Installing software at the moment they are released
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fernandoc1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Installing software at the moment they are released Reply with quote

Every two week, we have a new version of wine to be tested. I wanna know if there is a way to force portage to install the wine version that I provide from my disk.
I know that doesn't take too much time to portage get it to its database, but I want to get the latest wine as fast as I can.
I even have the option to compile wine by my self, but I rely more on Portage to do this task.
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "the latest wine", is it important to you that it has actually been released as stable? Cause you could always just unmask the cvs-ebuild (wine-9999). It will always fetch the latest sources, but they may not always be in a buildable state. Sometimes you may have to wait a day before trying again.

If you need to build from particular tarballs, you could create a custom ebuild with a dummy version number, stick it in your local portage overlay and unmask it.
fernandoc1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you describe the steps to do this?
I'm new at Gentoo and I don't even understand what is mask a package.
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. If you look at what versions are available, you will see several are marked with a ~, meaning that it has not been marked as stable yet. Check out a web-based portage list, or emerge gentoolkit and run equery l wine.

One of the masked versions is 9999. This is the CVS version. Create a file /etc/portage/package.keywords and put this in it to unmask:
Code:
=app-emulation/wine-9999 ~amd64

Replace amd64 with the architecture you are using. This will unmask the listed version. Next time you emerge wine (or run emerge -uDav world), you will get this version instead of the latest marked as stable.
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry. Just noticed wine-9999 is masked with missing keyword, not ~. In this case, use ** instead of ~amd64 in the keywords list.

Addendum: The point of that is to make sure you understand that it won't always build, and that if it doesn't, you are on your own. Gentoo can not make sure the 9999 is always in a buildable state on a gentoo system. If it doesn't build, you can either use one of the ~ versions, or wait a day or two and try again.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, the line in /etc/portage/package.keywords should be :

Code:
app-emulation/wine **

And the command to emerge it :

Code:
emerge -av =app-emulation/wine-9999
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: