Gentoo on a VPS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ch00k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on a VPS Reply with quote

I have just purchased a VPS from Linode and intend to install Gentoo on it. One of the preconfigured images they are offering is Gentoo 2008.0. Besides this, there is a possibility to install the whole system from scratch (either install it on a local PC under VirtualBox/VMWare etc., and then transfer it to VPS, or install it on the VPS directly, chrooting). The question is, will there be any difference between the system, upgraded from 2008.0 to stable and the system (stable), built from scratch?
Another question is, which profile is the best to choose for a server?
I also read somewhere that for small amount of RAM (I have 360 Mb with my VPS) it's better to install x86 instead of x64 to have best performance. Is that true?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ch00k,

The 2008.0 image is almost 2 years old now. It was made from a Feb 2008 snapshot. It is known to be difficult to update any Gentoo that old, so do a build from scratch in the time honord way. It will be faster and more secure.

The memory footprint variation between x86 and amd64 installs varies from application to application. Its difficult to generalise. 360Mb will be plenty for a server.

Choose either the bare /10.0 or the /10.0/server profiles for a server. The difference is in the preset USE flags.
emerge --info will show you the flag settings, so its easy to compare before you emerge anything.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the same problem as Ch00k, for now the VPS will be set up with a 2008.0 image, i don't even know what's in there (it might even have a desktop install). It seems now i have to go through a painful upgrade/clean procedure before i can actually use it.
Are there any howto's on how to create a sane gentoo xen image ? I've searched everywhere but couldn't find a good one.

Best regards,
pa4wdh

My shared code repository: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org
Music, Free as in Freedom: https://www.jamendo.com
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa4wdh,

2008.0 comes with a portage that understands only EAPI-0. Portage depends on python.
The versions of python in the tree now need a portage that understands at least EAPI-1 to emerge.
Such portage versions need a newer version of python so there is a viscious circle there that makes updating from a bare 2008.0 install, or any install that age very difficult.

The solution is to poke about in the attic for old ebuilds and update in several intermediate steps. Its not only portage and python that are affected, there are others too.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
jormartr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently updated gentoo 2007 on two servers. They came with the option to use gentoo, so I choosed it and upgraded.

Not as easy as just a simple emerge world, but it may be done.

NeddySeagoon, do you mean that I may have some kind of inconsistency on them? Everything is up-to-date now. Should this path show any problem some day? Thanks.
ArmorSuit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on a VPS Reply with quote

Ch00k wrote:
I have just purchased a VPS from Linode and intend to install Gentoo on it. One of the preconfigured images they are offering is Gentoo 2008.0. Besides this, there is a possibility to install the whole system from scratch (either install it on a local PC under VirtualBox/VMWare etc., and then transfer it to VPS, or install it on the VPS directly, chrooting). The question is, will there be any difference between the system, upgraded from 2008.0 to stable and the system (stable), built from scratch?
Another question is, which profile is the best to choose for a server?
I also read somewhere that for small amount of RAM (I have 360 Mb with my VPS) it's better to install x86 instead of x64 to have best performance. Is that true?

Create partitions, create a Finnix recovery profile, boot Finnix, mount partitions, download stage3 + portage, perform regular stage3 install (sans the kernel), reboot into Gentoo profile.
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

2008.0 comes with a portage that understands only EAPI-0. Portage depends on python.
The versions of python in the tree now need a portage that understands at least EAPI-1 to emerge.
Such portage versions need a newer version of python so there is a viscious circle there that makes updating from a bare 2008.0 install, or any install that age very difficult.

Thanks for that explanation NeddySeagoon, i understand the problem. How can i know which versions to look out for ? I guess these are the steps to take:
1 Update portage to the highest version which can be done without updating python (hopefully introducing EAPI-1 support)
2 Update python
3 Update portage to the lates and greatest version
4 Update the rest of the system

One other option that just came to mind: I'm not that familiar with EIX, but i understood that that's a C++ implementation of all portage functionality. Since that removes the dependency on python, could that be a way to cleanly update the system ? I'm thinking about this, starting with the clean 2008.0 environment:
1 Install eix
2 sync the tree
3 Update eix (i guess that will give EAPI-1 support), i could even compile it myself if this doesn't work because of EAPI incompatibality
4 Update system
5 Optionally remove eix again

Does that sound like something that could work ?

Best regards,
pa4wdh

NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa4wdh,

The first way you outlined should fix portage and python. There will be other issues too, but thats the right idea.
I only know of EIX - I don't use it so I can't comment.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
pizzahat.info
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Thanks all Reply with quote

Thanks a lot to you. I am looking for these information...
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for your information:
Stacklet has updated their Gentoo images. It's installed on my VPS and it's a very clean image.
http://stacklet.com/downloads/images/lister/Gentoo/2010-0/x86

Best regards,
pa4wdh

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: