Console-like controllers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Console-like controllers Reply with quote

Does anyone know what game controllers work with GNU/Linux?

I'd like to get a cheap console-like controller (just a snes sort of thing would do) to make playing various games a little easier and more fun. I just don't want to buy one to find it doesn't work!

I've done some googling, but all I can find are a very out of date Linux Joystick Driver page (talks about kernels 2.2 and 2.3!) and little else of use.

I'd particularly like to get the Logitech Dual Action gamepad, if anyone has this model...
kapheine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Use an actual console controller Reply with quote

Using the directions in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/input/joystick-parport.txt I've connected a NES and SNES controller to my parallel port. It works great, and it is pretty easy to do.

The other option is the Gravis GamePads that are very similar to playstation controllers. I'm a bit too lazy to find a link, but just check the gravis webpage. I've successfully used their snes-like and playstation-like controllers in linux. The only thing that wasn't supported, if I remember correctly, was being able to use the multiple gravis pads at once feature.
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm, any controllers that work out of the box? I'd rather not go playing with wiring ;)
kapheine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telex4 wrote:
Hmmmmm, any controllers that work out of the box? I'd rather not go playing with wiring ;)

http://www.gravis.com/products/pro_eli_d1021.html

I've tried that one personally, and it works. I can't find the older one that I used to have that works, but this one has more buttons anyway.
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, according to this page, Gravis no longer sell in Europe, and I can't find any in UK stores :( I can find joystick port ones on ebay, but not USB... hmm
cylgalad
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my PSX controller plugged to an USB adapter, it works nicely, though I didn't get any vibrations under Linux yet ;)
I know you can find some adapters for SNES controllers and others (look in the kernel config, there're modules for it).
maxmc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kapheine wrote:
telex4 wrote:

http://www.gravis.com/products/pro_eli_d1021.html

I've tried that one personally, and it works. I can't find the older one that I used to have that works, but this one has more buttons anyway.

I have one of those myself, the Directional pad is worthless, Its freakin hard to press only up or down or left or right without straying to the diagonals.. I'd recoomend anything from saitek or go with that Logitech one..
chizu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My USB Axis Pad works great. And on a PS2 it still works (for most games) in the usb port on the front. Like a playstation controller, but you don't need an adapter to hook it up to a pc. Of course if you have a playstation you might as well save some money and just buy a 10 dollar playstation controller -> usb adapter, those also work great.
I18N
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Logitech cordless rumblepad that works great in linux.. makes tuxracer easier :)
and also a playstation controlpad connected via a usb adapter
both were incredibly easy to set up
the 2.6 kernels actually have explicit support for the rumble functions of the logitech
kapheine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Gravis Grip Reply with quote

Since we are on the subject of joysticks, I was just checking the Linux Gamer's FAQ and saw the following:

Quote:

Q: Is there any way to use the Gravis "Grip" Multiport (4-way gameport)?
A: Sure is, http://members.cox.net/bonnlander/

Just thought someone out there might be interested.
belgarion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with above about PSX/PS2 controllers via USB. xmame even supports this directly. I had a bit of confusion about how to set up js0... but a bit of kernel diving later I had joydev.o modprobed and ready to go :)

I also have an old SpaceOrb 360 in my closet just waiting for me to get a Linux version of Descent3 so I can use it again... I loved that thing for the Descent series... and I see that there's a driver for it... :D
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telex4, to answer your question, pretty much any USB gamepad should correctly work with Linux. It only needs to be HID-compilant.

But since all PC gamepads currently on the market suck, I recommend you get an console controller adaptor. Lik Sang has a good collection. They should all work under Linux too.

Another solution, I you are lucky enough to find one, is the Interact HammerheadFX. Sadly Interact is now dead, but this was the best. controller. ever.
Boricacid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xbox Controllers works with Linux, all you need is either the patch for your 2.4 kernel or a 2.6 kernel.

You can order USB adapters for xbox controllers at liksang.com or codeunderground.com or find instructions on the web on how to do your own.
Decker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a PSX joypad and an USB-adaptor connected to my box. So, how do I set it up?
"modprobe hid" maybe..and then?
I would really like to play some of my snes games on the snes9x emulator, and maybe some mame games. But I have no idea what to do now. The Linux Gamer's FAQ doesn't help me out of this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: