create new ebuild or use link to get to lib
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qbic2005
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: create new ebuild or use link to get to lib Reply with quote

Hi

Got a little question here for the ones with some programming experience...

I run mostly gnome stable and that pulls in bluez.
But I also want to get cwiid working and that package pulls in bluez-lib. Which can not exist on the same system with bluez.

If I understand the other posts well, bluez is actually just the new bluez-lib. So there is a big chance that the necessary funtions still exist.
But if I uninstall bluez-lib and pull in bluez, cwiid complains about "libbluetooth.so.2".
Bluez comes with libbluetooth.so.3 ...

So what I did previously if I had such a case, was making a static link toward the new lib, which worked ... almost always. Dirty? probably.

But I was wondering, this is not very nice, wouldn't it be better to recompile the package against the new lib?
If I create a new ebuild, which refers to bluez instead of bluez-lib, could that do it or am I missing a part ;) :?: :?:

I browsed a bit through the obvious parts of the cwiid source and it only refers to bluetooth.h, hci.h and hci-lib.h, which are all part of bluez also.

thanks
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If cwiid is compatible with bluez, compiling against it instead of bluez-lib should be no problem. I don't know how much has changed, but trying it out is pretty easy.

Create a local overlay directory if you don't have one (see man make.conf, /PORTDIR_OVERLAY), create app-misc/cwiid/ inside it and copy the ebuild in there. Modify it, run ebuild cwiid-*.ebuild manifest and re-emerge.

If it works, you should let the overlay-maintainers know, so they can add bluez as an alternative dependency.
chias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get compile errors... it complains about an undefined reference to hci_remote_name when compiling wmgui
edit: This is after attempting to compile both from tarball and portage overlay
chias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it working!

The easiest way is to just download the source tarball, edit libcwiid/bluetooth.c and change line 125 from "hci_remote_name" to "hci_read_remote_name". Then do a ./configure, make, make install.
Important: If you're 64-bit you'll have to "./configure --libdir=/usr/lib64" or it will install fine but fail on run with the error "ImportError: No module named cwiid"

Alternatively, get the portage overlay, edit the ebuilds to use bluez instead of bluez-utils, rebuild the manifests, and include this patch:
http://abstrakraft.org/cwiid/raw-attachment/ticket/74/hci_read.patch
Not exactly sure how you'd go about doing the libdir thing with this method though...

Also, remember to enable UINPUT in your kernel: Device Drivers -> Input Device Support -> Miscellaneous Devices -> User level driver support

Hope that helps :)
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chias wrote:
Not exactly sure how you'd go about doing the libdir thing with this method though...

Code:
inherit multilib
econf --libdir=/usr/$(get_libdir)

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: