What's your ebuild workflow?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admax88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: What's your ebuild workflow? Reply with quote

This is a question (or series of questions) for anyone who maintains an overlay and/or maintains ebuilds in the main portage tree.

1) Do you write ebuilds as a regular user on your computer and then copy them to some overlay as root to try installing?

2) Is there a way to test install an ebuild as a normal user?

3) What commands do you use for testing your ebuilds?

4) Is there a way to test say just the build step of your ebuild with having portage go through the install phase?

Or in general, what specifically is your workflow for testing and writing new ebuilds?

Every now and then I write or update an ebuild for a new package that hasn't been bumped in the main portage tree. I think this information would be helpful to gentoo users who like to help out and/or are thinking of becoming gentoo devs.

Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: I think this should probably have been in the "Gentoo Chat" forum sorry, mods please move if necessary
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: What's your ebuild workflow? Reply with quote

admax88 wrote:
1) Do you write ebuilds as a regular user on your computer and then copy them to some overlay as root to try installing?

There is no need to be root to copy stuff to your overlay, just adjust the permissions so your user has write acccess.

Quote:
2) Is there a way to test install an ebuild as a normal user?

You can use the "ebuild" command to test most phases as user if you're in the "portage" group. However for obvious reasons you can't actually install an ebuild to the live filesystem as user. Also if something in your ebuild requires root access then it obviously also won't work under your user account.

Quote:
4) Is there a way to test say just the build step of your ebuild with having portage go through the install phase?

Use the "ebuild" command to run through the individual phases.
admax88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I didn't even know about the portage group. That really makes life a lot simpler.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: