hdd partiton full!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adramalech707
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: hdd partiton full!!! Reply with quote

i ran df in terminal the other day after i was updating world and well i ran out of space on my partition for gentoo!!! i was like wtf that is like a 24gb partition for gentoo and a 8gb partition for swap...

i found out that because broken files and left over crap was accumulating on directories of /tmp and other places from compiling packages...now is there any tips and tricks to make better use of the space on my hdd i am using -02 in make.conf and i have the kernel with -0s...

is there like a script i should make and run with the common places that crap accumulates at or is there a command i can run besides emerge --depclean that will get rid of junk i don't use or need?
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/make.conf wrote:

AUTOCLEAN="yes"

Code:
rm -rf /usr/portage/distfiles/*

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
lonrot_m
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

second what kernelOftruth suggested.

You can also look at /var/log , some logs can increase quite a lot.

Making a cron job would be a nice solution to erase stuff in certain directories
adramalech707
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay so make rm -rf /var/log/* and rm -rf /usr/portage/distfiles/* and rm -rf /tmp/* on say a bi-weekly or weekly basis in cron?
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adramalech707 wrote:
okay so make rm -rf /var/log/portage/* and rm -rf /usr/portage/distfiles/* and rm -rf /tmp/* on say a bi-weekly or weekly basis in cron?

fixed

I'd rather zero the following files in /var/log/ from time to time (after you've checked them):

syslog
kern.log
daemon.log
auth.log

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
whiteghost
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
  rm -rf /tmp/* 

what does the * signify?

edit: leave the /tmp folder and remove everything inside?
been wondering how to do that.

Last edited by whiteghost on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
loftwyr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

eclean distfiles

is much better than deleting them all. It'll keep all the ones that you may still need and delete all the others.
dreadlorde
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiteghost wrote:
Code:
  rm -rf /tmp/* 

what does the * signify?

edit: leave the /tmp folder and remove everything inside?
been wondering how to do that.
8O
adramalech707
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes using rm -rf /tmp/* is a little bit of a gamble but all the tmp stuff is just a place to put things that are only temporarily used and then either never used again or are rarely called upon i always get rid of it...but i was just wondering about a magic way to make it easier than having to remember all the dang directories that useless crap is always at...and thanks for the help...greatly appreciated it...i got rid of like 10% of the hdd wasted space!

and i rebooted and everything is fine....i believe that u should use as loftwyr stated the eclean distfiles so as in you don't remove something that will break some config file or some package....

another thing i found in google search is rm -rf old kernels that you don't need anymore or you don't use anymore....like i got rid of the 2.6.32-gentoo-r1 for r5 and am testing r6 and using the r5 for my main...but unless u make the kernel config file optimized for small space systems(meaning pass -0s instead of -02 or -03 you save like alot more space) each kernel i have is like 500-600mb of space taken up depending on if i went with -02 or -0s.... when i first found this out i had like 5 old kernels that i didn't use anymore now that is like 3gb of space taken up by just them.......
tgR10
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adramalech707 wrote:
yes using rm -rf /tmp/* is a little bit of a gamble but all the tmp stuff is just a place to put things that are only temporarily used and then either never used again or are rarely called upon i always get rid of it...but i was just wondering about a magic way to make it easier than having to remember all the dang directories that useless crap is always at...and thanks for the help...greatly appreciated it...i got rid of like 10% of the hdd wasted space!

about /tmp actualy there is
Code:
];-> grep -i wipe /etc/conf.d/*
/etc/conf.d/bootmisc:# Should we wipe the tmp paths completely or just selectively remove known
/etc/conf.d/bootmisc:wipe_tmp="YES"

about the other you have to play by yourself ;]

also check /var/tmp
if you are using mysql, the default configuration turns on binary logging if i'm correct, so /var/lib/mysql could grow hudge since it log all sql commands
http://userbar.tgr.debil.eu/userbar.jpg
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I present to you, SA1: Running out of disk space.

Also, don't delete stuff in /tmp on a running system - it might cause problems. Let bootmisc handle that for you!
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleasantly surprised by the various solutions. Especially 'eclean distfiles' was very nice.

About /var/log/, I think compressing old logs might also be a good idea, instead of deleting them.

I think, 'rm -rf /tmp/*' is not a good idea on a running system. Besides, /tmp/ is wiped clean anyway at startup - I guess it is a baselayout-2/openrc feature. (Good enough for my notebook which I shutdown at least once in a day or so. Nope, I don't use hibernate/suspend.) Need to be careful on desktops/workstations.

Meanwhile, a couple of folders that took up my space: /tmp/.private/root/kde-root/kio_thumbnail* and ~/.cache/ . I get rid of them using /etc/conf.d/local, but I guess a cron job is good too (with the only downside of affecting apps like chromium that use ~/.cache.) Another file that may grow is ~/.xsession-errors. (Long time back, due to a buggy qt, it used to grow so rapidly that I linked it to /dev/null :o.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: