View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sepp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: mplayer and metacity - detail error message Reply with quote

this is what metacity says:

Window manager warning: Window 0x800019 (MPlayer) sets an MWM hint indicating it isn't resizable, but sets min size 1 x 1 and max size 440 x 120; this doesn't make much sense.
lucida
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I get:

Window manager warning: Window 0x3800001 (MPlayer) sets an MWM hint indicating it isn't resizable, but sets min size 1 x 1 and max size 2147483647 x 2147483647; this doesn't make much sense.

But everything works find, mplayer 1.0_pre1+metacity 2.5.5
zbert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How embarrasing! :oops:

When I submitted my post, nothing was happening on the screen. The browser was just timing out and never moved from the submit screen. So I tried a couple of times. :lol:

As you can probably tell, I'm a noob at Gentoo and Portage but learning fast. Don't hold it against me.
SlCKB0Y
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARENA wrote:
Anyone noticed an (to me) annoying thingy came back to panel: when you click something, it gets an 'non-walking ants' (also known as 'dashed') line around it and it won't disappear. It had been gone for a long time, but it seems it's back. Might be GTK+ related, I don't know. It's ugly, though, I think.

Ummm, I dont know what version of 2.2 you were using but mine has had this occuring for as long as i care to remember.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A semi-stupid question that I should proably already know but don't...

Apart from the "breakme" flag, are there any other USE flags that BMG ebuilds can use (aside from normal Gentoo USE flags, that is :p)?

Also, is there anywhere that lists the features gained by using the special USE flags? I tried looking at the BMG site, but I couldn't find anything. Knowing me though, I'm just stupid and missed that one all important link :).
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
A semi-stupid question that I should proably already know but don't...

Apart from the "breakme" flag, are there any other USE flags that BMG ebuilds can use (aside from normal Gentoo USE flags, that is :p)?

Also, is there anywhere that lists the features gained by using the special USE flags? I tried looking at the BMG site, but I couldn't find anything. Knowing me though, I'm just stupid and missed that one all important link :).

Nothing besides the regular use flags - breakme is the only flag that is special to BMG ebuilds.
Nylle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulisdead wrote:
Has anyone else been having problems with drawers and autohiding the panel. When I have the panel set to autohide, and I hover the mouse over, all the drawers open, but as soon as I move the mouse over a drawer menu, it'll hide the panel before I can click anything. Drawers have always been a favorite feature of mine, in Gnome, shame they don't work right for me.

I don't use drawers, but I know there has been problems with them earlier in the 2.3.x series.
invaderzim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you make a portage server so we can just automatically download all the BMG ebuilds when syncing? I hate manually downloading everything and fighting with crap to get it to work.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invaderzim wrote:
Can't you make a portage server so we can just automatically download all the BMG ebuilds when syncing? I hate manually downloading everything and fighting with crap to get it to work.

Our bandwidth and server ressources are donated - rsync puts an awful pressure on any CPU - it simply wouldn't be fair.

Besides grow up - automating the download wouldn't make the problems go away - those are inherent to the way we are forced to work. The linc issues fx. are a portage weakness.

If you hate it so much then you are most welcome not to use the ebuilds you offer you.
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invaderzim wrote:

It wouldn't be necassary to have wholly different servers for breakme sources. Portage could be made with a new keyword command to use a breakme portage tree. It couid be something like

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86-breakme"

Thing is, there really aren't enough ebuilds at breakmygentoo to make a whole different portage tree. Maybe sometime in the future something like this could happen. It would be great to have a really experimental portage tree again.
MrF
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making progress with my issues. I backed off my CFLAGS (with GCC3.3.1) and re-emerged libxml2. Now I'm not getting the garbled preference dialogs, or the error messages when emerging metacity. The Themes dialog is still giving me issues thou....
swat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sepp: the metacity/mplayer crashing problem is getting really annoying particularly as i sent off a bug report: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=116923 and it has been "fixed".

I've tried lowering optimisations and such but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Interesting this only happens when GUI is enabled.

Simon
swat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've reopened my bug:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=116923

Can everyone who is having problems please get backtraces and stuff sorted so we can get this fixed for gnome 2.4! :)

Simon
Achilles
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, this messed up my system :(. I tried emerging it and after a while it tried to compile a new xfree but errored out on some later gnome app.

This is weird though: the xfree it compiled didnt make much of anything, and now my startx and other libs are missing.

To fix this I tried compiling my own xfree, but the same thing happened... no startx.

I tried to go back to my previous version of gnome (2.2.2), but now it always errors out with something like "No package 'gtk+-2.0' found" and "Library requirement (gtk+-2.0 >=2.20 gconf-2.0 ...etc ) not found".

I know I have gtk installed...

Does anyone know what to do? I'm lost :(
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Achilles wrote:
Does anyone know what to do? I'm lost :(

Personally, I would first try a "revdep-rebuild" and see what that did. If that didn't work, I'd try an "emerge -e world" followed by "dispatch-conf" and see if that worked.

If it didn't, I'd reinstall Gentoo. But that's just me! :P There's a few config files you might want to remove in case there are Gnome 2.4 specifics hiding in there - mainly anything that looks gnome-related in your home folder (things like /home/{username}/.gnome, /home/{username}/.gnome2 et cetera). These will be regenerated if they aren't found, but you'll have a job getting your desktop set up the way it was before again.
dcstimm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, I am so sick of missing Messages in GAIM, and I think gnome-panel should flash if we get a IM message. Like in windows....

Can anyone try getting these patches to work with gnome 2.4 beta? I can get it to work with 2.2, but not 2.3+

thanks for any help...

here is the link

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mse5q/blink/
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding GAIM, am I the only one stupid who can only use tabbed IM windows anymore, even if that option is left unchecked?
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to congratulate the BMG team on a job well done -- 2.4_rc1 looks and feel great, and compilation was relatively painless.

Some niggles:

* There's no reason for net-libs/linc to be blocked, esp. because it's used by "killer apps" like epiphany and evolution. I emerged it after the fact, and everything seems to work fine. Am I missing something?

* x11-libs/vte doesn't like "-march=pentium4" when using GCC 3.2.3; "-march=pentium3" works fine, however.

Again, great work!
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
I'd like to congratulate the BMG team on a job well done -- 2.4_rc1 looks and feel great, and compilation was relatively painless.

Some niggles:

* There's no reason for net-libs/linc to be blocked, esp. because it's used by "killer apps" like epiphany and evolution. I emerged it after the fact, and everything seems to work fine. Am I missing something?

* x11-libs/vte doesn't like "-march=pentium4" when using GCC 3.2.3; "-march=pentium3" works fine, however.

Again, great work!

1) linc is provided by ORBit2 - if you had read the many threads or search you would have known that is why it is blocked.... do you homework, I'm sick and tired of answering this question !
Lin-Matt could we do something like the xd2 ebuilds "I-WILL-NOT-ASK-ABOUT-LINC-NOR-BONOBOACTIVATION" must be added to the use flags before we allow emerging ?

2) Known GCC bug -march=pentium4 is generally fucked - use GCC 3.3.1, the 3.2 series has been discontinued. - this you would also have know if you searched before asking.
Verteron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcstimm wrote:
hey guys, I am so sick of missing Messages in GAIM, and I think gnome-panel should flash if we get a IM message. Like in windows....

There's an option for that (well, it doesn't flash the panel but it does flash the tray icon...).
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
1) linc is provided by ORBit2 - [....]

Yes, but binaries linked against ORBit2-2.4+linc-1.0 will not barf with ORBit-2.8+linc-1.0 despite this -- ORBit-2.8 provides linc-2.0, not linc-1.0. Eventually, apps will be recompiled and exploit the linc-2.0 (or "link") API provided by >=ORBit-2.8, and linc-1.0 will fade away; for now, it's deprecated, but harmless.

Very few apps have a direct dependence on linc. The easiest way to upgrade is just rebuild ORBit2 and libgda, and then all the apps listed by "qpkg -q ORBit2" and "qpkg -q libgda".

Like I said, it's a niggle -- a policy decision on how to handle the deprecation of linc-1.0 in your ebuild architecture, if at all.

Quote:
if you had read the many threads or search you would have known that is why it is blocked.... do you homework, I'm sick and tired of answering this question !
Lin-Matt could we do something like the xd2 ebuilds "I-WILL-NOT-ASK-ABOUT-LINC-NOR-BONOBOACTIVATION" must be added to the use flags before we allow emerging ?

If you don't want to answer a question, ignore it; the forum moderators can step in if necessary.

Quote:
2) Known GCC bug -march=pentium4 is generally fucked - use GCC 3.3.1, the 3.2 series has been discontinued. - this you would also have know if you searched before asking.

This is FYI, in case you want to use the "replace-flags" macro from the "flag-o-matic" eclass for that ebuild. I mention it because bleeding edge users do use "-march=pentium4", since the great majority of packages don't complain.

In any case, thanks for the hard work, and I look forward to testing BMG GNOME releases as they come out.
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grr.. Metacity is getting on my nerves..

Does anyone now of a patch or workaround to get window-manager metacity to raise a window when clicking ANYWHERE in it? (not just the titlebar)

I believe this was turned off because of some internal rearranging of metacity structure, but it is really bothering me. Is there actually a solid reason the choice isn't offered, even thru GConf?

Also the breakme patches don't seem to work on the recent metacity versions, is this correct?
Sohryu Asuka Langley
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerging it right now... i'm really excited...

Ah.. One question ! Will my actual Gnome 2.2 be unmerged automatically at the end of the merge process... 8O

Cause i am merging the whole thing under gnome !!
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freak_NL wrote:
Does anyone now of a patch or workaround to get window-manager metacity to raise a window when clicking ANYWHERE in it? (not just the titlebar)

Try this:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=115753

Let me know how it works.
bluz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Gnome 2.4rc1 Reply with quote

I just installed Gnome 2.4 Rc1.

I have to say, usually when I upgrade a peice of software a major release in Linux I'm usually giddy with all the nice little changes I find. Not really so much this time. 2.4 looks, to me, like an incremental release that has cleaned things up. Not a major overhaul.

One of the first things I did was check the properties of an icon on my desktop to see if it would let me edit it through a graphical interface.. nope ;(

Oh well... It's still nice *sniff*
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: