, miniscule thumbnails!) instead of the 16x16 icons.. Is that possible?

Taviso has posted an example config to achieve that on the Fvwm mailing list.
Look at http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0403/msg00188.html
bravenoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok fvwm zealots. Convince me to switch. I just emerged fvwm 2.4.18 and it is the ugliest thing I have ever seen since WinXPs Luna. A lot of the screenshots look beautiful though. Direct me to (or write) a guide/howto on how to make fvwm usable for the someone like me (that would be intermediate/power-user).
kalisphoenix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brave noob indeed...
usingloser
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bravenoob wrote:
ok fvwm zealots. Convince me to switch. I just emerged fvwm 2.4.18 and it is the ugliest thing I have ever seen since WinXPs Luna. A lot of the screenshots look beautiful though. Direct me to (or write) a guide/howto on how to make fvwm usable for the someone like me (that would be intermediate/power-user).

first thing you want to do is
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86 emerge fvwm

You then can look at this fvwm2rc

http://ikaro.homepage.dk/fvwm/files/fvwm2rc

or a link to taviso's, I just don't have it handy right now
usingloser
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an image of my work in progress

http://psychoind.com/current.jpg
freedrivee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

after read this Thread i setup a fvwm system. I have only two questions left.

1. When i thumbnail my windows, i don't have a text under the thumbnails. What have i to configure to enable this?

2. When i switch the active windows via ALT+TAB the windows are bring to focus. I have set up keys to move the windows to other desktops. But whenever i switch to an other window, my mouse pointer follows. How can i disable this feature? I want to leave the mouse where it is.

Thanks.
Mongrol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

2. When i switch the active windows via ALT+TAB the windows are bring to focus. I have set up keys to move the windows to other desktops. But whenever i switch to an other window, my mouse pointer follows. How can i disable this feature? I want to leave the mouse where it is.

Thanks.

aaaarrgh!
freedrivee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ups, forget about the second. :oops:

:D
Keffin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've finally taken the plunge and emerged fvwm (2.5.8r6) and my first problem is a file manager... I have Gnome installed and use nautilus usually, but starting that up in fvwm gives me my Gnome wallpaper and the Gnome right click menu on the desktop. When I close nautilus I lose the Gnome desktop menu and get the fvwm one back, but I keep the wallpaper.

Is there a way of stopping these things from happening when I start nautilus? Or secondary to that can anybody suggest another file manager that doesn't need QT/KDE libs and does all the pretty thumbnail stuff like nautilus. I emerged gentoo (if only it worked for the distro ;)) which is okay but both ugly and lacking thumbnails.

I have plenty more questions but when I'm comfortable with a file manager I'd like to rtfm for a change :).
Jesco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keffin wrote:
Hi, I've finally taken the plunge and emerged fvwm (2.5.8r6) and my first problem is a file manager... I have Gnome installed and use nautilus usually, but starting that up in fvwm gives me my Gnome wallpaper and the Gnome right click menu on the desktop. When I close nautilus I lose the Gnome desktop menu and get the fvwm one back, but I keep the wallpaper.

Is there a way of stopping these things from happening when I start nautilus?

That's an easy one. Try nautilus --no-desktop.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 23 of 67

Jump to: