Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Xorg / xf86-video-radeon (X1300 mobility)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
man_jose
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Xorg / xf86-video-radeon (X1300 mobility) Reply with quote

Good afternoon,
I have spent several days trying to resolve my issues with my graphic card. Everything started when ATI/AMD decide to stop supporting my card under linux from their catalyst driver. This will drive my future buying decision without hesitation (in the same manner I won't never buy/recommend a Canon scanner after suffering the 4200F mistake).

After updating the kernel, I had to move to Mesa drivers (impressive work what they are doing with Gallium, by the way). I tried to update to the latest version (my video performance wasn't good enough): Mesa 6.6.1 didn't work. The same happenned with Mesa 7.7. Finally I moved to layman and I am trying Mesa-9999 and a few others -9999 (yes I know this is not the best approach, but here I am).

The problem
1. When I execute "startx", it tries to start X (everything goes black) and it immediately returns to the console without any error messages. It exits with the message: "waiting for X server to shut down".
2. When I execute just "X", it starts X (everything goes black) and it keeps on being like that. It is not frozen (I can switch to other terminals using CTRL+ALT+Fn). I have to press CTRL+ALT+BCKSPC to stop that status. Now it doesn't shows the message "waiting for X server to shut down".
3. Finally, if I execute "X" and I press the Power button on my laptop while the screen is black, the cross representing the mouse position appears and I can even move it in the black screen of death until everything gets shut down.

I have tried with my prior xorg.conf, with a xorg.conf created using "X -configure" and without xorg.conf. The file /var/log/Xorg.0.conf doesn't show any errors. In fact it looks pretty good. I am using XFree DRI in the kernel, the latest DRM, kernel 2.6.32-r1 and KMS.

Any suggestion about what could I try?

Regards,
José M.

Last edited by man_jose on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
man_jose
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Detailing more info Reply with quote

Some details:
1. I boot with the line:
Code:

kernel /kernel-2.6.32-r1 root=/dev/sda2  doscsi video=radeondrmfb splash=verbose radeon.modeset=1

2. The output of my dmesg can be found here:
http://pastebin.com/f4eb95445

3. When I execute startx or just X, this is the /var/log/Xorg.0.log
http://pastebin.com/f7baec476

4. Finally this is the output of emerge --info:
http://pastebin.com/f28ef8e82

Thanks in advance,
José M.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems that you problem might be caused by wrong input configuration in xorg.conf, from the log I'm deducing that you are using xserver with hal flag but defining the input via xorg and not hal, first, migrate to the hal method or diable hal (see the sticky) then if it isn't working, try to disable kms.
Vorlon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had all kinds of problems with ATI cards, especially with on-board cards. I've also had the "black screen" problem, but was never able to solve it. This has happened on 2 recent motherboards with fairly recent radeon chips.

My solution was to give up and buy an nVidia-based card and use the binary driver. I would much prefer to use the open source ATI systems, but they just didn't work for me in my last 2 new computers.
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a weird question, but did you install a window manager?
Vorlon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, usually KDE, but I always start slowly and install X first. Once I know X is working, I proceed with KDE (or sometimes LXDE or XFCE)
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I asked is I saw a couple of posts that said that X no longer came with a default window manager.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same chipset in my Thinkpad T60 and kernel modesetting does not work. I recommend that you disable it. You may want to disable the framebuffer too, as Xorg sometimes dislikes it.
man_jose
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Long life to Gentoo Reply with quote

Right now the issue looks SOLVED and this is the reason why I keep on trusting on Gentoo.

Which was the problem
People use Gentoo for different reasons. In my case, I liked Gentoo because it avoids the need for a reinstall each year to be able to keep up with things like Gnome or KDE (my former distributions always complaint about missing libraries after a year or so). My installation is now about 3-4yo (I was completely new to Gentoo). Besides, I don't do this for a living, so my knowledge about Gentoo is not that big.

As a result, I have used the same computer for many stuff: sci, www, games, ... in different phases of my life. I have screw it up a few times, always being able to resolve the situation.

So my installation is mix of stable/not stable packages and probably, if some of the veterans analyze it would think... "Oh my God!"

Solution
I did (I would better say I'm doing) an emerge world:
Code:

emerge -avuND world

This is showing me many blockers and other issues. I am dealing with them via:
Code:

/etc/make.conf
/etc/portage/packages.keywords
/etc/portage/packages.use

And using the tool autounmask were needed.

Finally don't forget to execute etc-update, I learnt that after a problem I had with OpenRC.

Situation
Currently the desktop is able to start with my beloved gnome. (I started as a KDE user).

I know this solution is far from being a step by step guide, but I guess is the more didactic one for those who as me, are learning through its own mistakes who to deal properly with Gentoo. I guess this is better than giving you the whole list of installed libraries that shouldn't be in the same system (my mistakes won't be for sure the same as yours).

Cheers and thanks for the answers.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick question, have you disabled kernel modesetting?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: