Samba, Gentoo and Virutal Guests.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NiceGuy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Samba, Gentoo and Virutal Guests. Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Gentoo (host) server running vmware server and a Gentoo Guest.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use samba for two linux machines to share files/folders in such a scenario. That is
a host gentoo machine sharing files with a gentoo virtual guest machine through samba?

Thanks
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put samba on the Host system and you should be able to mount it from the guest systems.
gsoe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, definitely. I'm sharing files between my gentoo host and a windows (virtualbox) guest that way.

I'm using the simple, masqueraded NIC model though, so I can only access the host from the guest, not vice versa. If you need two way access, you'll have to setup the bridged NIC model.
NiceGuy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm using the simple, masqueraded NIC model though, so I can only access the host from the guest, not vice versa. If you need two way access, you'll have to setup the bridged NIC model.

So if I am already committed to the NAT configuration in vmware, that is, my gentoo vm host and gentoo vm guest are configured in NAT then it is not possible to setup a samba share that both the gentoo host and gentoo guest can both read and write to??

GOAL:
To clarify, I am trying to allow ftp users the ability to ftp into the host, drop off/store documents in the samba shared folder, then have my guest pickup/retrieve those ftp documents. Afterward, my guest will in turn return an acknowledgment (a document) back into the samba folder for a ftp client to retrieve.

STEP 1. FTP CLIENT ---(document)--->VM HOST ----> SAMBA SHARE ----> VM GUEST

STEP 2. VM GUEST--(acknowledgment)--> SAMBA SHARE <---- VM HOST<--- FTP CLIENT

Thanks again for you guidance.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: