View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] another qt3support query Reply with quote

'tis in regard to the qt3support USE flag

So...looking to tidy things up a bit on my system

The specific packages should not be important, as this is a general question

I keep finding threads where the suggestion is to just add 'qt3support' to global USE - my question is, aside from getting portage to stop having an absolute fit, why?

I would be quite happy to USE="-qt3support" globally, but it would seem this is bordering on impossible, as I will invariably encounter something that gripes about it not being set.

So this begs the question - what is the *correct* thing to do here? Is it at all possible for myself, currently a KDE 4.3.4 user, to in any way shape or form, progress beyond this point with USE="-qt3support" ?

Just as an example:

Code:

emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy ">=x11-libs/qt-sql-4.5.1:4[qt3support]".
!!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
- x11-libs/qt-sql-4.6.0-r1 (Change USE: +qt3support)
(dependency required by "kde-base/kdelibs-4.3.4" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "dev-util/subversion-1.6.6-r10" [installed])
(dependency required by "@world" [argument])

Right, so, I'm fully aware I can add qt3support to my global USE and progress past this problem.

Can anyone give me an explanation as to *why* I have to do this, and cannot -qt3support in global USE?

I've had this install going happily for about a year now, and as I'm more or less comfy enough with gentoo I'm on the verge of a wipe+reinstall (it would be a gentoo reinstall, don't worry ;) ) but this is darn near a breaking point. I've shifted from gnome=>E17=>KDE4, and in the process accumulated enough bloat that this isn't a terrible idea anyway.

Either I'm completely misunderstanding qt3support, and it's for some reason genuinely needed, or portage is being frustratingly unclear in what it wants me to do.

At any rate, can anyone provide me with an explanation as to *why* the deuce everything shits itself if I USE="-qt3support" ?

My emerge --info should be more or less irrelevant. All that should be relevant is that as of right now, the only kde/qt related global USE I have are qt4 -qt3support

NB: just to make sure it wasn't something screwy in my per-package USE, I moved those out of the way; same behaviour.

Last edited by cach0rr0 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, qt3support is a useflag that enables the qt-qt3support module in Qt4, as well as needed code in other Qt4 modules. It does in no way depend on Qt3 (which is close to being removed from portage altogether). It contains classes that make porting Qt3 applications and libraries to Qt4 easier. They are Qt4 classes that emulate Qt3 behavior. This is really only interesting for the developer of that package, not for the user.

Any Qt4-based package that uses these classes from Qt4's qt3support will require the qt3support useflag to be enabled. This means the useflag needs to be enabled for all Qt4 modules that have this useflag. Enabling it for one but not other modules would break things, either at compile time or at runtime, so we force the usage: it must be either enabled or disabled for all qt-* ebuilds. And as there is no package other than the Qt libraries themselves that use this useflag, the recommendation is to enable (or disable) it globally in make.conf.

As kdelibs-4 uses these qt3support classes internally (or so I've been told, I'm not a KDE dev or maintainer), there is a genuine requirement for qt3support to be enabled. There is no way you can have KDE4 without qt3support in Qt4. But this does not at all mean you need to keep Qt3 itself around. We strongly recommend you to remove x11-libs/qt:3.

I hope this clears things up.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clears things up perfectly, thanks for that :)

I'm sold enough; I'll put it back.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: