Framebuffer issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gruber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Framebuffer issue Reply with quote

Hi again,

Ever since the very first time I started installing Gentoo on my box, I had issues with fb.

FB works like charm on liveCDs, but once my install is finished and I boot, the resolution is screwed. So far I wasn't actually up to it, but I finally settled with a stable build, and this is starting to annoy me more and more.

I'm pretty sure I've set the kernel for fb support. I used genkernel but paid attention not to trifle with the fb-related stuff. I fact, I double checked them as far as my knowledge goes. Well, there are fancy colors but the res is @#$%&*!

I tried with
Code:
video=uvesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap,1280x1024-32@60
with no success. I also tried with radeonfb instead of uvesafb - still nothing!

I'm running 2 crossfired RV670s (Radeon HD 3850).

KISS: HELP!!!
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you asked to use the uvesafb frame buffer.
- The uvesafb kernel driver cannot stand alone. It needs some additional userspace program.
you should read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/uvesafb

I personally do not need the extra features of uvesafb, so I cannot actually tell you more if you want to keep it.
I stand with the good old vesafb frame buffer (which can stand alone as driver) and my boot manager instructions are :

vga=0x37b (in order to set the 1250 x I do not remember resolution)
append "video=vesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap"
gruber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:
Well, you asked to use the uvesafb frame buffer.
- The uvesafb kernel driver cannot stand alone. It needs some additional userspace program.
you should read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/uvesafb

I personally do not need the extra features of uvesafb, so I cannot actually tell you more if you want to keep it.
I stand with the good old vesafb frame buffer (which can stand alone as driver) and my boot manager instructions are :

vga=0x37b (in order to set the 1250 x I do not remember resolution)
append "video=vesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap"

10x! I'll give the docs a shot. Didn't know they ever existed! The Gentoo Handbook doesn't say anything about it, except "add video=uvesafb:blabla" if you used
Code:
genkernel all

Well, I did used genkernel and I'm quite sure all the settings that need to be there are there.

Anyway, I'll keep up the fight! I can see what's next: some udev update things, some Xorg, some ati-drivers, some Gnome & KDE... But as they say 'If it moves, compile it'!

Bis bald!
gruber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works ONLY with vesafb. Or at least I think so, because I can only get FB with vga=xxx in the kernel line in grub.

But it's DAMN slow!

Is there a fglrx FB? Or I have to stick with radeonfb? BTW, the last doesn't seem to be working either. Or maybe I don't know how to start it???
jenkler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow?, strange i allways use vesafb and it works quite well
gruber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVM!

I gave up Gentoo already! I'm sick of broken packages, circular dependencies, versions incompatibility, etc. I've devoted couple of months just to build a stable system, after which the real trouble begun.

Bleeding edge? The only bleeding edge was the one of the razor, with which I tried to cut my veins after issue #32059872345 - "Don't drink choc yogurt while compiling KDE with -fomit-frame-pointer".

Well, I did a lot of research & reading first but it's most because of the distro, IMHO. I mean why don't things just work? For a server or a specific task it's probably OK, but when you start installing a lot of stuff, it's getting really ugly. General-purpose distro? Well, if it's a one purpose at a time it's OK...

Anyway, sorry for the offtopic, but I now feel more relieved than after a 'session' with my shrink (and she's DA BOMB, you feel me?)! ;D

I truly hope you don't have any issues with the distro. Maybe, one day if I go nuts I might give it another try.

P.S. Glad to know vesafb works well for you, jenkler! ;)
jenkler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gruber wrote:
NVM!

I gave up Gentoo already! I'm sick of broken packages, circular dependencies, versions incompatibility, etc. I've devoted couple of months just to build a stable system, after which the real trouble begun.

Bleeding edge? The only bleeding edge was the one of the razor, with which I tried to cut my veins after issue #32059872345 - "Don't drink choc yogurt while compiling KDE with -fomit-frame-pointer".

Well, I did a lot of research & reading first but it's most because of the distro, IMHO. I mean why don't things just work? For a server or a specific task it's probably OK, but when you start installing a lot of stuff, it's getting really ugly. General-purpose distro? Well, if it's a one purpose at a time it's OK...

Anyway, sorry for the offtopic, but I now feel more relieved than after a 'session' with my shrink (and she's DA BOMB, you feel me?)! ;D

I truly hope you don't have any issues with the distro. Maybe, one day if I go nuts I might give it another try.

P.S. Glad to know vesafb works well for you, jenkler! ;)

Sorry you feel this way, but in my case i use gentoo for all my systems (around 10). and i dont have this type of issues. I know if you don't update for a long time or running most of the pkg unstable it can somtimes be tricky to fix but it is not impossible

I konw i sound like a nerd but gentoo is the best dist i ever have tried :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: