View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Fullscreen video stretches over both screens [solved] Reply with quote

Hi guys

I'm using the open source ATI drivers (radeonhd), and dual head is working great for me in Gnome 2.28. XRandr takes care of it, my virtual screen size is set in Xorg and I can have different resolution on both monitors since one is a 720p TV, and one is a 1680x1050 monitor.

But my problem is when I'm trying to watch movies on the TV (using (S)mplayer or Totem). I can move windows between the screens (as expected) but when I full-screen them the full-screen stretches across both monitors. Are there any options I can set to stop this behaviour? To get the MPlayer/Totem window to treat the screens as two different screens instead of one large one?

I have not tried changing any XRandr settings, it is all set to default through the graphical app in Gnome.

Last edited by azp on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
dermund
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a dual screen setup. But have you tried
Code:
mplayer -xineramascreen -1 yourvid.mkv
?
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't tried that. I checked the different arguments to mplayer, but never saw that one. Hmm, I'll check it out when I'm home again (@work now).
I think XRandr completely "bypasses" Xinerama (as in doesn't use), and I'm unsure if Mplayer has any idea whether it is on a specific screen or several. That is what I'm afraid of at least.. But it feels like it should be possible to solve.
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of the stuff in this thread could help me:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-625435.html

That uses XRandr to get the TV to act as a render surface for the video player, ie. the player will take up the entire screen automatically. That is great! But I haven't tested it yet, but I'll get back to you.
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't solved this issue sadly... The how-to:s didn't do it for me and I'm unsure about what to do. It doesn't seem like anybody is watching stuff on their LCD TV:s using an ordinary DVI cable, and want mplayer to display it in full screen only on the TV.
yther
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot offer you much specific advice because I am using a dual-head NVidia setup and you are using ATI, however I will offer some words of encouragement because it definitely should be possible! I've got a wide screen on DVI and a square one on VGA, using KDE and Xinerama. Mplayer uses whichever monitor I have last placed the window on, IIRC, and full screen video uses the same, or whichever screen it's on before I push "F" if I don't start it using "-fs".

I am assuming you built mplayer with "xinerama" USE flag enabled... I believe I had a problem with it spanning displays before I turned that on. :oops:
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

azp wrote:

I think XRandr completely "bypasses" Xinerama (as in doesn't use), and I'm unsure if Mplayer has any idea whether it is on a specific screen or several. That is what I'm afraid of at least.. But it feels like it should be possible to solve.

Xrandr does, but as I understand from discussions couple of months ago, xinerama USE flag to applications (and thus options) may actually do something useful for running them under XRandr as well. Which would be dependent on what application does with the flag, of course. It is just my recollection, I do not have personal experience.
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
azp wrote:

Xrandr does, but as I understand from discussions couple of months ago, xinerama USE flag to applications (and thus options) may actually do something useful for running them under XRandr as well. Which would be dependent on what application does with the flag, of course. It is just my recollection, I do not have personal experience.

Aha, maybe there is some truth to that... I'll try rebuilding mplayer with xinerama to see!
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy to say that it actually worked! Even though I'm not actually using Xinerama, building with the xinerama use flag enabled mplayer's (and other applications') awareness of my two screens.

Epic Win! \0/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: