Grub weirdness
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Grub weirdness Reply with quote

As you may or may not recall, when I first installed Gentoo, I was unable to get Grub working. It was never able to install stage-1.5 onto my disk.

Since then, I've tried off and on to see if I could get it installed ("Maybe I've done something to make it work since I last tried..." :)), without any success. However, tonight was different. I was fooling around with grub after reading some grub-related posts, and I did the following:

> find vmlinux-2.4.19-r7-nosound

Which is the name of my kernel, of course. The answer came back:
(hd0,6)

Which I thought nothing much of, because that's what's supposed to happen on my box. So this time, I said
> root (hd0,6)
> setup (hd0,6)

And Eterm screwed up as it sometimes does and wrote a couple lines of text over itself, but I thought I had glimpsed success. I quit out of grub and went back in another console and did the following:

> find vmlinux-2.4.19-r7-nosound
Error 15: File not found

So I said, "Ah ha!" A different result, with no explanation (other than the fact that apparently whatever supreme being you might happen to believe in came down and made my computer work for a minute and a half, but no longer), so I'm not about try and do setup (hd0,6) again, because that would destroy the boot record.

So, being the adventurous fellow I am, I rebooted my machine. I also started getting my Gentoo boot CD, because I didn't think that there was a snowball's chance in hell that Grub was actually installed on my machine. However, lo and behold, the grub boot menu came up, and I got to choose to boot Linux.

So I've been trying for many minutes to get grub to say something other than "Error 15: File not found" without any success, which makes me sad, because when my new hard drive arrives in a few days, I'm going to re-partition stuff (so I can install gobs of operating systems for learning/fun), and I will no longer have the wonderfulness that is Grub, unless God once again decides to tell my computer how to work for a couple minutes.

So, my question is: does anyone have any idea what's going on? Why would Grub magically work once out of all the times I've done stuff, when I do it the same way every single time? I'm at a total loss.

Anyway, thanks if anyone comes up with anything. I guess I can sit and gaze fondly at my nice, purple gentoo boot menu for a few more days. I guess this is more of a "here is something for you to chew upon" than any sort of urgent question. Grub works now and I've got no real problem with lilo except that I destroy my boot sequence every so often when I recompile the kernel because I forget to rerun lilo.

Cheers.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. menu.lst is pointing to the proper location for your kernel?
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Bah! Reply with quote

Okay, I shouldn't be allowed to post things this late in the night.

I decided to go back and do a:
> root (hd0,6)
> setup (hd0,6)

anyway, just to screw with myself (I also did a > find /boot/vmlinux..., and it worked properly, so maybe I was delirious). It said, as always:

Quote:

Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0,6)"... failed (this is not fatal)
Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0,6)"... failed (this is not fatal)
Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0,6) /boot/grub/stage2 p /boot/grub/menu.lst "... succeeded
Done.

And then I rebooted, and it worked...

When I did this when I first installed gentoo, grub would be run by my main boot loader (XOSL, nifty windowing system type boot loader), and it would print "grub" and sit there forever. I know stage 1.5 is supposed to deal with whatever type of filesystem the boot partition is on, which is why I thought failing to embed it was causing my problems. I guess it really isn't fatal (as long as it's the right day of the week and the moon's aligned).

This still doesn't explain why Grub can't embed stage 1.5 on my drive. I haven't run into anyone else with this problem. Menu.lst is fine, and works like a charm. Anyway, I don't think this could possibly be a menu.lst problem, because we're dealing with stuff that comes before that. Does Grub have a problem sticking its stuff in beyond the 1024 cyllinder limit, because this partition is most definitely beyond that (I don't think that's the problem, though. My motherboard supports LBA, and I've even done the --force-lba option earlier in my quest for Grub).

Anyway, if the moderators want to kill this thread or lock it or whatever, that's fine, because it turns out I don't actually have a problem. Just a couple warnings that don't have any actual consequence (although they are kind of weird).

Thanks anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: