powerbook (rev III) audio recording capabilities
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: powerbook (rev III) audio recording capabilities Reply with quote

so, i wrote a little mixer program, just to get reaccustomed to audio OSS programming on linux ... i'd love to learn ALSA, but the pmac drivers didn't seem too happy last I tried them ... however, now I notice the OSS drivers for my revIII powerbook don't seem to support line-in or mic, which this model has ... yet looking through the kernel source, the dmasound_* driver files are riddled with HAS_RECORD defines, and that is turned on in the source (basically) if you have a pmac ... just for fun, here's my output so far:

Code:

]Name   volume    stereo  rec [
+----+----------+-------+-----+
Vol  : 62       stereo  no     
Bass : 39       mono    no     
Trebl: 39       mono    no     
Pcm  : 62       stereo  no     
Spkr : 11       mono    no     
Mix  : 0        stereo  no     
Pcm2 : 0        stereo  no

strangely, with an audio source plugged into the line-in which is calling itself "Pcm2", i can hear the audio through the speakers, and change its volume by altering the Pcm2 volume

now, has anyone had luck recording audio onto powerbooks? any rev of the powerbook? OSS or ALSA? please do tell -- i'm switching to ALSA if that works (is it still busted with pbbuttonsd? -- as far as the hardware volume buttons go?)
shr1nk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea this sounds interesting...

id like to record some lectures when i go to class...

on a side note, i noticed that when i put my pbook rev3 (just bought it last month) that sound dies on wake...
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: dies on wake? Reply with quote

my sound definitely does not die on wake -- are you using ALSA or OSS? and do you have pbbuttonsd (or pmud) running?

my sound definitely maintains after sleep, maybe i can help you fix that somehow
shr1nk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using oss complied directly into my kernel with pmud and pbbuttons running

the sound device does not give any errors, but makes no sound after a wakeup from sleep...its wierd cuz the pc thinks the sound works, just that there is no sound
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: you don't need both ... Reply with quote

you definitely don't necessarily need both pmud and pbbuttonsd ... pbbuttonsd can fully "take over" responsibilites that pmud offers ... in the gentoo ebuild of pbbutttonsd, the pbbuttonsd.conf file in /etc has "replace_pmud = yes" set by default, and, IMHO, pbbuttonsd works a lot less sketchily and offers more nice (e.g. "volume buttons" work) functionality

try not starting pmud at all, making sure pbbuttonsd "replaces pmud" in the conf file, give a reboot for good measure, and see if sleep works and sound doesn't die ... and, hrm, make sure in the pbbuttonsd conf file "speakers_muted = no" ... but I think that is the default as well ...

post here if it does, in case anyone else has this problem ...
Koalawalawala
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: sound on wake Reply with quote

I'm using a PB 1GHz, and my sound's fine after wake.
I use the 2.4.22-ben2 kernel sources, the relevant (modular) kernel sound drivers, and pbbuttons. I haven't tried recording from the 'line in' jack, but I have used some USB audio equipment.

My volume buttons work, but they've worked since I started using the 2.4.20 kernel...

-Koala
shr1nk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will try that
thanks!

i will let you know how it goes
shr1nk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i removed pmud from start up by do a "rc-update del pmud" and restarted my machine

it still does not have sound on wake....the replace pmud option is set in the pbbuttonsd.conf file in /etc....
cselkirk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested recording from audio-in on a rev-III Powerbook using alsa (0.9.6) and sox .. no joy.

As far as alsa goes, it works perfectly here, the odd latency here and there and pbbuttonsd will fail on boot if the audio is muted on shutdown (fixed with /etc/asound.state) but otherwise I'm fairly happy with it (I don't have any particular need for audio-in though).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: