Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Will Xorg-server , mplayer , firefox be enough as a desktop?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yu xintian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Will Xorg-server , mplayer , firefox be enough as a desktop? Reply with quote

Hi,people here ! It is the first time I use Gentoo. I want to have a system that can play movies (using mplayer) and surf on the Net (using firefox).These two function are good enough for me(I don't want other useless things).I am installing xorg-server now( it really takes time :x ).So I wonder if it is enough for me to just install xorg-server,mplayer and firfox (I mean "emerge xorg-server mplayer firefox" ).I don't want to have a kde or gnome environment if it is not necessary . But I'm not sure if I can play movie without kds or gnome :? .If you want ,you can check my /etc/make.conf for further information,thank you! :)

Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
USE="-gtk -gnome -java  X  dvd alsa qt acpi ffmpg gphoto2 gzip lame mad mozilla mplayer quicktime symlink wifi win32codecs xinerama "
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics"
VIDEO_CARDS="intel"

xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

xorg-server will only emerge for you the graphical drivers. No window manager, no terminal.

You will need to emerge a WM (twm, fvwm, fluxbox, xfce, ...), a terminal (xterm, ...)
Jazz-KP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and more likely you want to emerge XDM too, though you can run desktop without it, but you'll need to write your own script to start Xserver
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

startx script is provided by xinit, no need to write your own. You can run any X app without a WM. You may find having some lightweight WM makes life much easier, though. :wink:
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I suggest emerging kdebase-meta? It is relatively lightweight and works nicely.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
Might I suggest emerging kdebase-meta? It is relatively lightweight and works nicely.

Yeah right :P Maybe not :P

I suggest something like Xfce if he wants something pretty fast.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one box with only xorg-server, twm, and smplayer. It works for what I need.
Updates and so on are done via ssh.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:

8O LOL

KDE4 has become the most bloated desktop environment we have. On my kdeless laptop (but with Qt4 already installed) an emerge kdebase-meta would result in adding:
Code:
Total: 114 packages (109 new, 5 reinstalls, 1 uninstall), Size of downloads: 242,585 kB

And that is with mysql disabled, which is enabled by default on the desktop profile...

I'd recommend Openbox for light-weight.
blackfury
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently built the same setup with xorg-server running openbox as my WM with firefox and VLC as major applications. You may want to put feh for your wallpaper, tint2 for taskbar and your other basic tools (calendar, calculator, imageviewer, etc.). System runs really fast on my 3 year old laptop, boots up at around 20 secs and plays movies flawlessly.

You may want to ease up on your USE flags. Setting your USE flags on package.use should be the way to go, imho.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try fluxbox too.
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

openbox + tint2 + rox (as a desktop icon manager) makes a nice and lightweight setup. i've been using it for a few years now - tin2 is a replacement for fbpanel i've been using earlier.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
Shining Arcanine wrote:

8O LOL

KDE4 has become the most bloated desktop environment we have. On my kdeless laptop (but with Qt4 already installed) an emerge kdebase-meta would result in adding:
Code:
Total: 114 packages (109 new, 5 reinstalls, 1 uninstall), Size of downloads: 242,585 kB

And that is with mysql disabled, which is enabled by default on the desktop profile...

I'd recommend Openbox for light-weight.

kdebase-meta is much lighter than kde-meta, which pulls in all KDE packages.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want video in firefox I recommend installing adobe-flash and gecko-mediaplayer as well. As for a window manager suggestion I recommend FVWM, since you can configure it to be extremely minimal if you want.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
yngwin wrote:
an emerge kdebase-meta would result in adding:
Code:

kdebase-meta is much lighter than kde-meta, which pulls in all KDE packages.

I was talking about kdebase-meta. That's 114 packages and 240 MB to download just for kdebase-meta...
yu xintian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Thank you all ! Reply with quote

Wow,thank you for your advice ! I really appreciate it ! :D

Until now I am still not very sure about USE. When I run " emerge -pv something " ,I often get a list of packages to be installed,every package need to write something like " USE = ..........." to /etc/make.conf .I mean if I want to install this software, do I have to write all these "USE =.........." to /etc/make.conf ? How about I totally write nothing to /etc/make.conf at all ? I guess Gentoo will install it with the default "USE=.........." as I get in the list. :)

PS: I still can not get my X work. I get this error after I run "startx" : FATAL: Module i915 not found.
Maybe I need to delete every "USE=........" in my /etc/make.conf and re-install X in its default way. :)
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you all ! Reply with quote

yu xintian wrote:
PS: I still can not get my X work. I get this error after I run "startx" : FATAL: Module i915 not found.
Maybe I need to delete every "USE=........" in my /etc/make.conf and re-install X in its default way. :)
Sounds like you haven't installed the drivers needed for xorg-server. Take a look here, and pay specific attention to the INPUT_DEVICES and VIDEO_CARDS vars: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml

Since you already installed xorg-server, you will likely want to run an `emerge -DuN xorg-server` when you complete the configuration.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, some USE flags will be set by the profile. Run:
Code:
eselect profile list

For a desktop system, it is usually advisable to set a desktop profile:
Code:
eselect profile set <number of 10.0/desktop profile>
This will enable most/all the USE flags required for a desktop system.

Also see : Gentoo Handbook - USE flags

Happy compiling. :)
blackfury
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you all ! Reply with quote

yu xintian wrote:

Here's a few things you can check out:

1. Run startx without the xorg.conf. In my case, running "# Xorg -configure" and pointing out to the generated xorg.conf.new file crashes X 100% of the time. Startx by itself should be sufficient.

2. You may take a look at this http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Intel_GMA for your video, assuming you have an intel card / onboard.

3. To further understand your /etc/make.conf, try to supplement the official gentoo install guide with http://gentoo-install.com/.

4. Familiarize yourself with USE flags and what they do. Pop-up http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml everytime you do an '# emerge -av xxxx'. [/url]

5. Learn when to use /etc/portage/package.use and /etc/portage/package.keywords
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the output of lspci -n
lspci is from the sys-apps/pciutils package.

Also post the the output of this command:
Code:
egrep '^[^#].*(PCI|AGP|DRM|INTEL|MTRR|SYSVIPC)' /usr/src/linux/.config

Also post your emerge --info
and the output of rc-status
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Will Xorg-server , mplayer , firefox be enough as a desk Reply with quote

yu xintian wrote:
Hi,people here ! It is the first time I use Gentoo. I want to have a system that can play movies (using mplayer) and surf on the Net (using firefox).These two function are good enough for me(I don't want other useless things).I am installing xorg-server now( it really takes time :x ).So I wonder if it is enough for me to just install xorg-server,mplayer and firfox (I mean "emerge xorg-server mplayer firefox" ).I don't want to have a kde or gnome environment if it is not necessary . But I'm not sure if I can play movie without kds or gnome :? .If you want ,you can check my /etc/make.conf for further information,thank you! :)

Code:
USE="-gtk -gnome -java  X  dvd alsa qt acpi ffmpg gphoto2 gzip lame mad mozilla mplayer quicktime symlink wifi win32codecs xinerama "
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics"
VIDEO_CARDS="intel"

Personally, I would emerge XDM also to get a sorta 'desktop'...I don't know whether you would call it a desktop. But notice, you have to invoke everything from command line...firefox, mplayer (you should know many command line options for mplayer) etc...

Maybe you can install SMplayer...that will take the load off.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you all ! Reply with quote

yu xintian wrote:
Wow,thank you for your advice ! I really appreciate it ! :D

Until now I am still not very sure about USE. When I run " emerge -pv something " ,I often get a list of packages to be installed,every package need to write something like " USE = ..........." to /etc/make.conf .I mean if I want to install this software, do I have to write all these "USE =.........." to /etc/make.conf ? How about I totally write nothing to /etc/make.conf at all ? I guess Gentoo will install it with the default "USE=.........." as I get in the list. :)

The flags that you're referring to are the global and default USE flags, for package specific USE flags, refer to that /etc/Portage/package.use

Read the handbook for more details.
yu xintian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Hi,Mike ! Reply with quote

Hi,Mike ! Unfortunately ,still no luck to start X .Please look at these messages I got :

Code:
Gentoo ~ # lspci -n
00:00.0 0600: 8086:27ac (rev 03)
00:02.0 0300: 8086:27ae (rev 03)
00:02.1 0380: 8086:27a6 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 0403: 8086:27d8 (rev 02)
00:1c.0 0604: 8086:27d0 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 0604: 8086:27d2 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 0c03: 8086:27c8 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 0c03: 8086:27c9 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 0c03: 8086:27ca (rev 02)
00:1d.3 0c03: 8086:27cb (rev 02)
00:1d.7 0c03: 8086:27cc (rev 02)
00:1e.0 0604: 8086:2448 (rev e2)
00:1f.0 0601: 8086:27b9 (rev 02)
00:1f.2 0101: 8086:27c4 (rev 02)
00:1f.3 0c05: 8086:27da (rev 02)
01:00.0 0200: 10ec:8168 (rev 02)
02:00.0 0480: 14e4:1612 (rev 01)

Code:
Gentoo ~ # egrep '^[^#].*(PCI|AGP|DRM|INTEL|MTRR|SYSVIPC)' /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_PCI_QUIRKS=y
CONFIG_X86_INTEL_USERCOPY=y
CONFIG_CPU_SUP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE_INTEL=y
CONFIG_MICROCODE_INTEL=y
CONFIG_MTRR=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCI_GOANY=y
CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
CONFIG_PCI_MMCONFIG=y
CONFIG_PCI_DOMAINS=y
CONFIG_PCIEPORTBUS=y
CONFIG_PCIEAER=y
CONFIG_PCI_MSI=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI=y
CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
CONFIG_NE2K_PCI=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_PCI=y
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_INTEL=y
CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_DRM=y
CONFIG_DRM_I915=y
CONFIG_SND_PCI=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_INTELHDMI=y

Code:
Gentoo ~ # emerge --info
Portage 2.1.7.16 (default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop, gcc-4.3.4, glibc-2.10.1-r1, 2.6.31-gentoo-r6 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-2.6.31-gentoo-r6-i686-Intel-R-_Atom-TM-_CPU_N270_@_1.60GHz-with-gentoo-1.12.13
Timestamp of tree: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 01:45:01 +0000
app-shells/bash:     4.0_p35
dev-lang/python:     2.6.4
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.13
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.6-r2
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.63-r1
sys-devel/automake:  1.9.6-r2, 1.10.2
sys-devel/binutils:  2.18-r3
sys-devel/gcc:       4.3.4
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1
sys-devel/libtool:   2.2.6b
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.27-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/X11/xkb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/udev/rules.d"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests distlocks fixpackages news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus dri dts dvd dvdr eds emboss encode evo fam firefox flac fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk hal iconv ipv6 jpeg kde ldap libnotify mad mikmod mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg mudflap ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg opengl openmp pam pcre pdf perl png ppds pppd python qt3support qt4 quicktime readline reflection sdl session spell spl ssl startup-notification svg sysfs tcpd thunar tiff truetype unicode usb vorbis win32codecs x264 x86 xml xorg xulrunner xv xvid zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="intel"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

Code:

Gentoo ~ # rc-status
Runlevel: default
 hald                                                                                  [ started  ]
 local                                                                                 [ started  ]
 net.eth0                                                                              [ started  ]
 netmount                                                                              [ started  ]
 syslog-ng                                                                             [ started  ]
 vixie-cron                                                                            [ started  ]

Thank you for your patience to read these messages ! :)
If you would like,you can get more information about my computer from this :

Code:
Gentoo ~ # startx
hostname: Unknown host
xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.3694

X.Org X Server 1.6.5
Release Date: 2009-10-11
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.31-gentoo-r6 i686
Current Operating System: Linux Gentoo 2.6.31-gentoo-r6 #1 SMP Tue Feb 2 21:29:02 HKT 2010 i686
Build Date: 03 February 2010  04:32:03PM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
   to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
   (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
   (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Feb  3 17:27:59 2010
(==) Using default built-in configuration (39 lines)
(EE) Failed to load module "i810" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
FATAL: Module i915 not found.
Setting master
expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadToggle: line 122 of inet
^C

I'm really puzzled with this,I have run "emerge --deep --newuse world " after I set my /etc/make.conf like this:
Code:
Gentoo ~ # cat /etc/make.conf
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
USE="dbus hal"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
VIDEO_CARDS="intel"

I still don't know how to make Module i915 work :? . Thank you again for your help and your attention ! :D
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments.

Not about installing Gentoo. You are setting a DE, even if it's minimal.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, do you have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf, if so, can you post it ?
yu xintian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,d2_racing ! I don't have that file ,I only have a xorg.conf.example there. Do I have to create that file myself ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: