View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
f.kater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: close button in title bars sometimes hidden Reply with quote

Hi,
I am using fvwm2 (but this might appear also with other window managers): Mozilla sometimes lets pop up little windows which does not have the close button. I wonder why and how this works... Isn't it something what me and the window manager rule?! :?:
What could I do against it?
Felix
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: close button in title bars sometimes hidden Reply with quote

Are they javascript? Mozilla has a settings under advanced preferences to turn off unrequested windows. This turns off a lot of annoying adware junk.
f.kater wrote:
Hi,
I am using fvwm2 (but this might appear also with other window managers): Mozilla sometimes lets pop up little windows which does not have the close button. I wonder why and how this works... Isn't it something what me and the window manager rule?! :?:
What could I do against it?
Felix
f.kater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Naan,

I remeber this option in mozilla but I can't concider that, though. Too often these popup windows are necessary. I just wonder how and why mozilla has access to the layout of my title bar! In the worst case this leads to the folling situation: I close the main mozilla window (forget to use quit) so the popup (e.g. some advertisement) stays. I can't close it. I also can't restart mozilla because it is still loaded (the profile manager shows up instead). So I have to restart the x session...

I remember the same with ms-windows: Popup windows without a close button. How the hell do they access my titlebar? :evil:

Felix
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mozilla option actually disallows unrequested windows. So, javascript windows that you click on explicitly do still work. There are several ways you can create windows without borders in X/Xt (if you couldn't you would not be able to display menus for example, which are really not "special" in X as in Windows). You can kill your mozilla session from KDE's process guard or gnome equivalent or do "killall -HUP mozilla" from the console - no need to restart the X session :) There is also a useful command called "xkill" that makes it really useful to finish off things that are left hanging behind by misbehaving programs.

f.kater wrote:
Thanks, Naan,

I remeber this option in mozilla but I can't concider that, though. Too often these popup windows are necessary. I just wonder how and why mozilla has access to the layout of my title bar! In the worst case this leads to the folling situation: I close the main mozilla window (forget to use quit) so the popup (e.g. some advertisement) stays. I can't close it. I also can't restart mozilla because it is still loaded (the profile manager shows up instead). So I have to restart the x session...

I remember the same with ms-windows: Popup windows without a close button. How the hell do they access my titlebar? :evil:

Felix
f.kater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Naan, for your help.

I'd like to solve the problem like you say (mozilla -> prefs -> disable unrequested windows) but I recognized that e.g. my university's library won't show me the password validation popup window. Don't know exactly why - but it is absolutly dependent on the mozilla option mentioned above.

And, you're right, I could kill mozilla but all in all this isn't the way it should be...

I still beleve that it should be possible somehow to prevent my title bar button from disappearing! (What's to sense in it?) I haven't found a way, though. Are you using KDE? Do you sometimes get the same popup windows without a close button?

Best wishes,
Felix
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been quite a while since I used fvwm2, but did you turn on "DecorateTransient in your .fvwm2rc file? It will provide window decorations for transient pop-ups. It will be somewhere in your fvwm file.
f.kater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a very good idea.
But somehow it didn't help.

Maybe I'll find something similar in the .fvwm2rc...
'bye
Felix
f.kater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested in this subject:

I found out that the right most button (regardless what it is) of some browser's popup windows is hidden.
A workaround: Place a button with a close command (and maybe other commands grouped to a menu) also on the very left of the title bar. So you can still access the close command from there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: