Some thoughts about bootstrap for VM's
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N!Tr0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Some thoughts about bootstrap for VM's Reply with quote

Hi.
I use Gentoo as guest OS on some VMs, and I think that for easier deployment & maintenance it'll be good to add at least 2 things:
1) Include net-fs/nfs-utils in the stage3 (without this ebuild it's impossible to mount portage tree via NFS)
2) Create some "bootstrap" tarball, with precompiled (adapted for VM, or more generic modular) stable kernel and GRUB, for easy automated deployment of VMю
Also this things IMHO will be useful for deployment OS on real servers - because it'll take much less time for deployment of minimal working environment, and deployment will take less human's time.
Now I make my own 'bootstrap' tarball, with kernel, grub, nfs-utils and some other small, but useful stuff, but it requires to be periodically updated, which isn't enough comfortable - I still make it manually. So I have a question - is it possible to add this features into main repository? If yes - I'll try to help to create automated scripts for building bootstrap.
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might ask on IRC where all the developers hang out. I think your chances of succeeding are very slim, the stage3 are to provide a basic environment for building a Gentoo system. If they were to include everything everyone wants, then Gentoo could just as well provide stage4 tarballs right away.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think providing some kind of "stage4" tarballs or VM images might be a good addition. I don't think our release team would be very interested in this (altho it wouldn't hurt to ask), but individual initiatives are welcome. I know there were some individual projects (by either devs or users) in the past, but I'm not up to date on their status.
N!Tr0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rexilion wrote:
You might ask on IRC where all the developers hang out. I think your chances of succeeding are very slim, the stage3 are to provide a basic environment for building a Gentoo system. If they were to include everything everyone wants, then Gentoo could just as well provide stage4 tarballs right away.

I want only to include in stage3 just nfs-utils (as says qsize, it's weight is less than 0.5MB) - it's quite strange that there is no possibility to use NFS resources (nor other network resources) when booting from stage3+some kernel - so for every deployed VM or real server I need to create local copy of portage tree, then - install NFS and purge local portage.
Other stuff (just kernel+modules & precompiled grub - it's enough) for rapid gentoo deployment isn't needed in stage3 - it perfectly can be packed to distinct tarball.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: