If you're hanging out on reddit, check-out /r/Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spatz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: If you're hanging out on reddit, check-out /r/Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi all,

We've recently started revitalizing the Gentoo subreddit and we'd like to invite you to join us and pump some more life into it.
The purpose is obviously different than support as the forums/mailing lists/bugzilla already fill that need.

In the two weeks we're at it there have already been about 80 new subscribers to the subreddit and a lot of links and comments, it's turning into an amusing little gentoo spot :)

So drop by, we'd love to see you.
Progman3K
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Which ttf font? Reply with quote

Hi Spatz,

I am reading Reddit and I often see an emoticon referred to as 'The look of disapproval'
Here it is:
ಠ_ಠ

When I view it, it shows up as two squares with an underline between them.

After doing more reading it appears that to obtain the proper appearance for this emoticon, I must install a ttf font. The problem is I do not know which one to install... Do you?

On the Reddit forums, it is mentioned as being a Linux font package called Kannada but that doesn't appear to exist in Gentoo's catalog, although I am certain another of the Gentoo catalog's font packages would be the equivalent.

EDIT:
After doing some more searching, it turns out
media-fonts/lohit-fonts works perfectly!
Thanks!
kimmie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting you should post this, I've been hanging out on reddit recently. I'll say one thing: the Ahole factor there (by which I mean, people who think the internet is primarily a fun way to be obnoxious) is way into the red. And I'm excluding trolling, joking and having real disagreements. Here it's practically zero.

So I'll check out r/gentoo, but do me a favour, DON'T invite people there to forums.gentoo.org. I'm sure they'll find it on their own! Grrr :evil:
Progman3K
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimmie wrote:
Interesting you should post this, I've been hanging out on reddit recently. I'll say one thing: the Ahole factor there (by which I mean, people who think the internet is primarily a fun way to be obnoxious) is way into the red. And I'm excluding trolling, joking and having real disagreements. Here it's practically zero.

So I'll check out r/gentoo, but do me a favour, DON'T invite people there to forums.gentoo.org. I'm sure they'll find it on their own! Grrr :evil:
I understand what you're saying.
It's just not the same goal: Here we're moderated and we're all vying for the same goal: making Gentoo even better and deepening our understanding of it.
On Reddit, well, there the goal is clearly NOT the same... Not sure what it is really. I sort of like the humorous replies...
kimmie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I like the humorous replies on reddit too. I'm not easily shocked and I like pushing the boundaries myself. It's just that there'd be a lot of people with missing teeth and broken ribs if they carried themselves the same way in the real world that they do on the internet. Whatever :? I'm probably just an old timer. Where's my friend the Byteosausus? I lent him my 68000 assembler manual YEARS ago, he probably fucking died on it....
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reddit's relatively civilised compared to most of the alternatives. Though that's not saying much.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: