View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daganoth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome 2.4rc1 Reply with quote

bluz wrote:
I just installed Gnome 2.4 Rc1.

I have to say, usually when I upgrade a peice of software a major release in Linux I'm usually giddy with all the nice little changes I find. Not really so much this time. 2.4 looks, to me, like an incremental release that has cleaned things up. Not a major overhaul.

One of the first things I did was check the properties of an icon on my desktop to see if it would let me edit it through a graphical interface.. nope ;(

Oh well... It's still nice *sniff*

2.4 is a "major" release as 2.2 was over 2.0 i.e. Not that major. Also, different packages were changed in different degrees. Seems like gnome-terminal wasn't touched, but gnome-panel basically had a overhaul.

But since you mentioned disappointments, I heard talk about a nautilus option that allowed you to hide files and folders without renaming them. Dosen't seem to be there, so my evolution folder sits ominously in my home folder. 8O
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:

Yes, but binaries linked against ORBit2-2.4+linc-1.0 will not barf with ORBit-2.8+linc-1.0 despite this -- ORBit-2.8 provides linc-2.0, not linc-1.0. Eventually, apps will be recompiled and exploit the linc-2.0 (or "link") API provided by >=ORBit-2.8, and linc-1.0 will fade away; for now, it's deprecated, but harmless.

Very few apps have a direct dependence on linc. The easiest way to upgrade is just rebuild ORBit2 and libgda, and then all the apps listed by "qpkg -q ORBit2" and "qpkg -q libgda".

Like I said, it's a niggle -- a policy decision on how to handle the deprecation of linc-1.0 in your ebuild architecture, if at all.

When the decision was made by the respective devs to deprecate linc and bonobo-activation I was in contact with them and made the decision to block accordingly. Both libraries are now old news and everything will have to be recompiled eventually, so why not now?

Quote:

If you don't want to answer a question, ignore it; the forum moderators can step in if necessary.

Problem here is that this question has been asked and answered several times on the forums and a simple search would have done the trick...

Quote:

This is FYI, in case you want to use the "replace-flags" macro from the "flag-o-matic" eclass for that ebuild. I mention it because bleeding edge users do use "-march=pentium4", since the great majority of packages don't complain.

I've been running these packages on a -march=pentium4 system and haven't noticed a problem with vte. If you could open a bug on http://bugs.breakmygentoo.net and post the error output it would be helpful.

Quote:

In any case, thanks for the hard work, and I look forward to testing BMG GNOME releases as they come out.

Glad you are getting some usage out of the builds...

Lovechild
As tempting as it may be, I'm not a big fan of that USE flag idea. Maybe setting up a WIKI or something would do more good in the long term....

Daganoth
Create a file named .hidden in your root directory with all the files/directories you want nautilus to ignore...
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lin-matt:

I disagree - a wiki will not FORCE the user to read it, a USE flag will FORCE people to take notice of the massive amounts of reports we have gotten about this idiotic problem.
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos: That patch seems to apply to the versions of metacity prior to the switch to not raising the window on click, but I'll see if it is possible to do anything about it.

Lovechild & Lin_Matt: How about a quick linc-fix-mini-HOWTO and make every BMG Gnome devel ebuild user promise to link to it in his/her signature? :)

Well, the part about the mini-HOWTO at least seems fair enough.
sisob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome 2.4rc1 Reply with quote

Daganoth wrote:
But since you mentioned disappointments, I heard talk about a nautilus option that allowed you to hide files and folders without renaming them. Dosen't seem to be there, so my evolution folder sits ominously in my home folder. 8O

Code:
echo "evolution" > ~/.hidden

The feature is there - just not in the ui
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, the .hidden thing is good. Funny to see everyone hiding their Evolution folder here. :P

Okay.. Metacity:

This bug-thread is giving me headaches.. There are some valid arguments on why the default setting should be what it is now, i.e. only raise on border or titlebar click. Fine.

But I cannot fathom why there should not be a GConf key for the poweruser who actually LIKES to raise windows by clicking ANYWHERE and who does not get confused when, and I quote yonder buglist:

Quote:
I don't think this should be an option; the default should be fixed.
Raising a window on any click is hugely limiting for all users, and
confusing ("I clicked in Word and my calculator disappeared!").

..which applies to, well, me at least..

Dunno, I'm probably missing something in the bigger picture or something like that..
Daganoth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lin_Matt, Sisob...I was wondering where that feature ran off to. :D
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the "gnome-remote-shell" working for anyone? It just blinks a term and then disappears here..
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
lin-matt:

I disagree - a wiki will not FORCE the user to read it, a USE flag will FORCE people to take notice of the massive amounts of reports we have gotten about this idiotic problem.

While this is true, the extra USE flag will just mean more "I can't emerge GNOME" questions popping up... There's really no way to completely fix this, tho I do think Freak_NL's suggestion would be a good thing. If someone can make the FAQ I'll put in on the site (with credits of course) and link it in red from my sig.... ;)
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freak_NL wrote:
Hypnos: That patch seems to apply to the versions of metacity prior to the switch to not raising the window on click, but I'll see if it is possible to do anything about it.

Lovechild & Lin_Matt: How about a quick linc-fix-mini-HOWTO and make every BMG Gnome devel ebuild user promise to link to it in his/her signature? :)

I like this idea better.

Once you emerge the ebuilds you sign an agreement that allow me to sell your addy along with a greencard to kick you repeatedly in the groin areas - that is anyone I see fit, like the local bikergang - or full contact karate club.

I still dislike your idea - it does not seem radical enough, even after we repeatedly asked users NOT to post bug reports to Gentoo's bugzilla I found with a quick browsing yesterday that several IDIOTS had done so... despite warnings and treats of violence and bodily harm.
geek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is the "gnome-remote-shell" working for anyone? It just blinks a term and then disappears here..

Nope, I compile BMG gnome-current nightly on two machines, weekly on another, and this feature hasn't worked for me yet. Everything else has been great though. I'd like to thank the Break My Gentoo guys for all their hard work on this awesome project.
fusibou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
Freak_NL wrote:

I like this idea better.

Once you emerge the ebuilds you sign an agreement that allow me to sell your addy along with a greencard to kick you repeatedly in the groin areas - that is anyone I see fit, like the local bikergang - or full contact karate club.

I still dislike your idea - it does not seem radical enough, even after we repeatedly asked users NOT to post bug reports to Gentoo's bugzilla I found with a quick browsing yesterday that several IDIOTS had done so... despite warnings and treats of violence and bodily harm.

I wouldn't bother with this message but this has gone on for quite a while and it is completely at odds with the general tenor of the Gentoo community.

Lovechild, if it's so painful for you to do this, maybe you'd save yourself a lot of grief by not doing it anymore? Calling people idiots and morons just isn't productive regardless of your level of frustration. It's "pissing in the well" because you're abusing the very people who are trying to do more with Linux. Those people are a valuable (and rare) resource.

Nastiness is also an indication of arrogance and self-righteousness. I should know because I am EXACTLY the same way which is why I left the service industry and am now a whole lot happier recognizing how insignificant I really am and how much a shrug saves me from the waste of energy and damage to human relations that comes from spitting vitriol.

Anger and criticism accomplishes nothing but stress and bitterness for you and self-defensiveness on the part of your victims. I've read Dale Carnegie's "How to win friends and influence people" several times and I highly recommend it. Distilled: criticism never works; positive reinforcement combined with showing how doing things right is mutually beneficial works wonders.

Why not simply make a "stickie" mini howto? Or ignore the questions? Or paste in a "form reply" that is more reasonably-worded and points to a howto? Or quit? It would certainly focus everyone on the more positive aspects of testing software than the destructive aspects of personal attacks. It's a waste of energy that the anonymity of the Internet seems to encourage.
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-oh. Looks like the devs might be sick of gnome 2.4 bug reports or something. I emerge rsync'd this morning, and the whole first chunk of package.mask was dedicated to masking gnome 2.4. We'll probably find out the reason why in the GWN tomorrow, if not sooner here.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulisdead wrote:
Uh-oh. Looks like the devs might be sick of gnome 2.4 bug reports or something. I emerge rsync'd this morning, and the whole first chunk of package.mask was dedicated to masking gnome 2.4. We'll probably find out the reason why in the GWN tomorrow, if not sooner here.

Nope, probably his foserness getting ready for the release of GNOME 2.4 final... I highly doubt any dev would have the balls to mask out ebuilds with the only purpose to annoy the BMG team and the users of BMG ebuilds...
Sohryu Asuka Langley
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running it right now... It feels really SLICK !! :twisted: :D :lol:
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin_Matt wrote:
When the decision was made by the respective devs to deprecate linc and bonobo-activation I was in contact with them and made the decision to block accordingly. Both libraries are now old news and everything will have to be recompiled eventually, so why not now?

Because it's painful and time consuming; of course, if you consider the dev ebuilds to be a ramp up towards the final release, rather than simply something to try out, I can appreciate the policy.

Quote:
Problem here is that this question has been asked and answered several times on the forums and a simple search would have done the trick...

Well, it wouldn't have answered my deeper "why" question; the shallower "why" answer I surmised already. I think Lovechild's reaction was too strong for my offense, but understandable in light of past frustration.

Quote:
I've been running these packages on a -march=pentium4 system and haven't noticed a problem with vte. If you could open a bug on http://bugs.breakmygentoo.net and post the error output it would be helpful.

Done.

Quote:
Glad you are getting some usage out of the builds...

Well, I like to contribute to GNOME development, and that entails using development releases. Also, I agree with others that it "feels" crisper. Thanks again ...
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that SVG is now not quite so pathetically sluggish.

Anyway, FAO: Lovechild / Matt - what's wrong with "einfo"? And "pause"? If you put a ten-second delay in, plenty of beeps, and an explicit warning that bug reports relating to BMG ebuilds must NOT be posted on bugs.gentoo.org, most people will read it. This could also be added to the top of the BMG ebuilds page. A sticky mini-HOW-TO would be good as well, although I don't think that would be quite so effective as either of the other two suggestions.

I'm giving some thought to writing a script (well, sort of a script) relating to BMG. The idea? It should parse the BMG ebuilds page in order to create a (console-based) menu, allowing you to select which ebuilds you would like downloaded. It would then call wget to grab the relevant ebuilds and save an automatically generated script in relevant cron.* directories, which would allow, for example, automatic daily updating of gnome-current builds whilst only doing a build of mozilla-thunderbird-cvs every week (any chance of getting that on the site, guys?! Please...). Anyway, the general idea is a (possibly ncurses-based, although I'd have to learn it) BMG UI. But, before I do that - would anyone actually be interested in such a thing? Also, if I do go ahead with it, what other features would they like to see?

I realise this is probably a touch OT, but I don't care as it's 2:42AM where I am, so there! :P
maxmc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circular dependency???

Code:
k27 gnome # emerge gnome-2.4_rc1-r31.ebuild
Calculating dependencies |
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy ">=gnome-base/nautilus-2.3.90" have been masked.
!!!    (dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-2.4_rc1-r31" [ebuild])

!!! Error calculating dependencies. Please correct.
k27 gnome # emerge ../nautilus/nautilus-2.3.90.ebuild
Calculating dependencies \
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy ">=gnome-extra/nautilus-cd-burner-0.5.2" have been masked.

k27 nautilus-cd-burner # emerge nautilus-cd-burner-0.5.2.ebuild
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy ">=gnome-base/nautilus-2.3.90" have been masked.
!!!    (dependency required by "gnome-extra/nautilus-cd-burner-0.5.2" [ebuild])

How am I supposed to build nautilus? How did you guys get past this?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People will see LOTS of problems now - that nor I or the BMG team can do anything about, Foser has included GNOME 2.4RC1 in portage.

Feel free to bug Foser and the GENTOO devs from now on... of course you would have to use the Portage ebuilds to do so..
damen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robmoss2k wrote:
I like the fact that SVG is now not quite so pathetically sluggish.

I'm giving some thought to writing a script (well, sort of a script) relating to BMG. [...] Anyway, the general idea is a (possibly ncurses-based, although I'd have to learn it) BMG UI. But, before I do that - would anyone actually be interested in such a thing? Also, if I do go ahead with it, what other features would they like to see?

Oh Yes, something like that would be very nice. But you will get into some problem, because if it is so easy to use the "dangerous" ebuilds from BMG, than the whole Problem Lovechild and Lin_Matt described will become even bigger, everybody will get development realeases with a little .setup ... like running beta MS Software...

Just my 2 cents, Martijn
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metacity puzzles me..

In the source there is a conditional statement that decides wether or not to raise the window on receiving a click. This statement (in display.c somewhere around line 1300) is only reached if the click was NOT on the frame of the window, that is handled elsewhere (frames.c I gather). The window always gets raised when clicking the frame.

case 1: If metacity is in click-to-raise-but-not-focus-window-on-mouseover mode, that works, and the window gets raised.

case 2: If metacity is in focus-on-mouseover-and-click-frame-to-raise mode, the window doesn't raise when clicking inside the window. Also correct.

Now that if statement isn't complicated, in case 1 it is:

window raise
debug message
tell other code that a click occurred

And case 2:

debug message
tell other code that a click occurred

So I added "window raise" at the top of case 2. That didn't do anything.. Either that, or "killall metacity && metacity" doesn't load my new metacity.

Weird.
snutte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about installing it. But im waiting for the full realease. Im probably not a real man. (LoveChild knows). ;)
Cyrana
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited the nautilus .ebuild files so they don't check for the cd-burner component. I also think it might be used with either the breakme or cdr USE flags, I don't remember.

I also so something about nautilius-cd-burner in the packages.mask file somewhere.
maxmc wrote:
Circular dependency???

Code:
k27 gnome # emerge gnome-2.4_rc1-r31.ebuild
Calculating dependencies |
!!!    (dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-2.4_rc1-r31" [ebuild])

k27 gnome # emerge ../nautilus/nautilus-2.3.90.ebuild
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy ">=gnome-extra/nautilus-cd-burner-0.5.2" have been masked.

k27 nautilus-cd-burner # emerge nautilus-cd-burner-0.5.2.ebuild
!!!    (dependency required by "gnome-extra/nautilus-cd-burner-0.5.2" [ebuild])

How am I supposed to build nautilus? How did you guys get past this?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snutte wrote:
Thinking about installing it. But im waiting for the full realease. Im probably not a real man. (LoveChild knows). ;)

it's Lovechild.... now say you're sorry, and maybe I'll forgive you he-bitch :)
maxmc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone experiencing gedit crashes? mine doesn't want to start it crashes instantly... is it something with me using Gorilla?
Code:
/usr/share/themes/Gorilla/gtk-2.0/iconrc:175: error: invalid string constant "gorilla-default", expected valid string constant
gedit: art_render_gradient.c:342: art_render_gradient_linear_render_8: Försäkran "fabs (offset_fraction - stops[ix].offset) > 1e-6 || (d_offset <= 0.0)" falsk.
/usr/share/themes/Gorilla/gtk-2.0/iconrc:175: error: invalid string constant "gorilla-default", expected valid string constant

Hmm it seems like it... I switched to Industrial and now it works...
Where do I report this?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: