View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrhnhrm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: [solved 2/3] A few minor Xfce issues Reply with quote

So, I've finally managed to successfully install the fundamentals of the Gentoo system on my somewhat uncooperative HP 4515s laptop. The next obvious necessary thing is X and stuff, I've chosen Xfce for a desktop environment and I'm quite happy with it, although there are several things in it yet to perfect.

1. Rendering is somewhat laggish, especially when Xfce's built-in desktop compositing features (windows transparency, shadows and such) are on. Not too slow to cause obvious problems, but it still stabs pain into my eyes. It's not quite what I've expected from a lightweight, performance-oriented desktop environment :? I'm using fglrx driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 and video system seems to work finely. At least, it does some reasonably good FPS in GL screensavers :roll:

2. Sorry, I was inaccurate with original statement of the problem #2 - I thought that taskbar buttons don't flash on Urgency (like, e.g. an inactive chat window's button in taskbar should flash upon a new incoming message). However, upon closer examination I've found out that they DO blink in fact. But no wonder it was so difficult to notice - I can hardly call that "blinking", it's more like slowly and gradually transiting from a pale shadow of gray into a pale shadow of blue, and then backwards. Such phenomenon doesn't really catch too much attention. Oh, and then a solution seems obvious - use a more contrast colour scheme, like xfce4-redmondxp. Such solution will do for me :)

3. Missing icons. Well, a picture is worth a thousand words. http://i50.tinypic.com/25k1x11.jpg

I'd deeply appreciate a few pointers at where to start looking into these issues.

Last edited by Mrhnhrm on Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nerevar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A few minor Xfce issues Reply with quote

Mrhnhrm wrote:
1. Rendering is somewhat laggish, especially when Xfce's built-in desktop compositing features (windows transparency, shadows and such) are on. Not too slow to cause obvious problems, but it still stabs pain into my eyes. It's not quite what I've expected from a lightweight, performance-oriented desktop environment :? I'm using fglrx driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 and video system seems to work finely. At least, it does some reasonably good FPS in GL screensavers :roll:

What are your xorg.conf settings for your videocard device? Have you tried the xf86-video-ati driver?

Mrhnhrm wrote:
3. Missing icons. Well, a picture is worth a thousand words. http://i50.tinypic.com/25k1x11.jpg

Try installing xfce4-icon-theme and if a lot of icons are still missing gnome-icon-theme.

As for #2, I'd be annoyed if my windows started blinking so I have no idea on that one. :)
Mrhnhrm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A few minor Xfce issues Reply with quote

Looks like I've been inaccurate with defining problem #2. I've already solved it, see starting post for details.

Nerevar wrote:
Try installing xfce4-icon-theme and if a lot of icons are still missing gnome-icon-theme.

Done and done, worked like charm :) Thanks a lot :)

Nerevar wrote:
What are your xorg.conf settings for your videocard device? Have you tried the xf86-video-ati driver?

Here goes the xorg.conf http://pastebin.com/m4084112d
Maybe I'll try that driver you suggest a little later.

Thanks for your cooperation so far :)
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icons might be related to whatever theme you have it set to use but I installed these

[IP-] [ ] kde-base/oxygen-icons-4.3.3 (4.3)
[IP-] [ ] x11-misc/icon-naming-utils-0.8.90 (0)
[IP-] [ ] x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme-2.26.0 (0)
[IP-] [ ] x11-themes/hicolor-icon-theme-0.11 (0)
[IP-] [ ] x11-themes/tangerine-icon-theme-0.26 (0)
[IP-] [ ] x11-themes/tango-icon-theme-0.8.90 (0)
[IP-] [ ] x11-themes/tango-icon-theme-extras-0.1.0-r1 (0)
[IP-] [ ~] x11-themes/xfce-gant-icon-theme-3.9_p6 (0)
[IP-] [ ] x11-themes/xfce4-icon-theme-4.4.3 (0)

For the rendering/display check the refresh rate.
Nerevar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a long time since I've used the fglrx driver, but these are the settings I once used:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "VideoCard2"
    BusID      "PCI:1:0:0"
    Driver     "fglrx"
    Option     "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    Option     "TexturedVideo"         "off"
    Option     "UseFastTLS"            "0"
    Option     "VideoOverlay"          "on"
    Option     "OpenGLOverlay"         "off"
EndSection

You'll want to keep your own identifier. You should probably try adding the options one at a time and see if they help or not.
enigma59
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fglrx does not have very good performance with any compositing manager. Resizing a window with compiz on a 5870 is even slow, takes 1-2 seconds to actually change the window.
Nerevar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Thanks for the info enigma59.

Oh, you'll also want to add this section to your xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "enable"
    Option "DAMAGE"    "enable"
    Option "RENDER"    "enable"
EndSection
Mrhnhrm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerevar wrote:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "VideoCard2"
    BusID      "PCI:1:0:0"
    Driver     "fglrx"
    Option     "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    Option     "TexturedVideo"         "off"
    Option     "UseFastTLS"            "0"
    Option     "VideoOverlay"          "on"
    Option     "OpenGLOverlay"         "off"
EndSection

Oh, you'll also want to add this section to your xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "enable"
    Option "DAMAGE"    "enable"
    Option "RENDER"    "enable"
EndSection

Tried those settings, X fails to start at all. Here is a log file from such a failed attempt: http://pastebin.com/m2a217e32
What those options you suggest are supposed to do, anyway? And do they require some specific packages installed, or perhaps, X server built with specific USE flags, or something?

enigma59 wrote:
fglrx does not have very good performance with any compositing manager. Resizing a window with compiz on a 5870 is even slow, takes 1-2 seconds to actually change the window.

That's what I'm dealing with right now. Except for I don't use compiz. And if Xfce's built-in compositing features are turned off, windows resizing is not slow. At least, not slower than other actions.
Nerevar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fglrx driver doesn't even support my card now, so I can't help you much.

Try enabling the options one at a time and see which one is causing the failure. I'd try disabling the Extensions section first.

Here's the manpage describing the options (you might be able to use "man fglrx" as well):
http://debian.wgdd.de/temp/fglrx_man/fglrx.4x.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: