Quick Verification on which installation I need
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Quick Verification on which installation I need Reply with quote

I need a 64 bit edition of Gentoo to install on my laptop. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo (2.8Ghz) and 4GB of ram. This is for a multi-OS booting setup. Do I need to grab the AMD64 stage III or is it something else?

Thanks in advance!

- TWK
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteKnight,

You need an amd64 liveCD to do the install and the amd64 stage3.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
TheWhiteKnight,

You need an amd64 liveCD to do the install and the amd64 stage3.

Thank you kind sir. It's been a long time since I was encouraged to get linux. The shop I work at now is all LInux / Solaris. Big change for me. Can't wait to get back into it. I see the live DVD installation and the minimal installation iso and the stage III tarball. Are those it?

- TWK
Rexilion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What NeddySeagoon means is that you need a working linux environment to compile Gentoo from the ground up.

With a working environment, that means any linux system (64-bit if you want to build a 64-bit system).

Examples of these environments are the linux live DVD's (gentoo minimal *or* gentoo dvd) or just another installed linux system. You could use Ubuntu for this purpose as well!

To build the system, you start with stage3.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteKnight wrote:
I see the live DVD installation and the minimal installation iso and the stage III tarball. Are those it?
As in other places, you have a choice to make. The minimal installation ISO will let you boot Linux so that you can use the stage 3 tarball and latest Portage tree to get going. However, as the name implies, it is a minimal setup. If you are comfortable using a command line until you get a GUI built, know how to work the network tools in case your NIC is not auto-configured, etc., then go for a minimal installation CD. It is smaller and is sufficient to get going. If you want an environment with more features to use while you compile, you might prefer the LiveDVD version.

If the machine in question already has a recent Linux (>=2.6.18, though the newer the better) of any distribution (Red Hat, Ubuntu, Debian, etc.) and you have root privileges on that installation, you can use that in place of the minimal install CD. If you do this, you will need enough spare partitions that you can create the Gentoo partitions without destroying the existing Linux install. This is easy if you have a spare hard drive. If you do not, you will need to shrink the existing partitions to make room, or use the LiveCD so that you can wipe the existing installation before you begin.
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in other places, you have a choice to make. The minimal installation ISO will let you boot Linux so that you can use the stage 3 tarball and latest Portage tree to get going. However, as the name implies, it is a minimal setup. If you are comfortable using a command line until you get a GUI built, know how to work the network tools in case your NIC is not auto-configured, etc., then go for a minimal installation CD. It is smaller and is sufficient to get going. If you want an environment with more features to use while you compile, you might prefer the LiveDVD version.

If the machine in question already has a recent Linux (>=2.6.18, though the newer the better) of any distribution (Red Hat, Ubuntu, Debian, etc.) and you have root privileges on that installation, you can use that in place of the minimal install CD. If you do this, you will need enough spare partitions that you can create the Gentoo partitions without destroying the existing Linux install. This is easy if you have a spare hard drive. If you do not, you will need to shrink the existing partitions to make room, or use the LiveCD so that you can wipe the existing installation before you begin.[/quote]

Thank you for all of the insight. I've been out the linux world for a long time now and I am having some trouble getting back into it. It looks like so much as changed with Gentoo. I looked for a GUI installer like or Ubuntu has. Is that the liveDVD? Well anyhow I am going to going to get it and try it out. I have Ubuntu on here as well as a Win7 partition. I can't really use Ubuntu due to there is a problem with Eclipse for it, so I'm switching to Gentoo.

- TWK.

P.S. What ever happened to the GUI installer that we had? I know there was one and it 'worked'?
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:

If the machine in question already has a recent Linux (>=2.6.18, though the newer the better) of any distribution (Red Hat, Ubuntu, Debian, etc.) and you have root privileges on that installation, you can use that in place of the minimal install CD. If you do this, you will need enough spare partitions that you can create the Gentoo partitions without destroying the existing Linux install. This is easy if you have a spare hard drive. If you do not, you will need to shrink the existing partitions to make room, or use the LiveCD so that you can wipe the existing installation before you begin.

Thank you for all of the insight. I've been out the linux world for a long time now and I am having some trouble getting back into it. It looks like so much as changed with Gentoo. I looked for a GUI installer like or Ubuntu has. Is that the liveDVD? Well anyhow I am going to going to get it and try it out. I have Ubuntu on here as well as a Win7 partition. I can't really use Ubuntu due to there is a problem with Eclipse for it, so I'm switching to Gentoo.

- TWK.

P.S. What ever happened to the GUI installer that we had? I know there was one and it 'worked'?
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteKnight wrote:

- TWK.

ehhh, if the old GUI installer worked for you, neato, but for most it was a catastrophe. It was since nuked, and there is no longer an "installer" as it were. Whether you choose the LiveDVD, or the minimal CD, you are still going to have to go through the handbook and do all of that mishmash. Meaning, you still manually partition the drives, manually fetch stage/portage, manually configure kernel (or well, genkernel, which has improved since the olden days, but that I still avoid like the plague)

The LiveDVD does nothing more than give you a few additional tools to make things more palatable/convenient for you while you go through the manual install.

Any livecd/livedvd from any distro will work, provided it has a relatively recent kernel, and the requisite tools (e.g. if you want to use LVM, you need one that supports it).

I personally do all of my installs using SystemRescueCD. It always has a more recent kernel than the official CD/DVD images, has all of the requisite tools, and has a working X environment if you need it so you can, for example, fire up a proper web browser while you do your install (though, I always do installs over SSH). Can't recommend it enough - it's built from Gentoo, so there are literally no deviations from the handbook required.

Anyway, I guess the key point to stress is, regardless of what medium you choose, you will be stuck going through the handbook and doing a manual install; there is no semi-automatic installer, as you the human are the installer.
gentoo-dev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteKnight wrote:
There was one and it didn't work...
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo-dev wrote:
TheWhiteKnight wrote:
There was one and it didn't work...

Hmmm... I seem to remember using it before and I can't remember what happened. I think I had luck with it. Let me ask then, why was it a disaster and what aspects about it didn't work?

It's not that I am making comparisons between the distros, because I really enjoy Gentoo and if feasible, it will be the only distro I use here at work, just wondering why the GUI installer was abandoned when Ubu and Suse have one. (not sure about RH / Debian, or other flavors).

- TWK
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteKnight,

There is anacdotal evidence that the installer trashed partition tables. It also had a bug on amd64 anyway, in that when it worked, it did not install grub, so the install could not boot.

Another issue is that it did an install based on a portage snapshot ... the last one was from February 2008, so the installer gives you a two year old install. Manything things have changed since then making it very difficult to update to todays Gentoo.

Think on this last point. Doing the manual install teaches you the skills to maintain your Gentoo. You miss that using the installer and practice updates on a system full of your valuable data. Its better to practice before you get to that stage.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
TheWhiteKnight,

There is anacdotal evidence that the installer trashed partition tables. It also had a bug on amd64 anyway, in that when it worked, it did not install grub, so the install could not boot.

Another issue is that it did an install based on a portage snapshot ... the last one was from February 2008, so the installer gives you a two year old install. Manything things have changed since then making it very difficult to update to todays Gentoo.

Think on this last point. Doing the manual install teaches you the skills to maintain your Gentoo. You miss that using the installer and practice updates on a system full of your valuable data. Its better to practice before you get to that stage.

You do make a good point, and I to be fair, I had a single core Thunderbird I installed it on. That is very true though about updates. I have the LiveDvD almost completely downloaded. So hopefully soon enough it will be off with Ubuntu and on with Gentoo.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use the installation DVD to open up a terminal and install Gentoo. Not to mention, you can actually install Gentoo from ANY live environment with a terminal emulator. Just follow the good ol' handbook, and feel free to post here if you have ANY questions along the way. Welcome back to Gentoo. :)
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathanZachary wrote:
You can also use the installation DVD to open up a terminal and install Gentoo. Not to mention, you can actually install Gentoo from ANY live environment with a terminal emulator. Just follow the good ol' handbook, and feel free to post here if you have ANY questions along the way. Welcome back to Gentoo. :)

You know (first off thanks) there are more people who come crawling back to Gentoo.....

The only problem is that gentoo's liveDvD wants a root password when I go to open a terminal ..... any clues as to what it is?
nikaya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteKnight wrote:
The only problem is that gentoo's liveDvD wants a root password when I go to open a terminal ..... any clues as to what it is?

10.0 FAQ wrote:
How do I become root?

Code:
$ sudo su -

From here: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/pr/releases/10.0/faq.xml#default

But I recommend the good old minimal-install-CD. That's all you need.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth be told, I have used the SystemRescueCD for installations for a LONG time now. I think it provides everything that I need. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: