View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgehrig
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Compiz Fusion: No Windw Decorations/Borders Reply with quote

I just recently installed compiz and I'm having some trouble getting it to autostart...

If I run the following command everything works fine:
compiz-manager --replace

Getting compiz to start with KDE isn't proving as easy...
I have tried two methods:
One being simply changing the default WM in System Settings to "compiz". All of the effects worked, but emerald and the window borders/decorations did not load.

The second being creating a custom script at /usr/local/bin/compiz-kde-launcher. I've tried several commands with the file including

Code:
compiz-manager

Code:
compiz-manger
emerald

Code:
compiz-manger &
emerald &

Code:
kwin
compiz-manger --replace
emerald --replace

All of these resulted in the same effect, borderless windows. (I did test loading Kwin only to make sure the script was working)

For now I've got a bash file in /home/(user)/.kde4/Autostart

#!/bin/bash
emerald --replace

compiz loads as the default wm using the custom script and emerald loads at login. This works but creates an obnoxious few seconds where it is loading and nothing has borders...

Anyone have any ideas? I can't figure this one out. Is there some way to force compiz-manager to put a log file somewhere?
Thanks in advance
msalerno
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you go into the CompizConfig Settings Manager and select Windows Decoration?
jgehrig
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Window Decorations is selected....

Compiz doesn't have decorations when I select it as the default KDE WM, or when I create a compiz-kde-launcher script... It woks fine if I manually start it, or if i start emerald i the .kde4/Autostart services.
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you found a 'better' solution yet, but here's what I stumbled into - based in part on your comment about putting a script in autostart. First of all, I'm running KDE-4.3.4 and this is SO different from the solution in KDE-3.*! Under System Settings -> Advanced (tab) -> Autostart -> Add Script I added the compiz-manager script (/usr/bin/compiz-manager) and set it to run on startup. The compiz-manager script has a line in it that says, something to the effect of, if emerald is available, use it. It worked for me (I was trying to add the 'kwin=/usr/bin/compiz-manager to the /etc/env.d/43kdepaths - or something similar with no success) maybe it will work for you without all your additional scripts!

Now, if I can just get it to realize that the splash screen files REALLY ARE in the box, I'll be ecstatic! :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: