View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunkirk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Can't unmount CD that was in the drive at startup Reply with quote

If I leave a CD in a drive when I reboot (from playing games in Windows), I get the following error message in Gnome when I try to right-click and eject the CD:

device to unmount is not in /media/.hal-mtab so it is not mounted by hal

I just recently rebuilt two desktops, and they're both exhibiting this behavior. I've found all sorts of ideas about this all over the web, but nothing is fixing this. I've added my account to any likely-looking groups, and I've found the "nautilus" use flag for gnome-mount.

All of this is just spitting in the wind, though. Like the error message says, hal isn't mounting this, so it can't unmount it. What I don't understand is WHAT is mounting this during boot. I thought it might be ivman, so I tried removing it, but then I can never get automatic mounting of the CD. I don't know what else it could be.

I hesitate in saying that this is an actual bug, but that's what it's starting to feel like.

dkrider@workstation ~ $ emerge --info
Portage 2.1.6.13 (default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop, gcc-4.3.4, glibc-2.9_p20081201-r2, 2.6.31-gentoo-r6 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-2.6.31-gentoo-r6-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_Duo_CPU_E6550_@_2.33GHz-with-gentoo-2.0.1
Timestamp of tree: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:30:01 +0000
app-shells/bash: 4.0_p35
dev-java/java-config: 2.1.9-r2
dev-lang/python: 2.6.4
dev-util/cmake: 2.6.4-r3
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.0.1
sys-apps/openrc: 0.6.0
sys-apps/sandbox: 1.6-r2
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.63-r1
sys-devel/automake: 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10.2
sys-devel/binutils: 2.18-r3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1
sys-devel/libtool: 2.2.6b
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.27-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/X11/xkb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/udev/rules.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="distlocks fixpackages parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"
LANG="en_US.UTF8"
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"
LINGUAS="en"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="3dnow X Xaw3d a52 aac acl acpi alsa amd64 ao apache2 audiofile avahi bash-completion berkdb branding bzip2 cairo cdda cddb cdinstall cdparanoia cdr cleartype cli consolekit cracklib crypt css cups curl cxx dbus dga dri dts dvd dvdr eds emboss encode enscript esd evo exif fam ffmpeg firefox flac fontconfig foomaticdb fortran fusion gd gdbm gif gimp gnome gnuplot gnutls gphoto2 gpm gsl gsm gstreamer gtk gtkhtml gzip hal hddtemp iconv imagemagick imap imlib ipv6 jabber java java6 javascript jbig joystick jpeg jpeg2k lame ldap libnotify lzo mad maildir mbox mikmod mime mmap mmx mng modplug modules mozilla mp3 mp4 mpeg mplayer mtp mudflap multilib musepack musicbrainz mysql mysqli ncurses nls nocd nptl nptlonly nsplugin ogg opengl openmp pam pch pcre pda pdf perl php plotutils png policykit portaudio posix ppds pppd python qt3support qt4 quicktime rdesktop readline reflection rss ruby samba scanner sdl session smp sndfile snmp sox spell spl sqlite sse sse2 ssl startup-notification svg symlink sysfs syslog taglib tcpd theora threads thunar tidy tiff timidity truetype unicode usb v4l v4l2 vcd vim-syntax vnc vorbis wavpack wmf x264 xattr xcb xcomposite xft xine xinerama xinetd xml xmlrpc xorg xosd xpm xprint xscreensaver xsl xulrunner xv xvid zeroconf zlib zsh-completion" ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="en" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="vesa nv nvidia"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY
Acts 17:28, "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the output of `mount`? Also, can you eject the cd as root with any of the following commands?
Code:
# eject

or

# umount /dev/cdrom
dunkirk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relevant lines:

/dev/sr0 on /media/sr0 type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,uid=0,gid=1005,iocharset=utf8)
/dev/sr1 on /media/sr1 type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,uid=0,gid=1005,iocharset=utf8)

Also, I can `eject' just fine as root, but it leaves a hanging directory ("sr0") in /media.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunkirk wrote:
Also, I can `eject' just fine as root, but it leaves a hanging directory ("sr0") in /media.
Perhaps you can use ivman to manually unmount the drive? I've stopped using ivman a while ago since it is no longer compatible with new versions of hal. I instead use halevt, which also comes with the halevt-umount command, which can be used to manually unmount devices via hal.
dunkirk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can just pop the disc out by the eject button on the front of the drive, as well as unmount as root. The reason I posted was because the situation is different this time around. I've been running for, like, a couple years on this computer with the expected behavior. However, with this new install, things have changed, and I can't find a package that I've installed, a use flag I've enabled, or a configuration tweak that I've missed that can account for the difference. I need to know what's mounting that drive ahead of hal during the startup sequence, and I can't figure it out.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunkirk wrote:
I need to know what's mounting that drive ahead of hal during the startup sequence, and I can't figure it out.
Are you sure that hal isn't mounting it? You mentioned that there was a directory created in /media... I'm pretty sure hal is the only part of your system that creates mount points there. The only other boot mounts are performed via the entries in your /etc/fstab.

Perhaps you can remove hal from your default runlevel as a test, and see if the drive is still mounted at boot or not. I would guess that it won't be mounted in that case.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: