Optimizing Intel Atom and VLC playback
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenderBendingRodriguez
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Optimizing Intel Atom and VLC playback Reply with quote

Hello everyone, i have one small problem, i am actually using a Samsung N130 netbook which is just fine now i have two problems:
1) VLC playing a x264 file in matroska very choppy while dragon player plays it just fine (i don't know they may be using different packages for playing the file right?

2) Optimizing the cpu flags for Intel Atom, i was following couple of threads and set this:

CFLAGS="-march=core2 -m32 -msse3 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l2-cache-size=512 -O2 -funswitch-loops -fpredictive-commoning -fgcse-after-reload -ftree-vectorize -fomit-frame-pointer -foptimize-register-move -mfpmath=sse -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
I don't exactly remember the thread but the person that set this gave very reasonable explanation and seems as it was a very experienced user, eariler i had quite similar settings (-O2 -march=core2 -mtune=generic -mssse=3 -mfpmatch=sse -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer as per gentoo's wiki for intel atom)

Now i would love to use the native -march=atom but it isn't in gcc until 4.5 and i don't want to fiddle with stability to gain 1 or 2% of performance :)
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, wow. Ricer flags. It's been a while since I've seen those.

Anyway, the Atom is a hyperthreaded processor, so mplayer-mt, which is a regular mplayer built with ffmpeg-mt, is the way to go. There's an ebuild for mplayer-mt somewhere in this forum. I don't know if VLC can use ffmpeg-mt.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a ton of experience with vlc, but does it make use of the GPU? If yes, your answer might be in enabling 3d acceleration for your video card, instead of fiddling with gcc compiler settings.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question is, what's your videocard? Maybe it can do some hardware processing.

Might wanna look into this: http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/mplayer-vaapi/
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Samsung N130 is a standard netbook, Intel GMA 950 graphics. So no hardware video decoding. But the Atom can do 720p with a multithreaded decoder.
rjmars97
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Optimizing Intel Atom and VLC playback Reply with quote

BenderBendingRodriguez wrote:

Now i would love to use the native -march=atom but it isn't in gcc until 4.5 and i don't want to fiddle with stability to gain 1 or 2% of performance :)

If that's true, get rid of all the crazy CFLAGS. Just use -march=native and let gcc select the necessary flags. It works quite well with the Atom using gcc 4.3.4 (the newest stable version in portage).

This is what I have for my Atom 330 based media computer:
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
When doing my testing, selecting all kinds of flags as you show did not help much with performance and will only give you problems later on. This computer also has the Intel GMA950 chip and can easily handle video up to 720p (as mentioned) when I play them in XBMC.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NC10 struggles with 720p video playback as well, but it isn't all that bad. Are you getting completely smooth playback?
rjmars97
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do get smooth playback on my 720p videos. I only have a few and they are wmv files, but I'm not sure which codec is used within. If you know of any x264 encoded mkv sample videos I'd be more than happy to test them on my machine.

edit: I just looked up the specs of the NC10, and it looks like it has the Atom N270 processor. My media computer has the Atom 330 which is essentially a dual core version of the 270. That could be the reason the NC10 struggles with smooth playback but my computer does not. If it matters, I'm using an Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, that is probably the reason. My processor cores are maxed out when I play a 720p video. I wondered if it was because I wasn't truly getting hardware rendering or not, but I think I am. Thanks for the information. :)
BenderBendingRodriguez
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: VLC playback Reply with quote

Well to be honest the funny thing is that VLC played a 720p just fine BUT after a complete reinstall any ffmpeg based playback got very jerky (at least high resolution video), if i use kaffeine (which is xine based i assume) then it plays just fine BUT the cpu usage is enormous (about 50%). For now i use Kaffeine but i don't like it at all :) too simple, no advanced settings etc.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 50%? I would love to see that! When I play 720p videos on my NC10, I see both CPUs (a.k.a. hyperthreading) maxed out.
BenderBendingRodriguez
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: 50% cpu Reply with quote

I have 50% CPU usage when i have cpufreq_conservative but while playing a 720p movie it clocks to maximum and stays at 50% usage. If i set powersave (constant 800MHz) then sometimes it is not enought and it slows down :)

For playing i am not using VLC since it is jerky as hell lately and i have completely no idea why. Kaffeine or dragonplayer is just fine :)

I am wondering, is there any hardware acceleration for i915?
sam.reader
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VLC uses a lot of system process percentage to operate
I don't think it is the ideal player for an atop processor
Why don't you go for a CCCP and play your media files in the MPC
It will be idea as it doesn't require much memory
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: