View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: GNOME Desktop 2.4 RC 1: "Kublai" out!! Reply with quote

Less than a week after the big beta2 release we now have a release candidate out! The ebuilds are at breakmygentoo.net, bugs on bugs.gentoo bad, search before posting, etc... ;)

Announcement
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been upgrading to each prerelease of gnome and have what may seem like a strange question. Do I have to reboot after upgrading to gnome?

I know, i know. I have gotten really used to never rebooting for anything short of a new kernel, but I was severely disappionted in the whackyness of gnome beta 2 until I happened to reboot. Then it ran like a dream.

Does anyone know what the deal is with shared libraries that are in use and are then upgraded? Does anyone know why this may have happened. I was actually logged into the desktop while I was upgrading.. Thanks for the help.
Superduck
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjimmy42 wrote:
I have been upgrading to each prerelease of gnome and have what may seem like a strange question. Do I have to reboot after upgrading to gnome?

I know, i know. I have gotten really used to never rebooting for anything short of a new kernel, but I was severely disappionted in the whackyness of gnome beta 2 until I happened to reboot. Then it ran like a dream.

Does anyone know what the deal is with shared libraries that are in use and are then upgraded? Does anyone know why this may have happened. I was actually logged into the desktop while I was upgrading.. Thanks for the help.

If you really want to make sure you're running the latest version of all:

log in console alt+ctrl+f1 and then log in and kill X and gdm. Then start gdm as root again. That way you won't have to reboot (naughty boy :))
Superduck
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I normally do is just keep running and then when I eventually reboot (hey it's a laptop) I get the latest version. I don't have any problems with running gnome after upgrading some of the packages, everything is just smooth. But the log in console trick is also useful if you want to test without rebooting.
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you don't have to go thru killing gdm... GDM reloads X and it's self whenever you logout (or should anyway). The problem comes in when there's an upgrade to gconf, ORBit2 or libbonobo and is especially bad if you are running evolution. I just always logout, drop to a console and kill all stray gconfd, bonobo-activation and any evolution processes...
patseguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't emerge it at all. Here is what I get...

Calculating dependencies -
emerge: there are no masked or unmasked ebuilds to satisfy ">=dev-libs/libxml2-2.5.10".

Any suggestions?
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$ ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~x86' emerge -p \>=libxml2-2.5

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild U ] dev-libs/libxml2-2.5.10 [2.5.8]

Have you synched recently? That version might have gotten released recently. ;)
patseguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just synced and now when I try to emerge gnome 2.4rc1, I get a message that libxml2.5.10 is masked. I don't see an entry for it in the profile though...
Goalie_Ca
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using breakmygentoo 2.4 ebuilds for a while. At first gnome was a little buggy, but now its beautiful. Gnome rules!!!
Sequentious
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get gdm to work in graphical mode. Is anybody else having problems with this?

(Believe me, this is mission critical :)
Lowspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flawless emerge, I really like those :wink:

Still got this notification area bug though at startup, where it takes my panel an extra minute or two to load completely due to some hickup in that applet, cause when I remove it everything loads just fine.

Anyone else had this?
NightMonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, all you need to do is this to really reset Gnome/X:

1. Log out of your GNOME session
2. Switch to a Virtual TTY (Alt-F2)
3. Login as your user ID, then,
4. su -
5. /etc/init.d/xdm stop
6. /etc/init.d/xfs stop (if you use xfs as your font server)
7. /etc/init.d/xdm start (it will start xfs as a service dependency)
8. Log into GNOME.
9. (optional) Switch to back to the vtty you logged into and logout.
10. Have a beer/coffee/coke/etc. You earned it.

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace at will kill and restart X/GNOME, but might not get all the gconfs and definitely won't restart xfs, which is sometimes a good idea. That's it. Hope that helps.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth mentioning - gtk+ 2.2.4 is out there was a serious bug in gtktreeview that caused major breakage so 2.2.4 was released to combat this.
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see..

Quote:

Kublai Khan

His grandfather Ghengis Khan is remembered as a fierce warrior, but Kublai Khan is better known for organizing and ruling the China which his relatives conquered. Kublai Khan centralized taxes and administration, improved agriculture, and established a famously splendid court at Cambaluc (now Beijing). He also welcomed foreign traders, including the traveller Marco Polo. He was immortalized in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's 1816 poem Kubla Khan, which begins "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure-dome decree."

Sayeth Google. What's with the Mongol warlord theme lately?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freak_NL wrote:
Lets see..

Quote:

Kublai Khan

His grandfather Ghengis Khan is remembered as a fierce warrior, but Kublai Khan is better known for organizing and ruling the China which his relatives conquered. Kublai Khan centralized taxes and administration, improved agriculture, and established a famously splendid court at Cambaluc (now Beijing). He also welcomed foreign traders, including the traveller Marco Polo. He was immortalized in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's 1816 poem Kubla Khan, which begins "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure-dome decree."

Sayeth Google. What's with the Mongol warlord theme lately?

I'm guessing they are saving the Viking names for 2.6 which will rock harder ?
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowspirit wrote:
Flawless emerge, I really like those :wink:

Still got this notification area bug though at startup, where it takes my panel an extra minute or two to load completely due to some hickup in that applet, cause when I remove it everything loads just fine.

Anyone else had this?

I know this isn't helpful, but I've seen the same thing. At least we're not crazy? .... Right?
muthax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it's safe to emerge RC1 while running beta2? I mean, without getting out of Gnome first. Won't complain for libraries or other elements of Gnome that are in use?

cheers
Verteron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE works for me. This kills the running X server and the GDM process will start a new one (you'll be presented with the login prompt after a few seconds).
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muthax wrote:
Do you think it's safe to emerge RC1 while running beta2? I mean, without getting out of Gnome first. Won't complain for libraries or other elements of Gnome that are in use?

cheers

nah, its all loaded into memory.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i be the devil advocate for two seconds.... or make of fool of myself ;)

Is "breakmygentoo" replacing the unstable branch of Gentoo portage or what ?

I mean Gnome 2.4-rc1 is out there but official portage tree remains at Gnome-2.2.2 (even unstable). I was expecting at least an official unstable release between. We are few days away from Gnome-2.4 release so I am wondering if ebuild for it will be the ones from breakmygentoo ?
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, that would be some interesting well-deserved praise for the BreakMyGentoo crew. :)

I don't think the "breakme" patches would remain though. :P

In that respect, I hope (expect) BreakMyGentoo will maintain a stable 2.4 ebuild aswell, with the patches. Of course that is only to keep us happy until 2.5.1.. 8)
lucida
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the "breakme" patches are great. The gtk file-selector/menu shadow, and the nautilus spring-loaded folder patches make such a big diff. in gnome, they rox...Hope they could merge into the official portage tree.
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
Also worth mentioning - gtk+ 2.2.4 is out there was a serious bug in gtktreeview that caused major breakage so 2.2.4 was released to combat this.

Thanks for the prod dude... I saw this yesterday and promptly forgot all about it... :oops:
I've got it updated in the -current and -2.4-rc1 tarballs but I had to drop the smooth scrolling patch since it won't apply cleanly. I'm sure it just needs a little touchup work, but I don't have time to fsck with it atm. If anyone wants to get the patch working I'll be happy to include it again...

As far as the portage vs bmg thing goes... I've had several conversations with Foser and the agreement(?) we came was that BMG would continue to keep up with the gnome development series up to the point that it gets incorporated into the official tree. Now I haven't spoken to devs in a month or two, but at this point I would be very surprised to see a new version of gnome in the tree till 2.4.0 final is out.

Once this does make it into portage we won't be maintaining complete tarballs like we have now, rather just the ebuilds with the fun patches we've all come to know and love... At least until the next dev series starts hitting the servers... ;)
fizz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt notice any diffrent except the splash and a few more ooptions upgrading from 2.4 beta2 to rc1, but runs awesome!
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Lovechild for the info... It's not that working with bmg ebuilds is hard, but the ability to test beta version just by adding a `~x86' keyword is/was cool with emerge. The fact that you have to download manually ebuilds and install them makes it look like the old way of doing things you know (tarballs, ./configure, make, make install)... ;) I know the final version will be in portage.

Anyway, I tried the bmg ebuild for rc1 but it did not show gpdf when i tried a "emerge -p", even though it is in the tarball. Am I missing a flag to have it installed ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: