View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
8-bitDesigner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that's a definite help, and I've just quickly sketched out a list of the merged packages I have installed (some 22, I believe, but I'll comb through my /usr/bin later).

So, just one package per line? Perfect.

Quick question, and I don't know if you'd know this one, but I just SSH'd in and I have an empty world file, so should I just copy over the header, or does the "$ head -n 10 /var/lib/portage/world" section change at all, from system to system?

Cheers and thanks for all the help so far!
UncleOwen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8-bitDesigner wrote:
Quick question, and I don't know if you'd know this one, but I just SSH'd in and I have an empty world file, so should I just copy over the header, or does the "$ head -n 10 /var/lib/portage/world" section change at all, from system to system?

That's just what I typed in the shell to get the list...
8-bitDesigner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah hah! Okay, now I remember the "head" command. I was expecting some sort of header on the world document itself, but just realised that it's not an executable, so, probably doesn't need one.

Don't mind me. :oops:
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged from here.
8-bitDesigner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00t! Back in business.

ecatmur's cruft script pumps out a list of files some many, many pages long, including a series of files for programs I've since emerged new versions of. So, I'm now going to dig through all that to figure out what I can make of all that data.

At least I'm running again! I emerged all the packages I'd installed since getting Gentoo up and running, and thankfully that seems to be everything.

I guess the only question I have now is, that I seem to be missing my /etc/make.profile/packages file, and I'm running 2005.1. Has this file moved, and if now, where can I find the packages installed by default so that I can add them to my world file?
swooshOnLn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, what about a bash program that would "emerge --inject =(package name)" based on the folder names in "/usr/share/doc"?

This is my font size, color, and signature. It will change to whatever I pick. How cool is that?
synss
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I pop in as I have just lost my /var tonight! (expanding the /var with fdisk, then want to resize my ext2 partition but it's gone...)

anyway, I have a quick workaround, I use portage 2.1, I do not know whether equery is part of it or not but... here we go, it is not perfect but it seems to help at least, please improve, I am poor with sed/awk, I know that
Code:
#!/bin/bash

cd /usr/share/doc
cat /dev/null > /tmp/a.file
mkdir -p /etc/portage/profile/
cat /dev/null > /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
for i in *-*
do
        query=$(ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" equery w "~$i")
        atom=$(echo "$query" | cut --delimiter=/ -f 4)/$(echo $query | cut --delimiter=/ -f 6 | sed s:.ebuild::)
        echo $atom
        echo $atom >> /tmp/a.file
        grep -vh '^/' /tmp/a.file > /tmp/b.file
done
cp /tmp/b.file /etc/portage/profile/package.provided

EDIT1:
1. I run a mixed x86/~x86 arch, hence the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
2. one could use atom=$(echo "$query" | cut --delimiter=/ -f 4)/$i on a x86 arch I believe
3. the grep -vh '^/' eliminates the equery failures
4. the rest is easy to understand: there is nothing else :wink:

EDIT2: It does help but it should work even better: I have app-misc/oneko-1.2 (running on my screen and) in /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, however, when I emerge -p oneko, it says it is new! I do not get that... But it is time to sleep now so I'll take care of that tomorrow. Good night. :sleep:

EDIT3: well, I'll go for a chroot re-install (I have a not-so-old backup of my world file and I know what softwares I use), but that trick *should* work better, I do not understand what is wrong there. Please tell me.

NOTE: the advantage on Windows here is that I can still watch DVDs during the reinstall process :lol:
Drewgrange
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: I deleted /var! Reply with quote

I just made a big boo boo

I was separating my filesystem out amoung separate partitions. I put /usr/portage in it's own filesystem, then wanted to put /var in one as well. Unfortunately I couldn't make another primary partition, so I just ran

Code:
mkdir /usr/portage/var
mv /var/* /usr/portage/var
rm -r /var
ln -s /usr/portage/var var

Everything was fine until I ran an emerge --sync. This deleted all of the var files! I know there are other things in var other than portage related entries such as /var/log... is there a way that I can restore this or am I screwed?

As for the partition.. I guess I should have made /var its own partition, then symlinked /usr/portage to /var/portage or something.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you're hosed. sorry. 8O

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
Drewgrange
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, luckily I moved my /home directory to it's own partition as well, so the most I'll lose here is some time.

damn, and this install has lasted me for about 3 years now!
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, you might could attempt a recovery, but from my knowledge, a file recovery in Linux makes getting Windows to work smoothly look simple...
htranou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting aside the possible (?) recovery (not worth the hard work, if you ask me), Bunder is probably right.
You've lost your world file (it contains which packages you emerged), you can't try to regenerate it (regen-world uses emerge.log I think, that you've lost too), as well as the whole /var/db/pkg that contains the ebuilds of everything that is installed at the moment on your system.

There may be a couple other things, maybe in /var/lib. Maybe you had a /var/www ?

Well good luck on fixing your gentoo.

What you wanted to do wasn't bad in itself, but next time, you'll remember to use RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM.
Admiral_Trigger_Happy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I lost my /var parition once too,
But luckly for me it was just after a fresh install so I just ran "emerge -ave system" and then reemerged the packages I had already installed.

You could do the same thing but I wouldn't advise it (too much crap would be left), I would suggest you backup the stuff in /etc that you have made changes to, like your make.conf, and the /etc/portage dir and of course /home and start from a fresh install with those files stuck in.

This give you a chance to refine somethings you would have liked to change, like your partition scheme etc.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinstall would probably be the least painful by far, plus you get to find out how well you REALLY know your computer :) (I know with my install I had alot of problems, being a first timer and all. Boy was that fun. Alot of satisfaction gained from your first working kernel).
gondolin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Lost /var Reply with quote

Hi,

I have an installed a corporate Gentoo local rsync server.
Now after the installation we take always image of the machine for a quick restore, but there was a bad interaction from one assistent that causes the erase of the /var partition.
Is there a way to fix this, example uses a /var from another machine? Its for the gentoo world file ... and so on.
I would not to reinstall the whole machine.

good ideas are more then welcome
swooshOnLn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/var is a very important folder to loose.

I have seen some temp "works" for loosing /var, but I have not seen somebody fix it other than re-installing or using a backup.

If the other computers on the network are the exact same, you could try copying /var from one to the other.

This is my font size, color, and signature. It will change to whatever I pick. How cool is that?
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above two posts here

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an off-chance, maybe you could use another world file, place it in /var/whereitssupposedtobe/, then try emerge -e world?
gondolin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A'm going to give that solution a try.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: