View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluey_the_dog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]mplayer won't go full screen Reply with quote

Hi all,
Recently did a big emerge world on my media player. A lot of stuff was rebuilt and subsequently the front end, freevo, is now stuffed. Whilst trying to work out what's wrong, I ran mplayer, which my freevoinstall uses as the media player, from the command line and found something interesting.

The command line is meant to use xv for the graphics and go full screen:

Code:
mplayer -vo xv -fs mediaFile.avi

Instead of firing up and going full screen, I get a wireframe of a window, I think I'm using Openbox or Fluxbox, which follows the mouse around as I move the mouse. When I left click the mouse, another wireframe window appears, bigger than the first, which I then position in the top left hand corner and left click again. This time I get a fullscreen output of the video file.

Does anyone know what's wrong here, as to why I'm getting this mouse behaviour instead of mplayer just going fullscreen, without any intervention and displaying my media?

Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
Andrew

Last edited by Bluey_the_dog on Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
causality
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The option "-vo xv" is using the XVideo extension of your X server as its video driver. There are multiple video drivers available to Mplayer (see its manpage under the section titled "VIDEO OUTPUT DRIVERS"). The ones that you can use depend on what has been set up for your system. Not all of them will work for a particular computer.

You probably have a working OpenGL implementation. You definitely have this if you are using an nVidia or ATI graphics card with the binary drivers. You probably have this with other cards if the driver supports 3D acceleration. Even if you have none of those, you should have at least a software implementation of OpenGL, in which case you won't benefit from hardware acceleration but it should still work.

If you try changing the "-vo xv" option to "-vo gl" or "-vo gl2" to use the OpenGL drivers, does it work for you then? If nothing else you can also try "-vo x11"; the man page describes this as one that "works whenever X11 is present." That "-vo x11" driver never benefits from hardware acceleration so it's inferior to the others, but it should still be able to play video, albeit with higher CPU utilization.

Also, if you omit the "-fs" option for fullscreen, does mplayer successfully play the video in a window?
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

causality wrote:
...There are multiple video drivers available to Mplayer...

The simplest way to determine which drivers you have available from your build is:-
Code:
mplayer -vo help

...But the problem sounds more 'window-manager' related to me...
Bluey_the_dog wrote:
...I think I'm using Openbox or Fluxbox...

Either of those can be configured to manipulate different windows in different ways, with this behaviour matched to the appropriate window via any of it's attributes. The reason i mention this is that MPlayer sends the window-manager an "undecorate" message when it gets switched to full-screen, and it occured to me that you might get a conflict if the window-manager was expecting to undecorate any window running that app. In Fluxbox this is very easy to do by right-clicking a window's title-bar, changing some values and "remembering" those values for all future instances - the settings are then stored in the ~/.fluxbox/apps file (which can also be edited manually).

Openbox does similar things through it's ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml file, in the "applications" section near the bottom...

...So which window-manager do you have, and is it set up to "undecorate" windows with an 'MPlayer' attribute..? 8O

If that's all totally useless, the other thing that usually buggers up video-playback for me is 'compositing' - do you have 'xcompmgr' or anything similar running? :?
Bluey_the_dog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems it isn't the window manager or mplayer, which is where I would have laid the blame. I actually worked out why things were stuffed in the first place. I use Slim as the window manager and it seems that due to stuff discussed in these threads:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-803474.html
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=293285
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-805310.html

my Slim/X config was a bit dodgy. I removed siad dodgyness and things are now good. Freevo is back up and running as expected.

Thanks to those who proposed other solutions.

Andrew
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: