View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nylle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Calendar application - preferably gtk2 Reply with quote

I'm looking for a calendar application, preferably gtk2 so it blends into gnome. But I'm open to any suggestions.

I wish I could use evolution, but it just can't compare to KMail feature wise (at least the features I use). So I'm stuck with KMail under gnome, and evolution is a bit too bloated to use for its calendar alone.

But I really need a calendar application, trying to juggle studies, work and other appointments has finally become to much work for my memory.
Megaptera
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider jpilot -- technically it's a Palm client, but it's got a calendar, task list, memo pad, and address book, and you're not required to sync it to anything if you don't want :) And it comes in GTK2 goodness.

Alternatively, keep your eye on the Sunbird project (I don't have a URL available) -- the Mozilla Calendar is getting the same streamlining as Browser and Mail (Firebird/Thunderbird). I don't think it's usable yet, though.
xlyz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megaptera wrote:
Alternatively, keep your eye on the Sunbird project (I don't have a URL available) -- the Mozilla Calendar is getting the same streamlining as Browser and Mail (Firebird/Thunderbird). I don't think it's usable yet, though.

there is a usable version, but it requires mozilla or firebird. you can find it here
bmichaelsen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try gnome-pim.

I was confronted with the same problem, other that you

Quote:
So I'm stuck with KMail under gnome

I decided to use sylpheed-claws as mailclient, because it is thin, fast and yet quite powerful.
Since I have no huge need for calendar operations I simply use the much more powerful fcron and app-vim/calendar :wink: (well, that is gtk2 isnt it ?)
Megaptera
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xlyz wrote:
there is a usable version, but it requires mozilla or firebird. you can find it here

That's not actually the Sunbird site -- it's the Moz Calendar site, but Sunbird will be standalone, not an extension to one of the other birds. I did manage to find this page, though. It gives what I assume is a Windows build; I'll try it out and report in a bit.
Nylle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmichaelsen wrote:

I decided to use sylpheed-claws as mailclient, because it is thin, fast and yet quite powerful.
Since I have no huge need for calendar operations I simply use the much more powerful fcron and app-vim/calendar :wink: (well, that is gtk2 isnt it ?)

Well, I tried Sylpheed-claws, but it doesn't have the features I need either. And even if I would switch, that still leaves the problem of the calendar application.
xlyz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megaptera wrote:
xlyz wrote:

That's not actually the Sunbird site -- it's the Moz Calendar site, but Sunbird will be standalone, not an extension to one of the other birds. I did manage to find this page, though. It gives what I assume is a Windows build; I'll try it out and report in a bit.

[ :twisted: :twisted: flame mode on :twisted: :twisted: ]

check what I said

[flame mode off]

:P :D
Ox-
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you build mozilla with USE="mozcalendar" you'll get the mozilla calender client built in right with everything else.

I'm going to check out jpilot I think, because I keep looking at korganizer and wishing I could have a gnome app instead :)
Megaptera
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xlyz wrote:
check what I said

I know, I'm just being nit-picky :) In my mind, the *birds and the Mozilla suite are different enough that I don't really think of them as the same program. When I tried the Calendar extension it had some big issues (like not being able to add entries), and I don't think they've put out a new build since I tried it, so I don't really consider it an option yet. Though really at this point I think it's probably just semantics; Sunbird isn't even at 0.1 yet.

Oh, just to be clear: When I said "I don't think it's usable yet, though" in my original post, "it"=Sunbird, not MozCal.
Nylle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ox- wrote:
If you build mozilla with USE="mozcalendar" you'll get the mozilla calender client built in right with everything else.

I'm going to check out jpilot I think, because I keep looking at korganizer and wishing I could have a gnome app instead :)

Argh, so I need to re-emerge mozilla? It's such a small and short build... ;)
piquadrat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nylle wrote:
Ox- wrote:

Argh, so I need to re-emerge mozilla? It's such a small and short build... ;)

Nope, just install the apropriate .xpi from the link above. You may need root access to install it (sudo mozilla should do it).
Nylle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the mozilla calender and while it looks promising, it seems even more heavy than evolution. I'll give it a try for a couple of days.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just built firebird and thunderbird - thx Gentoo ;) and I really like them. So if Sunbird is of same caliber that would be the calendar app to go. Cannot wait for a first preview...
Megaptera
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing with Sunbird a little bit (the Windows build) and I like it. It's definitely an improvement from the MozCal extension. Nice integration of the standard PIM calendar and task list, easy to get all your appointments and whatnot without having to flip through different screens or windows. Real slow, though, but that's to be expected this early in development. I'll wait and play with it more when there's a Linux build, but for right now I'm impressed at the improvement over the MozCal extension from the last time I used that.

I don't use the Moz Suite, so I couldn't say how or if it differs from that. I'm guessing that they're fairly similar at the moment, except for Sunbird being standalone.
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The popular Evolution ?

EDIT: They do have a GTK2 version right ?

would Big Brother become a reality?

Yeah . . . it would be just like the tv show. Except somebody would be watching.
Qball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i have more time (but that could easily take more then a year) I planned to make a "calendar" with my todo program..

http://qball.no-ip.com/test/index.php?s=44
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nempo wrote:
The popular Evolution ?

EDIT: They do have a GTK2 version right ?

Shame on Evolution - it cannot work with remote calendar files on WebDAV servers, like Mozilla Calendar does (as well as Mac's iCal).

I just tested Mozilla Calendar with Apache mod-dav and Zope (in Zope webdav is already there and do not require any additional software - every folder is available through webdav). A pleasant surprise - Zope webdav works much faster then Apache's one (why? perhaps ZODB).

I am planning now to parse those ics files in Zope and syncronize them further (automatically) with Plone Event Calendar.
vbenares
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a preview of the Moz Calendar anywhere?
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vbenares wrote:
Is there a preview of the Moz Calendar anywhere?

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/
jmz2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panserg wrote:
Shame on Evolution - it cannot work with remote calendar files on WebDAV servers, like Mozilla Calendar does (as well as Mac's iCal).

Evolution is more focused on corporate users who use Exhange or vCalendar.
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmz2 wrote:
panserg wrote:

Evolution is more focused on corporate users who use Exhange or vCalendar.

Too bad Evolution doesn't help to migrate from Exchange to something more reliable.

By the way, do you know any vCalendar servers?
jmz2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panserg wrote:
By the way, do you know any vCalendar servers?

Lotus Notes and MS Exchange should handle them. I don't have experience with them though. KOrganizer can do vCalendar files too, but it's not a server.
twisted_steel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any that can work with Outlook's Calendar? I have XP on my laptop with Outlook as my email client / organizer. I looked into exporting, but the only options available are CSV, MS Access, MS Excel, and Tab Separated. It doesn't seem like this would work with Evolution. I'd like to be able to export them on the laptop and share them with my desktop running Gentoo so I can keep my calendar up to date in both places.
twisted_steel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across a tool called Outport that can export the calendar data from my Outlook. I tried importing it in Evolution - and it worked :D. Now all I have to do is improve - or even better automate - the synching of data between my two computers.
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twisted_steel wrote:
I just came across a tool called Outport that can export the calendar data from my Outlook. I tried importing it in Evolution - and it worked :D. Now all I have to do is improve - or even better automate - the synching of data between my two computers.

Did you find any good software for such automation?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: