need suggestions for converting h264/ac3 m2ts-file
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leocifre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: need suggestions for converting h264/ac3 m2ts-file Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to convert some videos I made with my sony cam, which are h264/ac3 .m2ts files into either .avi or .mpeg.

Basically, I only care about the container, I would like to keep the original quality both for audio and video, audio is 5.1 and video 1440x1080.

I tried making an xvid/ac3 .avi with ffmpeg with -acodec copy, but I only get video when trying to play the output.

Anyways, if you could offer me suggestions as to which codecs for both audio and video and how I would best go about it that would be nice ;)
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed lack of sound problems with the latest ffmpeg and ac3 too lately despite -formats showing DEA for ac3, so you are not alone. Transcoding sound to another format such as aac does seems to work though so give...

Code:

ffmpeg -i infile.m2ts -vcodec copy -acodec libfaac -ar 44100 -ac 6 -ab 384kb outfile.avi

...a try and see if that doesn't work. Of course it best to convert your sound to whatever codec your hardware best supports. This user: http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2009-October/022753.html seems to problems with aac over 128k. I've not experienced that.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use x264 and ogg vorbis (or keep ac3) in a matroska container. I'd use avidemux for the conversion.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: