Help with getting webcam working -- SOLVED
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Help with getting webcam working -- SOLVED Reply with quote

I just got what the vendor called a Fosman 6-LED USB 2.0 webcam, but believe it must be Fosmon. In following http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/WebcamI have emerged xawtv, libv4l, and usbutils, and enabled the following in the kernel: VIDEO_CAPTURE_DRIVERS, V4L_USB_DRIVERS, USB_GSPCA, and (almost certainly not needed) RC_CORE.
After reboot lsusb gives no sign of the plugged webcam. I get "open /dev/video0: No such file or directory" when running v4l-info. I don't have the v4l and v4l2 use flags set -- should I? I have also run update-usbids.
At this point I'm guessing that I have a missing driver in the kernel, but a web search has not revealed the chipset used in this webcam. Any ideas? Thanks,
Fred

Last edited by Fred Krogh on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick google tells me uvcvideo is the right driver for this thing, not gspca.
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added as modules all the drivers under USB Vidoe Class (UVC) and still no /dev/video0. Perhaps I need to get something called uvcvideo someplace else? At http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/ it seems to suggest that the 3.2.1 kernel should have all the drivers. I'm still stuck.
Incidently I'd be interested in the search term you used in your quick google search. I thought I'd covered things. Thanks.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred Krogh wrote:
Incidently I'd be interested in the search term you used in your quick google search. I thought I'd covered things.

I searched for
Code:
Fosman 6-LED USB 2.0 linux
and the third result was http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fosmon-Megapixel-Chrome-Webcam-Microphone/dp/B0056B8NA2 where it says
Quote:
The item is a UVC (USB Video Class) compliant device. It works with any systems supporting UVC:
Linux
Make sure you have Linux UVC driver installed.

You'll need to provide more info: Use pastebin to post the output of dmesg after plugging the cam in.
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The help is much appreciated. In order to try plugging in the webcam after the computer was booted I moved to a plug in the front of the computer, instead of where I had it on the back. That just fixed things! All is working. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: